IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - I just don't give a duct

I'm playing with this more and the margin for error is tiny on the 17x9 wheels. If the hoses shift slightly, they will start to rub on the wheel. It might be time to switch to 18x9 wheels. I can't run the BFG Rival S, but the RE71R is available in 255/35r18.

I wondered about that. I've run the old RCE ducts with early Roo ducts with hoses and rubbed with 17x8.5 with 255/40/17 Nt01's. I swapped to Quantum, removed the backing plates and ran with no hose between the Roo and the Quantum. That seemed to work well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #102

I wondered about that. I've run the old RCE ducts with early Roo ducts with hoses and rubbed with 17x8.5 with 255/40/17 Nt01's. I swapped to Quantum, removed the backing plates and ran with no hose between the Roo and the Quantum. That seemed to work well.
I may try that. Right now it is about .5" away from the wheel when facing a few degrees inward, the rest of the time the hose is either compressed or expanded enough for plenty of clearance.

If the air is moving quickly enough it probably can make the "jump" over to the quantum. I just wonder how much airflow I'd be sacrificing. Really don't want to buy new wheels!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

would shortening the hose help at all? or does it need that much length for full lock?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #104

would shortening the hose help at all? or does it need that much length for full lock?
That's the tricky part. If I run just the shortest hose for full lock, then when it compresses it pushes outward and impacts.

I'm having to put the correct amount of "twist" in the hose so that as it expands/compresses it stays tight to the strut.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

I may try that. Right now it is about .5" away from the wheel when facing a few degrees inward, the rest of the time the hose is either compressed or expanded enough for plenty of clearance.

If the air is moving quickly enough it probably can make the "jump" over to the quantum. I just wonder how much airflow I'd be sacrificing. Really don't want to buy new wheels!
At my track day in July I found out there was good airflow with my setup. The driver side hose which was just stuffed behind the fog lamp housing fell back behind the fog housing blocking the added airflow. I posted the visual results in my journal. I cooked the brake fluid in a very aggressive braking session chasing an old Z28. So I will be modifying the fog lamp covers as I should have done years ago.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

At my track day in July I found out there was good airflow with my setup. The driver side hose which was just stuffed behind the fog lamp housing fell back behind the fog housing blocking the added airflow. I posted the visual results in my journal. I cooked the brake fluid in a very aggressive braking session chasing an old Z28. So I will be modifying the fog lamp covers as I should have done years ago.
Can you link me to that post?

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

Well, I'll never claim to be a body man. Ugly, but out of sight. It should be cured today, so I'll test fit the bumper and show you guys how it looks on the front. I painted the insides black, so it won't look like random plastic behind the splitters when you look though them.

Initial impressions? I'm very happy with this little guys from Rooducts. They will require me to trim the fender liner even more, but I think it will be worth it. Using the fog light holes didn't appeal to me when we've got some air vents already.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

I just rivet'd mine on to the bumper. Luckily my car is white so no extra painting needed. Good idea on the paint.

·
Registered
901 Posts

I'll be putting on these. Custom made by a guy I know.
Looks like yours have a bigger outlet diameter.
Either way should work fine!
:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)

Well, ducting and bumper is done. Just gotta trim the fender liners and reinstall. I'm having my DBA rotors machined, they got pretty uneven from the brake cooling issues I had.

I can't decide on running the DS3000 again or switching to the DS1.11. I've got a 3 day event at Circuit of the Americas in February.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)

-Brake rotors back from machining
-Fitted the fender liners
-Replaced my lithium ion battery
-Added fender braces

Got the car buttoned up.

Doing some backroads driving it is pretty funny how well the ducting works. Difficult to build proper heat into the brakes!

Still undecided which brake pad to use at COTA in February.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - COTA Bound

Well, swapped on some new DS3000 pads after getting the car re-assembled. Also purchased RE71R's for this season of HPDE and autocross.

I'm driving to Austin tomorrow, the 25th, for a 3 day HPDE at Circuit of the Americas. Two friends of mine are coming along, one has a Cayman S, the other a 600hp+ BNR34. This will be 6 total hours of track time, so I'm bringing extra oil and extra pads.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Lucky you.....CoTA......really interested in reading your impression.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)

What a weekend!

My buddy in the Cayman S and I drove down to Austin from Monroe on Thursday. Checked in with MVP Tracktime at the hotel and swapped wheels in the parking lot. This was his first event since his RX8 R3 was totaled by a teenager crossing an intersection into him.

Another friend trailered his BNR34, but had to stop in Houston to pick up some barrels of Q16.

Some things we saw at the hotel.

Friday

We ended up renting 2 of 4 garage slots just to experience it. They ended up having a lot of rules about the garage surface. My jack was actually unable to fit under pinch welds while on a block of wood.

Friday was interesting for the three of us. I think the garage was cursed, as the silver formula car in the stall with us (pictured above) burned to the ground on track. Bill was able to jump out, but the electrical system kept pumping fuel into the flames.

STi: blew an intercooler hose and lost boost in the last session of the day
Cayman S: boiled brake fluid repeatedly using Pagid Yellows, Motul 600 and GT3 brake ducts
Skyline: Oil pressure dropped to 0PSI coming into paddock

Tyler in the Cayman and I had run COTA in iRacing a bit to learn the layout line, so first day we were catching a lot of folks that seemed to be just learning the line. 3/4 sessions were packed with traffic, it wasn't until the last run of the day there was some clear air. Ten minutes in I lost all boost.

That evening we fixed STi, bled the Cayman, and troubleshooted the RB28 in the BNR34.

Saturday

The Skyline was officially dead, so Chris towed it to Alamo to pull the engine. He was hoping it might be possible to pull an all nighter, but no spare oil pumps.

Cayman still experienced boiling fluid. After speaking to a few other Cayman guys on track they all said, "Castrol SRF". Tyler left for winding road near lunch break to buy some $75 a bottle fluid. I stuck around and continued to run.

Between session #3 and session #4 we bled the Cayman. During session #4 I was able to hit a 2:41.78 with light traffic. However the RE71Rs were feeling pretty greasy. Additionally I was starting to get some judder again in the STi brakes, so I swapped the completely glazed pads to some brand new DS3000's. COTA is killer on brakes and some drivers that used to run Subaru told me to run XP12 out here next time.

The Cayman had zero issues with fluid overheating on the SRF.

Sunday

The Trans Am in the garage with us split a rotor in half, so wasn't there. Continuing the garage curse.

I dropped pressures on the RE71R for the first 2 sessions and really hated it. Car really got some low speed grip and was able to run the very later entry lines into Turn 1 and Turn 11, but high speed sweepers it suffered and had a lot of roll over and traction loss. After lunch I bumped pressures back up and carried more speed into the sweepers.

Traffic was light again later in the day, but I never beat my Saturday time. Honestly I was still playing with lines and braking points. We had 6 hours on track, but it would take more time for me to find my favorite line.

Normally I run the Rival, but decided that I should try either the new RE71R or Rival S. I'm happy with the grip, but the wear is hilarious.

That afternoon swapped the street wheels back on and drove back to Monroe.

Track impressions
I first saw COTA in 2012 when formula 1 came to the USA. We sat at Turn 12 and thought the track was amazing. I've been hoping to drive it ever since.

Between 2012 and now I has been doing some more track driving, iRacing, and autocross. I was a little worried that COTA being a grand prix circuit for F1 cars, that something like my STi would be boring. Well, I was wrong. What a great course. Honestly it was very challenging, since there are a few compromised apexes, plus the insane braking zones into T1 and T12. It is cost prohibitive to run it all the time, but I think once a year would be my goal.

We had some typical HPDE issues that weekend.
-GT3s that kill it on straights, but park in corners, then pass people without points. :busted:
-Heavy traffic
-Cars off track
-Whining during driver's meetings

Videos
I'll probably add more later.
https://goo.gl/photos/cg6eGPnbiYmsD7T27
https://goo.gl/photos/gn6NamUz9dAkrgPU7
Just a Saturday afternoon drive at Circuit of the Americas - YouTube
Out for a Sunday drive - YouTube
COTA shaky overlay in Harry's Laptimer - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

I'm hoping because hospital server is why I can't see images.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts