·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - Track Day Bro

RooDucts, I know a place that has some in-stock.

paired with the quantum knuckle mount and some hose you're golden.

If you don't want to use fog light ducts there is another solution that uses the lower brake duct hole on the 04/05 bumper.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - Track Day Bro

I'll shoot you a PM.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - I just don't give a duct

I highly suggest some gold foil on the passenger side one where it faces the exhaust manifold. It gets hot there.

i used rivets and zip ties on the bumper duct to secure it to the bumper.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Investigating some vibration under braking. I thought it was from the pad/rotor glaze, but I found the problem.

Ugh, next track day is 5/30. Guess this Autozone axle will have to do for now.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

Very wet track at MSR yesterday, so we didn't run the 1.7. We ran the 1.3 instead.

Tried out Harry's laptimer. Luckily I was on my Continental DW tires, they were a lot better in these conditions than the rivals. Early morning it was soaked and people were going off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

Had an HPDE on Saturday, but it was cut short after I experienced some vibration in the front end under heavy braking. One of the instructors was sure the LCA ball joint was failing. After lifting the car he pushed and pulled on the wheel showing some vertical play back and forth. Each side did this, but I wasn't convinced this was the issue.

I'll disassemble the front end and inspect the components. Part of me wants to blame the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Had an HPDE on Saturday, but it was cut short after I experienced some vibration in the front end under heavy braking. One of the instructors was sure the LCA ball joint was failing. After lifting the car he pushed and pulled on the wheel showing some vertical play back and forth. Each side did this, but I wasn't convinced this was the issue.

I'll disassemble the front end and inspect the components. Part of me wants to blame the wheel bearings.
I would imagine you'd notice some howling/whirring noises long before you got any play from a wheel bearing. If the play is strictly vertical, I'd have to agree with the instructor that it's a ball joint. My ball joints failed rather quickly once I switched to coilovers and lowered the car a bit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Their roll center kit? I would if your car is lowered a decent amount. The only negative things I've hear about their stuff is that the boots aren't too durable and the ball joint can walk out of the knuckle a bit over time due to the extra leverage on it. It was on my "to do" list before I decided to go back to ASP.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

Installed the Whiteline stuff over the weekend, and sanded my rotors/pads. My alignment guy I always use is out on vacation, so finding a place that knows what camber plates are and is willing to do custom settings it tough.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #94

Well, five events in this year and five 1st place finishes in SM, but SM is a bit thin this year. I've lost the other STi that I would battle and some others.

Right now I'm 4th in PAX standings, but still many events to go.

Went to move an RB block last night and spotted a wild skyline.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

This season of AX is almost over. Currently 1st in class, somewhere around 8th - 10th in PAX.

Just got back from MSR, Cresson over the weekend. Had a great time on the 1.3. This was the first time running it in the dry, so had to adjust my line a bit and was still pretty chicken on the hill.

First part of the day I ran 1:11 - 1:10 consistently without traffic. We looked at telemetry of my run and the Apex President was able to show me a few places I could pick up speed. I agreed, as one of them was the hill. Still a bit too chicken to WOT up and over.

The other was my min speeds compared to some of the light FR cars. My car tends to really plow, so I slow it down a lot, get it pointed, then power on early. Always felt like that was the right thing to do with a high traction AWD. So I followed some FR cars and tried to emulate the entry speed. The car generally complained and front washed a bit, but I think it overall made me faster on most corners.

Got a 1:09.38 on the last session. I'm happy with that, as conditions were worse for great laptimes that late in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd7EudVyq-0

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

I've been putting off the brake ducts due to needing the car for AX and HPDE events, plus not having much free time to wrench.

Got started on Monday IIRC. Drilled and tapped holes for the rooducts, mounted the hub adapters, then played with routing of the hoses. Main thing was to clear the wheel/tires at any steering angle.

Right now structural adhesive is curing on the bumper inlets. Rather than use the foglight holes, I am using the splitter opening. Rooducts have these available, but I haven't seen them used very often.

Hose was too high in this picture, the wheel would rub on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Interested to see how the ducting works out. What are your tire/wheel specs?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

Interested to see how the ducting works out. What are your tire/wheel specs?
255/40r17 BFG Rivals on 17x9 wheels.

I've cooked DS2500s and DS3000s at the track without ducting. I'm considering DS1.11, hopefully with the ducting I don't see any overheating issues. I'm getting extreme brake judder, uneven rotors, and cooked fluid.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Looking good!! The 04/05 bumper inlets are pretty rare pieces. I know of 2 people running them so far. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

I'm playing with this more and the margin for error is tiny on the 17x9 wheels. If the hoses shift slightly, they will start to rub on the wheel. It might be time to switch to 18x9 wheels. I can't run the BFG Rival S, but the RE71R is available in 255/35r18.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts