IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - 4lb Lithium battery

I still need to buy some tires, but I keep putting it off in hopes that BFG Rivals go on sale.

Last event of 2014 I placed 8th in PAX in an STS Miata beating out 4 other STS Miata drivers. A different STS Miata beat me and got 7th in PAX.

I got to drive the new STi again during some fun runs. I'm not familiar with the settings, but had it in sport #, auto diff. Initially due to my habits driving the Miata all day I had some serious understeer cooking it into a corner. Once I backed off the car was happy.

Part of my mind wants to sell my STi, sell my Trueno Sprinter, and get the newer STi. That way I can just stay in B-street and leave the mod wars.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - 4lb Lithium battery

Year end results for 2014 were posted.

I ended up 6th in PAX and 1st in class. My wife was 13th in PAX and 3rd in class.

My idea to get a newer STi has drastically changed. Back in 2013 I purchased a BNR32 before the prices rose and before legal for import. The car stayed in Japan for over a year after I purchased it. She is now legal, titled, insured and home! The car is great as a street car, it has spoiled me.

Right now I've got two options. Keep the STi and keep autocrossing it. The other option is to part it out a bit, then sell, using the remaining cash to buy something "cheaper", but better to class. Miata, S2000, etc.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - GT-R is home

So jealous! More pics of gtr!

I think all of your options sound good.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Congrats on getting the car stateside!! looks awesome!

·
Registered
815 Posts

Thanks for posting the photos Carl! It looks like an immaculate car. This gives me hope for the future. I've always been a fan of R32's.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

Well, quick update. Gotta buy tires for the new season.
Hankook RS-3's are $605 total for 255/40r17 right now on tirerack. I guess I may give them a shot this season. That's $200 savings over the Rivals.

Had an off leaving spectating at the 100 Acre Wood Rally. I wasn't even hooning. :(

I'll be out $1k in deductible. The front lip on the FXT is $495 from Subaru.

The GT-R got ceramic pro 9h coated about 2 weeks ago.

Left my stupid application development job at jpmorgan chase on 2/23/15 and started my new job on 3/2/15. Still doing SQL ninja stuff.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

congrats on the new gig!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)

First event of the year was 3-22.
I went with Rivals again for 2 reasons.
1. RS3s were not available until after 3-22
2. Rival S were not available until after 3-22

Ended up being kind of moot, as the event was nearly standing water on the course all day. I could have just ran my street tires. :) RAW was 5th IIRC, but I PAX'd at 13 which is low for me and the car. Insert weather condition excuses here.

The course was fast. I had to go to 3rd gear twice per run. This isn't our usual lot, so we won't be back until event #8.

Next month on 4-18 I'll be at MSR Cresson, Texas running with Apex if anyone wants to come play. 4-19 is Event #2 of the year, so I'll try to come home after the track day and autocross the following morning. An entire weekend of racecar!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

why no RE71R?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

it's the new bridgestone 200 tread wear street tire. It apparently is amazing. Drives and grips like a hoosier A6, but better in the rain.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Some rumors claim that they also wear like hoosier A6's.. but who ever said "street tires" had to have a decent lifespan :lol:

I'm waiting on some long term testing results on all of the new tires before I buy something else! ... by then another new tire will be released probably...

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Some rumors claim that they also wear like hoosier A6's.. but who ever said "street tires" had to have a decent lifespan :lol:

I'm waiting on some long term testing results on all of the new tires before I buy something else! ... by then another new tire will be released probably...
The endless cycle of street tires. :lol:

RS3 FTW, Z2 FTW, shit Rival FTW, shit RS3 v2 FTW, Z2* FTW, RE71R FTW. :lol:

Maybe bridgestone is trolling the 200 tread wear figure.

Jeez, that sounds like SCCA will ban that one from street use.
I don't know, it still qualifies as 200 treadwear and it's single compound through the life of the tire IIRC.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - MSR Trip

Went to MSR Cresson on 4-18-15.

I start adding speed once tires are up to temp. Picks up the most around the 6min mark.

Loud EWG

That night we drove back to Monroe, LA. Got up early Sunday morning and drove to Bossier City for Autocross. :D

Ended up 1st in class, 8th in PAX, 2nd in RAW.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts