IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - The heat is on

rubbing alcohol will evaporate faster but it removes less heat while it's doing it.

cold water is still the best (and cheapest). :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

I have a series of small valves that T off my stock IC sprayer that I can plug section of hose and a wand into. Jam a quarter under the IC Sprayer button and walk around the car to spray down tires and spray down the engine bay.

I've got a big 12L STI tank in the trunk.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Along with garden sprayer I am planning some improvements for cooling.

-Move the hella horns out of the grill path
-Pillarless grill
-Oil cooler

Pending oil cooler parts list;
10' of -10 AN Hose (4-5ft for each line)
6' of firesleeve (exhaust manifold gets hot)
2x 90 -10 AN fittings (bottom of cooler)
2x 45 -10 AN fittings (sandwich plate)
Mocal 13 row 235 series
Mocal mounting bracket
2x Mocal 1/2 BSP to -10 AN fittings
Mocal sandwich plate

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Do you have an equal length manifold yet?

planning on getting one?

before you order take that into account.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts

230F is perfectly fine for oil.

If you start road racing, an oil cooler would be a good idea. The real trouble is when you're passing 260F, especially if the oil is not up to the task.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts

Also, as far as your oil cooler choice... Might want to look at that again. The cooler you listed is good for about 170-200 hp.

This should help you:

Setrab Engine Oil Coolers | susa

Compare with:

BAT, Inc. - MOCAL Oil Coolers

On my S2000, I have the Setrab 50-619-7612 (220-310 hp)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

^ I'll keep that in mind. I always thought 200-220 was where you wanted to be.

I run Rotella T6 and RX-8 filters exclusively right now.
Do you have an equal length manifold yet?

planning on getting one?

before you order take that into account.
Intially I was 100% on board for the Killer B setup with their new EWG uppipe. Because racecar!

However, currently I really love the inefficient sound of the ULH. Plus I am planning on keeping the car for maybe another 1-2 years. The newer STi has sparked my interested and I could run a stock class instead of SM. Right now I am just wishy washy about what I want to do car wise. Every couple weeks I switch from wanting to replace the STi to wanting to keep it.

I have a few cars and I can't really decide on my long term goals.
-05 STi (Not sure if I want to keep it, since nothing new really fits the bill to replace yet)
-08 FXT (Wife's car, it isn't going anywere)
-01 Prelude w/ CL1 swap(Currently needs lots of work and I don't have the time. Selling it isn't an option though. I love it.)
-89 Skyline GT-R (Will probably sell in a year. 100% Stock, so I could never mod it)
-85 Trueno Sprinter (Will try to sell soon, since I don't need two RHD old cars)
-85 Corolla GT-S

One part of my brain says to keep the STi for a few more years since it does well for autocross. That part of my brain also wants to flare it and run 305s. The other half says I'll end up spending thousands on wheels, tires, bodywork, etc and only make the car hit more cones.

1st world problems.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - Show me your grill

Event #4
Code:
http://mixedaperture.com/theabide/jason's%20event%201%20june%2014_fin.htm
http://mixedaperture.com/theabide/jason's%20event%201%20june%2014_pax.htm
http://mixedaperture.com/theabide/jason's%20event%201%20june%2014_raw.htm
#1 in class, #3 in Raw, #8 in PAX.
My wife was #6 in class, #17 in Raw, #22 in PAX.

Not a very enjoyable autocross. Hot and long. We had some safety concerns and the sentiments were not shared by some of the veterans. Pretty frustrating to have people sitting under a under a timing tent and tell the corner workers to suck it up butter cup.

Similar to my normal results, but my 2 runs sub 81 seconds were all +1. I lowered the rear compression settings by 2. The car felt really nice and planted. Lot less oversteer. The main problem was me driving like a pissed of teenager the entire day. It was a little disheartening to get some fast runs, then find out you coned.

The garden sprayer helped out a lot, but I'd like to look into an automatic sprayer mod. Not sure if that is legal in SCCA. I may try a small engine fan with alligator clips for the battery and a bag of ice in the grid.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

automatic how?

boost activated while on course isn't allowed.

always on while in grid or staging is fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Yeah, I was thinking boost controlled. If always on is allowed, then I may look into the Spec C tank. Anyone know the flow rate of the sprayer? 12 runs per day due to a co-driver, so it may not last. Guess I can tote some water jugs.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking boost controlled. If always on is allowed, then I may look into the Spec C tank. Anyone know the flow rate of the sprayer? 12 runs per day due to a co-driver, so it may not last. Guess I can tote some water jugs.
the Spec C Tank is 12L

that's a lot of water

run it half full, bring extra water if need be.

You can't run any sort of exterior cooling while on course.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)

Work has been a nightmare the past 2-3 months. I actually missed an event, this doesn't happen!

Nothing has been changed on the car exept oil. Still have some 07 STi braces staring at me, just waiting to be installed.

My wife and I chaired the 7th event of the year for our region yesterday. Very hot, but still had a blast. We even dropped a pivot cone into the mix. There what seemed like 10 miatas out, so they enjoyed this course for being tight and with constant transitions. The mustang and f-body guys weren't so happy. I took #1 in RAW and 4th in PAX. My wife was 12th in PAX.

We've been using bags of ice on the intercooler plus the sprayer between runs. This has been helping a lot with the heatsoak. The intercooler becomes cool enough to touch comforably in the grid.

Bonus item for me was getting to do a fun run in a 2015 STi. Such a fantastic chassis and suspension setup for being stock. It would not take much to make it nationally competitive in B Street. If 2016 sees the facelift, then I may be upgrading and not worrying about mod wars in SM class.

Friend of mine recorded his best run in a stock Miata.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - 4lb Lithium battery

One of my autocross buddies is the store manager of an advanced auto parts. They've been selling a ton of lithium batteries to locals. My Odyssesy SGM battery died earlier this month, so I decided to give a 4lb 500CCA battery a shot.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

So far so good on the lithium battery. The car actually cranks faster and easier than on the old SGM. The only thing I am worried about is the failure rate that lithium batteries seem to have. This is the first mainstream one I have seen, but it is meant for small engines.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Wow, 4 pounds!

IIRC, the OEM battery is something like 32 pounds.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)

Broke a wheel stud at the last event while swapping on my autocross wheels, so I co-drove a friend's Miata. Had a blast, but it was much more of inertia car. We had issues getting heat into the Rivals, cool day and light car. I nearly beat the owner on 2 runs but grazed the same cone twice without even realizing it.

His best run.

One of my runs that I messed up.

I decided to replace the front studs with ARP while I was in there and install some new DBA 4000 rotors. Again, I'm going to run Ferodo DS2500s. My wife and I will bleed the system later today.

It has been two seasons plus street miles and the Rivals are officially dead. They are beginning to de-laminate. RS3s are much cheaper right now, so I'm debating going that route.

edit: forgot that I also changed the rear diff fluid.

41 - 60 of 143 Posts