IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
alright - just got done taking almost the whole day installing these bad boys. Figured it'd be a little challenging since a lot of non-body shops around here refuse to try installing them and I now know first hand why. Unless you've done a bunch, it just takes a long time to test and tune on top of the importance of not screwing up the cuts.

Everything is pretty straight forward but specific to GR's, here's what I would have found useful knowing before hand:

1. There are really only a couple areas you can mount the poles: either where I mounted or where it looks like SLC:STI mounted. anywhere else looks a little awkward.

2. The latches are going to "flex" a little no matter where you mount them because they are flat and the hood is curved. This causes some minor issues when trying to seat them and get the poles to align but not a big deal.

3. Where I mounted the poles, on the passenger side one the pole is too long and needs to be cut down or else it runs into the whatever is on the other side of the radiator.

4. To properly mount the latches, each little bolt that that secures the latch assemblies on the hood have mini nuts and washers that need to go on. while you need to cut a pattern for the latch itself, you need to cut holes or a giant hole (like I did) on the bottom side of the hood to access those bolts. Mine looks horrible now but I'm going to clean up the cuts tomorrow.

Aside from that, its straight forward but just takes time to plan the cuts, adjust and just move things around to get alignments right.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
^^^ ok so now that these are installed. Did these aerocatches help with the hood looking like it's always opened issue?

Sent from my iPhone4 using taptalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
is this better than the vents to release heat/pressure for top mount at track?

Not sure if its better or not. I have noticed a massive amount of bugs in the engine bay now :tdown:. So the other might be better for this simple fact.

Ya LRs represent in the carbon hood department!

Here are the pics of my install almost the same as gaguilarsti, but i went out on the sides b/c it was the only place i could get the aerocatches to lay flush.

I don't know why i cant get the images smaller sorry

Now i just need dampers so i don't have to look all ghetto and prop my hood open with a broom handle.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Just ordered the mounting plates:domo:

Those if you using the aerocatches... Is that all your using or are you still using the stock latch also?
Is the going consensus to not use the OEM dampers on the CF hood?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I still use the stock latch bc it has the lock on it and the hood came with the pin . I know two other guys around me with no dampers so far either.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just saw my hood after being painted. Doesn't look too bad, but there's pinholes in the paint in some spots, and bubbles in others. All of them along the edge of the hood. I'm not sure what the body shop will be willing to do to touch them up...sorry OT. I'm just ranting because I was supposed to pick it up today.

On topic, they left my dampers unbolted from the hood, and I was wondering if I should try to bolt them up and see if they'll throw the alignment out of wack or bow the hood, or just remove them and deal with a prop for now... This is so irritating.

For those that installed the Aerocatches, did you have to cut that big *** hole in the bottom? I have the Password JDM plates and was hoping they'd prevent me from having to mangle the bottom.

Lastly, can you guys that have reattached the factory air splitter post up some pics, I'm going to have to tackle that too, the damn body shop won't even do that or my sprayer nozzles. FML

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I cut off the OEM style latch since it wasn't working well for me. Going to eventually remove the actual latch for further weight savings. My Aerocatches are the locking kind, so it's still secure. I'm having absolutely no issues using both stock dampers. Hood alignment is great. I don't see how it can cause alignment issues if I can close the hood, not latch the Aerocatches, and the hood doesn't even try to lift at all.

Are you guys sure you have the dampers installed in the right set of holes? They should be in the more forward set. The rear set is for holding it up during engine removals.

STIdad, I didn't have to cut such large holes, but it made everything easier. Lining up the the plates is a pain because it's a curved surface. I actually had to retap one hole on each plate since it mucked up the threads a little trying to get the screw started.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Are you guys sure you have the dampers installed in the right set of holes? They should be in the more forward set. The rear set is for holding it up during engine removals.
I'll have to double check, but I think I'm in the correct holes(pun intended). When you say rear set... I'm guessing you mean the holes closer to the window?

As it sits now. I can lower my hood and not latch it and it will not raise from the dampers. I've been assuming the reason the hood always looks open was because of the dampers, but that doesn't look like it's the case now. I guess I just need to get my aerocatches installed in order to get the hood to close more...?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Here you go STIdad:

I had to use two bolts (one on each end) because the factory clips kept breaking in that spot. I had some other factory clip casualties too. You can see I started drilling holes for the rubber grommet piece, but I ended up just leaving it off. Not really worth it. The main reason I wanted that was so water wasn't running off the inside of the scoop onto the bare alternator.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Same here - I'm using the stock hood latch as well for added security (my aerocatches are not the ones with locks so without the stock hood latch, someone can just walk up and pop the hood).

No aligment or bowing issues.

I was already FMIC when I put the CF hood on so I didn't even try putting the stuff back on.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts