IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found any hood dampers to use with carbon fiber hoods for a GR?I searched and found someone talking about the NRG dampers, but I can't find any for a GR?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the crawford CF hood, and right now have to attach and detach the stock damper every time I put the hood up and down... it's a PITA! Looking for a better alternative?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the crawford CF hood, and right now have to attach and detach the stock damper every time I put the hood up and down... it's a PITA! Looking for a better alternative?
So there are no gas spring mounts on this - just the hinge plates? Weird.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
yeah ive had my seibon hood for over a year or so and still havnt found a good solution. im about to just use a hood prop if no one will make lightweight dampers for our cars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine being a factory hood and facotyr hood struts. If your carbon fiber hood doesnt have a mounting "numb" on on them then its going to be hard to even reliable mount an aftermarket set to the car. Its more up to who makes your hood then anything.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem isn't mounting holes, I think all the CF hoods I've seen have the correct mounting for the stock dampers? The problem is the stock dampers being far too strong for a light weight CF hood. If I do have the stock dampers attached when I close the hood it bends the hood up and throws off the alignment. I've also heard of this potentially cracking the hood over time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The problem isn't mounting holes, I think all the CF hoods I've seen have the correct mounting for the stock dampers? The problem is the stock dampers being far too strong for a light weight CF hood. If I do have the stock dampers attached when I close the hood it bends the hood up and throws off the alignment. I've also heard of this potentially cracking the hood over time.
Why not just change the gas pressure in the gas spring, or order new ones at a lower pressure? Since the CF hoods are lighter, they should work at a lower pressure, wind notwithstanding.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good idea in theory. But, I have not been able to find out how much pressure our OEM ones exert... If we knew that, we could find a set with the correct dimensions, and be set...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm moving to a FMIC/GT3076R and considering going to the Crawford CF scoop-less setup. If I do that, I'll make the force measurements on the OEM springs and both hoods and order some new gas springs. I'll let everyone know what I end up getting. I've ordered a number of custom gas springs for other applications before.

Good idea in theory. But, I have not been able to find out how much pressure our OEM ones exert... If we knew that, we could find a set with the correct dimensions, and be set...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Bump for this problem....
Did anyone ever try the dampers for the Spec-C aluminium hood on their carbon version? (available on japanparts) I'm sure i read somewhere they should work with a carbon hood, maybe it was somewhere on that website

·
Registered
761 Posts
What larger gap?

You mean you force the hood closed with the stiffer dampers installed?

Sheesh. No wonder ppl need to use hood latches.
No, I do not have to force anything. When you use the both of the stock dampers, it pushes up on both sides a little, creating a small gap between the fenders and hood. But, if you only use one stock damper, it pushes up on the corresponding side.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts