IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a feeling that there are a lot of us that try to keep as street legal as possible but just don't know which products are CARB approved.

CARB approved products so far, please double check year and make for these products since CARB is year and make specific;

1. SPT Turbo Intake (click here for make and model)
2. Prodrive Cold Air Intake (2004-2005 STI, Be careful, the Prodrive does not include 2006 WRX, STi)
3. Injen Wrinkle Red Cold Air Intake 2002, 2004 (2003 is still pending) WRX, STi.
4. Mad Dad Catted Down Pipe (To clarify; the only thing that is CARB approved on this peice is the CAT nothing else).
5. K & N Typhoon Short Ram (2002-2006 WRX STi) Check post #48 for image of CARB Sticker

CARB's website; http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
So far the SPT is the only CARB approved Intake for the 06' WRX, STi.
Please inform me if there's any other products not listed.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
RAPTR said:
I don't know if this is where I shuld post this but I thought it would be a good suggestion. Thanks fellas.
hm, i think it would be more suited in the General forum. i think this part of the forum is for site-related suggestions and feedback.

but, i would like to know as well, since i'm in CA as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds Good! I posted one of these in the General so you might want to remove thatone also. Thanks again!

·
Registered
686 Posts
RAPTR said:
Is there anyway you guys could create and sticky for CARB approved products? I have a feeling that there are a lot of us that try to keep as street legal as possible but just don't know which product are CARB approved.

I don't know if this is where I shuld post this but I thought it would be a good suggestion. Thanks fellas.
As far as getting CARB approved labels, you would have to get them from the manufacturer of the part.

One thing to note for CARB approved products...for example, when a part is CARB approved for an STI 04-05, technically its not legal for 06 STI's even if the same part can be used for an 06. The state refs will nail you for the part if you have an 06. Generally, smog checkers and some cops would let you slide with with CARB labels without checking the year of the car. You can find CARB approvals (and the years the approvals apply to) using the following link.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apprecieate the feedback. No, I'm not looking for the label for one of my product but I'm asking to compile a list of CARB approved products. Thanks for that link but the only problem there is that the lists are so long and it would take forever to look for product that way. Good point on the year spec issue, I didn't know that. Thanks again Drag-on.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok,
I found that the SPT Inake and the Prodrive CAI are both CARB approved. What else out there is CARB approved fellas?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peleg,
Are you reposting? Check above buddy. That link is nice but you have to search through thousands of products to find your make and model. If we can just compile a list of known Subaru CARB approved products that would be awsome. I'm not going to waste my life going through that website's list, it's huge!

What are you doing Tonight Peleg? Sean and I are meeting up. Give me a call.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
RAPTR said:
Peleg,
Are you reposting? Check above buddy. That link is nice but you have to search through thousands of products to find your make and model. If we can just compile a list of known Subaru CARB approved products that would be awsome. I'm not going to waste my life going through that website's list, it's huge!

What are you doing Tonight Peleg? Sean and I are meeting up. Give me a call.
Sorry, too many drugs in my system......was in ER, my back is all jacked up, can't go anywhere....

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i always wondered, don't people make fake carb legal sticker?

can you just take off the carb legal sticker or copy from actual carb legal products? i really doubt cops can tell difference between one intake to another

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would probably get you out of getting into trouble. I do agree that cops probably don't check the approval number on the sticker.

Does anyone know of any CARB approved exhaust systems?

·
Registered
686 Posts
RAPTR said:
It would probably get you out of getting into trouble. I do agree that cops probably don't check the approval number on the sticker.

Does anyone know of any CARB approved exhaust systems?
Cat backs generally do not require CARB approval unless it modifies emissions equipment. In the case of the STI, all cat backs do not require CARB approval. However, not all cat back exhausts are street legal because some are louder than 95dB.

As for turbo back systems, there are none that are currently CARB approved.

·
Registered
686 Posts
JKonquer said:
i always wondered, don't people make fake carb legal sticker?

can you just take off the carb legal sticker or copy from actual carb legal products? i really doubt cops can tell difference between one intake to another
I was thinking the same thing. It is doable but you need to change the name of the manufacturer on the sticker to the manufacturer of your part. Cops will probably buy into it but state refs will catch it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cat backs generally do not require CARB approval unless it modifies emissions equipment. In the case of the STI, all cat backs do not require CARB approval. However, not all cat back exhausts are street legal because some are louder than 95dB.
Dra-on,
So what you are saying is that if you are with-in street legal decimal levels, it is legal in the state of CA? But what they can get you for is any kind of modifications to the cat's? So if I went with the Cobb DP it would be illegal becasue I removed one of the cats? Sorry if I sound newbish but I just want to clarify.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts