IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18 years old and I was driving and this 72 year old man merged into my car on the highway and scratched 4 panels and dented 3 panels. I have a 2016 STI with 2300 miles and he took all the fault. I have to file a claim with my insurance and I was wondering if anyone's been in an accident before and can give me advice. I get an diminished value check since technically my car has an accident right? And does anyone know where I should get repaired at since i'm on Long Island?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hope nobody was injured; sorry to hear about the damage to your car, that sucks. I believe New York is a "no fault" state, which means your insurance will pay for your repairs and his insurance will pay for his repairs. So you'll be out of pocket for whatever the deductible amount on your collision policy is. Your insurance company will pay the rest. Depending on who you're insured with, they may actually recommend or require the repairs be done at a repair shop on "their list of approved shops". If they leave it up to you, the internet is your friend - find a place that's been in business for a while and has good reviews. If you haven't already contacted your insurance company, do so ASAP so you can get the ball rolling on getting your new car back in a condition that makes you happy to drive it again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news...

Well that's good news I needed, apparently the other driver said someone cut him off so he swerve into me for some reason instead of hitting the brakes, his mirror dented me back door and his front bumper dented my passenger door and my rear bumper got bent in, and then the scratches go from the front door all the way to the rear bumper...shit fucking sucks, been working for this car since I was 13 and only have for 5 months before some guy hit me...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Diminished value is hard to get. Here's how it usually goes.

They fix your car, then get an appraisal. You submit the appraisal and request for diminished value. Say 5K, they offer you something stupid like $800 then you go back and forth till you reach a number, say 3,500.

Since the 2016 STI is so new it might be hard to find enough used cars to do comps and see what the market would be like on a used 2016 with around 2-3K miles for sale.

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diminished value is hard to get. Here's how it usually goes.

They fix your car, then get an appraisal. You submit the appraisal and request for diminished value. Say 5K, they offer you something stupid like $800 then you go back and forth till you reach a number, say 3,500.

Since the 2016 STI is so new it might be hard to find enough used cars to do comps and see what the market would be like on a used 2016 with around 2-3K miles for sale.

Good luck.

Ugh today's just a big headache for me. Thanks for the info though

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ugh today's just a big headache for me. Thanks for the info though
Hey you might get lucky and they just cut you a decent check without fighting. It happened to me once but it was someone's corporate vehicle that hit me and their corporate insurance just wanted to close out the case.

The other time I had bad luck and hate to fight tooth and nail with a major personal policy insurance company.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
get your own estimates as well as the insurance appraisal cost for the damage. In this case it sounds like it would be in your best interest to have the entire car repainted when the creases and dents are repaired. The insurance cost might only grant you a partial repaint of the car; I.E., the side that was hit only. A complete repaint of the entire car would be better for the long term residual value of the car because it would be as good or better than new, vs just a repaint of the side that was damaged. In that case you have half original and half repainted but the half repainted will still be the "damaged" side if that makes any sense, whereas if the whole car is done its a completely new paint job. Hope that makes sense. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would definitely invest in a dash cam, OP. No matter how goofy your friends think you are for having one..:rofl:

I work at a big autobody shop and see this type of accident often.

Hard to say without pictures but, judging by your post I'm guessing its both doors, bumper, and quarter panel.

They'll most likely they'll try to remove the dents from the doors, and try to polish out the scratches / paint transfer on the doors. The bumper will most likely be replaced with an OEM bumper, and painted. If the dents are on top of the body lines (creases in the door), it'll make the dent-removal job much harder, to where they'll probably try to fix the dents with bondo, or just replace the doorskin. If the scratches / paint transfer won't polish out, they'll have to repaint it. Depending on which color STI you have, the paint match will be slightly off.

In order to make the job a bit better looking, they'll probably blend your quarter panel and fender.

It's really not a big job, and you'll have your car back within 3 weeks most likely. Depending how busy the bodyshop you take it in is. (Its the beginning of the month, so bodyshops will be less busy)

Is your quarter panel and fender damaged at all? Have pics?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if anyone cares anymore but after a couple of months of fighting with the insurance they finally cracked and covered 100% of it. Total damages came out to around $3500, damage was done to both the doors, rear bumper, and a rear quarter panels. The painted all of those panels and got the dents out so they didn't have to use bondo for the dents. Finally picking up the car Tuesday after keeping it in the shop for 2 and a half weeks. I'll post pictures of what it looked like before the accident and after the repairs and the the it in the process of being repaired once I receive the car again.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Go through your insurance company and pay your deductible. You should get reimbursed. Don't talk to the other insurance company because they're just dying to find a reason to pin it on you and not pay.

Source: I got rear ended in January.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure if anyone cares anymore but after a couple of months of fighting with the insurance they finally cracked and covered 100% of it. Total damages came out to around $3500, damage was done to both the doors, rear bumper, and a rear quarter panels. The painted all of those panels and got the dents out so they didn't have to use bondo for the dents. Finally picking up the car Tuesday after keeping it in the shop for 2 and a half weeks. I'll post pictures of what it looked like before the accident and after the repairs and the the it in the process of being repaired once I receive the car again.
Glad to hear you'll have it back soon. Seems like almost anytime you have to get an insurance company to pay out on a claim they don't make it easy, which just makes a bad situation worse.

·
Registered
925 Posts
ALSO for future reference young one. Assume EVERYONE around you don't know you exist and they will pull out in front of you and merge into you. Assume EVERY driver is deaf, blind or dumb because 90% of drivers are, AT THE VERY LEAST, the last one.

Sources: I used to ride motorcycles and I live in New Jersey where everyone is an asshole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had an idiot t bone me (I was driving straight and he was making a right turn out of a parking lot). Hit so hard my 14 hatch sti actually leaned over onto the side opposite of the impact and grinded along a low median before righting itself up. I dont remember exactly but like over 12 grand in damages and repairs. The body shop did a great job aesthetically, but it never drove right (didn't track straight), and I went back and forth with them complaining over a span of a month. Finally got fed up, and took it to a subaru dealership, told them what happened. They deduced something was not properly bolted (steering or suspension related). Drove beautiful afterwards. I don't know how far along you are in repairs, but most body repair shops dont know crap about subarus, and awd systems. Have it checked it by your local dealership afterwards. Hopefully they'll do the repair under warranty cause your is still pretty new like mine was. Else, you bring that info back to the body shop and slap it in their face. Good luck man.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts