Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9/25 install date for the following:

APS equal length header and up-pipe
APS heat shield
Helix catted downpipe
HKS Carbon Ti catback
APS 65mm cold air intake
Protune

The car is a 2006 with 5,000 mile and I have no plans on upgrading the turbo. I just want to get what I can out of the stocker. As I am sitting here waiting for the 25th, it downed on me that I might as well add a meth injection kit while I am at it. Does that sound right? What kind of power will I pick up? Is there something else I should do instead? Thoughts?

P.S. I have a Snow kit on my supercharged Mustang.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
w/ a meth kit, it really all depends on how it's tuned. if you go w/an aggressive tune on meth, you'll get a whole bunch of tq and some more hps. however, if the pump fails you'll run extremely lean and you could blow your engine if you don't react quickly to the warnings. if you go w/ a more conservative tune, the meth kit will mainly act as a safety net against knock. you might also want to consider the aps turbo inlet tube, 1-step colder plugs, a larger fuel pump, a larger tmic or a small fmic (i.e. injen), and the 70mm aps cai. w/ this set-up, you will have pretty much maxed out the stock turbo. i'm not saying you have to get all of these, but it's just something to consider. good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I go for it, I would definitely want a more aggressive tune as oppossed to it just acting as a safety net. Don't they make fail safes for the kits? My Snow kit is a a year old, and I have a light that activates when it's on as well as a low fluid warning. But what I look at is my A/F guage. If the meth stops spraying my gauge would show it immediately.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
jason bouchard said:
talk to your tuner, my tuner doesnt like meth as it causes problems with the aluminium inthe heads ,pistons and block . . he said for longevity its just not a` good idea

first I've heard of that...in fact I believe its the opposite...as it allows for a cleaner burn of fuel. I haven't heard anyhting about it decreasing the life of the motor at all. Unless ofcourse there meth pump malfunctions and you run into a severe lean condition.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed the tuner and I am waiting for a response. I am not sure how it works on the STI, but I run wiper fluid in my Mustang's kit. The water evaporates with the heat (it's a fine mist anyway) and the meth ignites with the fuel. I am not sure where there would be anyting left to corode anything (if that makes sense :lol: )

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Boxer112 said:
I heard the same thing about methanol also. thats why i was going to consider alcohol/Water..

most people run a meth/water combo simply because when meth burns it's hardly visible, so the mix offers a bit more of a precaution...

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Talk to your tuner about the meth issue. IMO meth is just another thing to have to monitor. Regarding your mod setup, it looks impressive, but I suggest opting for the APS 70 MM CAI since you are being tuned.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
Talk to your tuner about the meth issue. IMO meth is just another thing to have to monitor. Regarding your mod setup, it looks impressive, but I suggest opting for the APS 70 MM CAI since you are being tuned.
A water / meth mix is great! I'm surprised Doug never talked you into meth. He's a methaholic...LOL! You never have to run race gas with meth injection on a stock setup. You'll be maxing out the stock turbo with meth, and in all actuallity you really don't even need an intake if you want to save some money. The stock intake box is good for up to 400WHP, but its always nice to hear the turbo spooling with an intake.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like I am going to do it. They claim an additional 20-25 whp and 30 wtq. The only drawback (if you can call it that) is that instead of having the work completed in one day, I would now have to leave the car overnight. :( I am waiting for a revised quote that includes the kit and the install, but barring an outrageous figure, I am going to do it. I want the most power I can get out of the stock turbo and this sounds like the way to go. I'd really like to see 320 - 330 whp and 360ish wtq with everything. I hope that is realistic.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I can honestly say I was staying far away from it. But after much talking with my tuner and lots of thinking, it is actually a much safer tune in the end. The chance of detonation almost goes away, temps are much lower, Whp gains can be huge. The new systems have nice safety features that protect the motor in a failure situation. I think it is well worth and an I will be going that path this fall. Going to use a combination of the aqua mist system with the cool mist guage...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder what system XXTuning is going to quote me.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
there are a few out there... SMC, aquamist, coolmist... I am waiting a bit because the auqamist comes from the UK and the darned exchange rate is so bad that the price has doubled in the last year. One of the shop's cars have it installed and it is a very nice system! Think about getting the JDM intercooler tank for the trunk of the car to use as the holding tank...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright - just got off the phone with the shop. I am going to go with the Snow kit. The also make a product called SafeInjection http://www.snowperformance.net/proddetail.asp?prod=SI-10 that sounds like a pretty good fail safe. I drop my car off on the 23rd and get it back the evening of the 25th. I. cant. wait.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
twiSTies said:
Awesome, while you're at it you should have the APS turbo inlet installed too.
What gains does that give me and how much is it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
twiSTies said:
I believe nhluhr gained 15whp up top with one and had quicker spool. It cost $275, and if a shop is doing the install, go for it. This way youll have zero restriction to the turbo.
I am already spending $4500, so why not. I am sure they stock them. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
BicketyBam said:
I am already spending $4500, so why not. I am sure they stock them. Thanks!

No problem, although if we're going for the absolute most out of the stock turbo, I'd consider these additional small mods.

swap the 65mm cai for the 70mm cai
get one range colder plugs
get a gm boost control solenoid

you may also put on a stiffer wastegate spring like wolfplayer.

then throw meth on top of all this. i'd LOVE to see the results!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.