IW STi Forum banner

Car dying upon idle mystery

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  JDMSTi7 
#1 ·
Issue: Upon coming to a stop in neutral or once the car has already come to a complete stop the motor will die out. However, the issue is that it is so random and sporadic I am never able to recreate the situation. Sometimes the dying out will happen every stop, sometimes once or twice, sometimes it will never die out? Idle sometimes fluctuates and sometimes stays right below 1k.
I will list my modifications below.
Situation been ongoing since April 2013 with no resolution yet.

Modifications: (all modifications have little over 4k miles purchased brand new)
P&L shortblock
Blouch 18g Turbo
Invidia N1 street turbo back
P&L motorsports up pipe
Perrin turbo inlet
Cobb short ram intake
Walbro fuel pump
Mishimoto oil catch can
Mishimoto aluminum radiator
Stock injectors and top mount (both have 64kmiles on them)

Car was tuned at 16psi in April Open source I do Not have an acessport.

Does anyone have any idea what to check or what to do?

Can the fuel injectors or rail be causing this problem?
Thank you in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 18g as well, and I had this issue awhile back when I had injector problems. So it might be a fueling problem not but necessarily injectors. I got new injectors and plugs with a new tune and the problem went away.

Also come to think of it, it might not be a fueling issue but rather a vaccuum leak as well.

#6 ·
I have a 18g as well, and I had this issue awhile back when I had injector problems. So it might be a fueling problem not but necessarily injectors. I got new injectors and plugs with a new tune and the problem went away.

Also come to think of it, it might not be a fueling issue but rather a vaccuum leak as well.
What injectors do you have now? still side feeds or did you covert to top feed? And I checked for leaks as did a shop and no vaccuum leaks anywhere I am assuming it has to be fuel related.

#7 ·
I had a used set of PE 850 side feed injectors and I bought a brand new set of the same setup. My impressions were that it was the tune because the one injector was sticky so that injector got a little more fuel then the others, that combined with a leaky bpv I felt caused the issue.

With me in the car it was once in a while. But with gf in the car it did it at every stop but that day was every hot outside. I think it may have been the added load on the car.

#16 ·
its not that frequent its only happened twice. but its strange the car just shuts off, mainly when approaching a turn popping it into neutral and into a lower gear dose it for me. that transition the car just dies. another one was when coming up to a toll agian neutral into a lower gear the car just shut off again. the car is at normal afr readings, and appears to have no boost / vacuum leaks too.

its on a built short block with an fp green, and it has 850 deatschwerk injectors, and a walbro fp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.