IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information on WRX/WRX STI, I.E. awards...

Hey everyone, I'm very curious about something...I ordered my STI without car audio..now, my car is coming in this week, and I need to get some type of audio. Everyone is telling me to go ALPINE ALPINE ALPINE, but I'm planning on getting a sony head unit with Alpine or Sony speakers. First off, I have no idea what size speakers I need for the front and rear, and I really need some help with this. Also, I need information on a subwoofer...please, please help me out with this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so 6.5 is a good size? But when I look online for speakers..bestbuy.com for instance, I see sizes 6" and 6"x9" ...How do I know what to get. The site says 6" fits a subaru imprezza 2004, but does the STI fall into that category? Do I need size 6" all around the car? Front Back...etc...About the subwoofer and head unit...still, I need some help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you read the above thread? It tells you exactly what sizes to use back and front and some of the brands that will fit. I'm not trying to be difficult, but the answers to your questions are all in that thread. Yes, the STi is a 2004 Impreza. Actually, the doors are all the same as a 2002 or 2003 Impreza as well. 6"x9" is a different speaker size from 6.5" and will not fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry if I seem like a complete idiot...I should get 6.5", or 6". Also.. Is Sony a good brand for speakers and head units?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think you will be able to find a 6" round speaker. 6.5" is an industry standard. I try to stay away from Sony for audio. That's just an opinion and a preference, though. It seems like a lot of people are using the Sony stuff nowadays.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the Sti come with two open spots for the tweeters or are people just cutting holes for those or something? Because I have seen that some people are getting component, but others are getting coaxial. I just dont want to leave 2 open holes up. Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Got Mine - My 4Cyl Compact Family Sedan - Blue/Gold

Go with Alpine, a much better deck and you will be quite satisfied with one. Alpine speakers aren't bad either, so you might as well keep it all Alpine. For a sub, i'd go with JL Audio.

00'GT-S,
The tweeters are mounted on the door panel with the use of a metal bracket. They are in the same factory location as the regular WRX, no need for cutting. The door panel has a ventilated grill specifically for the tweeters, so its going to be there regardless the type of speaker you go with. You won't be able to see a tweeter if its mounted or not. For the best sound possible, i'd go with a separate component set.

For a visual representation, check my pics out here...
http://users.stargate.net/~clentz/STi_Stereo/

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me about the crossover that I saw on another thread for the speakers. What is it for and are they neccessary to have music play from your speakers? One more thing do you have to have one for each speaker? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Lower frequencies are handled by subwoofer, higher by speakers..
U dont wanna strain speakers by letting them process lower frequencies - it takes up valuable AMPS and strains the speakers.. The subs where specifically designed to handle lower frequencies and in higher end systems are handled by their own dedicated amps..
80 hz is the norm I think...
Crossover is the spot where u say: above that frequency go to speakers, below - go to subwoofer...

·
Registered
983 Posts
STI floor mat

I had a flashback that Rob (cloneGTS) once said the alpine hu looked and felt cheap. I once disagreed but now I do. the more I look at it the more I think it's ugly. the only hu that comes close to alpine's quality (not the look) is kenwood. I think I'm getting a kenwood excelon instead.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a Kenwood Excellon 869 and love it. Satellite radio is great ! I used Helix speakers,amp, and a 10" Crossfire sub in the trunk. Work well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
snead_c said:
I have a Kenwood Excellon 869 and love it. Satellite radio is great ! I used Helix speakers,amp, and a 10" Crossfire sub in the trunk. Work well.
yea, this is what I've been thinking about to get recently. did u mount it at the upper or lower din? does it already come with satellite radio?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's in the upper slot...just barely leaves room for the flimsy cup holder to operate...radio comes ready for Sirius...you still have to purchase a receiver (mine was available as a freeeby with subscription...may still be avail...) antennas run approx. $50 to $75...very well worth the investment to get a good selection of music all the time and if you're into M3 the radio plays those discs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Autodimming mirror and hard bass hits

I have panasonic hu, mb quartz speakers and 2 alpine 12" type s subs... Everything was professionally installed and i have had no problems with it. Not to mention that it sounds damn good too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts