IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Well they obviously failed...
I believe its actually faster than the GTR. Beat it around the ring. I would still choose the GTR though for upgradability, exclusivity and value retention. Sick of how many Camaros and Corvettes I see on the road. They are everywhere and if you buy one it depreciates by 50%'in a couple of years. I respect the performance but if I won a free corvette or Z28, I would sell it immediately and get a used 911 turbo or GTR, maybe even an M4.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I believe its actually faster than the GTR. Beat it around the ring. I would still choose the GTR though for upgradability, exclusivity and value retention. Sick of how many Camaros and Corvettes I see on the road. They are everywhere and if you buy one it depreciates by 50%'in a couple of years. I respect the performance but if I won a free corvette or Z28, I would sell it immediately and get a used 911 turbo or GTR, maybe even an M4.
Keep in mind though the Z/28 was using a set of R-Comp tires when it pulled that time.

Swap a set of nice tires on the GT-R and it will probably give the GT-R the upper-hand.

Still no doubt, the Z/28 is badass.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
LOL, the only Z28's that you can call POS's were probably the tamed down mid 70's to mid 80's versions.

In the late 80's they started to show hints of getting back to their late 1960's performance heritage when they brought out the Tune Port Injected 350 C.I Iroc Z28 and ignited another mustang vs camaro performance war. Those cars could handle very well and were fast compared to everything else at the time. The 90's LS1 and LS2 Camaro SS's and Z28's were even faster and handled even better.

This new retro generation brought the Camaro back in 2009/2010 and again was reflective of the heritage this car has had since 1966 with that body style. Performance compared to the STI for example from these new Gen Camaro's fell short, ,but this was a platform that was essentially still in development to become something much more capable when they put it in production. The STI went into production in 2004 will all guns blazing which is why it performed so well against other import and domestic performance cars for those first 6 years and it could even compete on several levels with the higher up performance cars from these other brands for that time period.

The cars available NOW though are so much faster and better built than what was out there during the first 6 years of the U.S STI, that these new cars make the STI look like a simple toy by comparison. Z28's, 1LE Camaro's, 426 horsepower base Camaro's, 440 horsepower Mustang GT's, 650 Horsepower Mustang GT500's 392 Hemi Challengers, and 713+ horsepower Hellcats!!!! Corvettes that could run rings around an STI...and even V6 twin Turbo 450+ horsepower Cadillacs and not to mention 650 horse CTS V's can accelerate as fast or faster than the STI and hang or out handle them in corners.

The level has been raised significantly among cars that can be classified as premium high performance domestics, whereas from 2004-2010 the STI was in the same category as cars classified as such. Not anymore, and probably not again. It's very likely we'll see 800 horsepower production Camaro's Corvettes, Mustangs, and Dodge challengers and baracuda's rolling the streets in the next few years. Will the STI ever represent itself as the giant killer it was from 2004-2010 with cars like that being the "GIANTS"??? Stock for stock there is no comparison. It will contiune to be a very fun fast tight handleing allwheel drive megabargain though that will hand lots of cars in its price range their ass, which at the end of the day is exaclty what it has always done.

One thing to note that these newer mega performance domestic muscle cars have also become much more expensive than the STI such that, the minimal gap in price that they had from 2004-2010 has expanded A LOT! So really only a base mustang GT or V8 Camaro are comparable from that perspective. All the higher Level domestics are a good 15 to as much as 30,000+ more dollars to buy than an STI. So the STI is STILL one of the best bang for the buck machines today! And then you start to look at how easy they are to mod and how much their performance increases with relatively inexpensive mods and they are STILL competetive to higher priced cars when modded but you probably wont be spending much less to get them to that level than it would be to just get one of the other cars.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
^^^^All that said; the STI smoked the $50,000 lexus IS350S, by over 3 seconds, which has 306 horsepower and allwheel drive and more tech. It shows how an STI at $15,000 less is a far FAR better balanced and aggressive sports car. Not sure why a Ford Fiesta was even tested so is it any surprise an STI and a WRX clobbered it? Ford Focus ST I can understand since as a bargain it is a bang for the buck type car, but still no match for an STI. The Golf GTI also gets smoked by the STI, and so does the sistership WRX by over 2 seconds.

As far as the repave and widening, who knows if it had any effect on the E.T's. The changes were probably safety related and to make room for passing.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
The M4 was 10 seconds behind the Z28 in this test. That's a ridiculous gap in E.T. the Z28 makes the M4 look like a slug in this test. The Z28 won't depreciate like a base model Camaro...Z28's are coveted cars among muscle car collectors making this one an instant collectible. Anyway any Camaro that can EQUAL a Ferrari F12 around a 4+ Mile long autocross track isnt going to depreciate..it will go up in value.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The M4 was 10 seconds behind the Z28 in this test. That's a ridiculous gap in E.T. the Z28 makes the M4 look like a slug in this test. The Z28 won't depreciate like a base model Camaro...Z28's are coveted cars among muscle car collectors making this one an instant collectible. Anyway any Camaro that can EQUAL a Ferrari F12 around a 4+ Mile long autocross track isnt going to depreciate..it will go up in value.
Haha you make me laugh.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
interesting tidbit: the Stingray blew its engine during its hot laps. Looks like GM is blaming "contaminated oil".

According to this link, article written May 2014: Mobil 1 Continues to be the Corvette Assembly Plant’s Oil of Choice for the Z06 and Stingray

"Chevrolet has named Mobil 1 5W-30 as the recommended oil for all Corvette models. For those owners taking their Corvettes to the track or other high-performance application, the use of Mobil 1 15W-50 is encouraged to ensure full engine protection and optimal engine efficiency."

Car and Driver claims to have tested all of the vehicles completely stock..

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
interesting tidbit: the Stingray blew its engine during its hot laps. Looks like GM is blaming "contaminated oil".

According to this link, article written May 2014: Mobil 1 Continues to be the Corvette Assembly Plant’s Oil of Choice for the Z06 and Stingray

"Chevrolet has named Mobil 1 5W-30 as the recommended oil for all Corvette models. For those owners taking their Corvettes to the track or other high-performance application, the use of Mobil 1 15W-50 is encouraged to ensure full engine protection and optimal engine efficiency."

Car and Driver claims to have tested all of the vehicles completely stock..
There have been several new vettes with blown engines. From what I have researched GM is blaiming oil filter media that came loose in these cases and got into crank bearings which then self destructed.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Keep in mind though the Z/28 was using a set of R-Comp tires when it pulled that time.

Swap a set of nice tires on the GT-R and it will probably give the GT-R the upper-hand.

Still no doubt, the Z/28 is badass.
Yes, but the Z-28's motor is tuned relatively mild. Take the $25K pad you get at stock cost and plug that into the Z budget and see where you land.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Yes, but the Z-28's motor is tuned relatively mild. Take the $25K pad you get at stock cost and plug that into the Z budget and see where you land.
Price is irrelevant. That isn't an argument in my opinion. If you can't afford the more expensive car that's your own fault.

I could build an LSX miata that would destroy both of these cars for a fraction of the price. It's just an invalid point.

Camaro is a badass track car, but I'll take a GTR any day of the week. It is so much more usable and is a much more well-rounded car.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Price is irrelevant. That isn't an argument in my opinion. If you can't afford the more expensive car that's your own fault.
bizarre response...

You were talking about swapping tires in hopes that the GT-R could then compete with the lowly Z. I'm saying, then, OK, add some mods to the Camaro. It's not about affording expensive cars but trying to make the comparison apples to apples.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
bizarre response...

You were talking about swapping tires in hopes that the GT-R could then compete with the lowly Z. I'm saying, then, OK, add some mods to the Camaro. It's not about affording expensive cars but trying to make the comparison apples to apples.
The comparison is not apples to apples though. It would be had both vehicles been using comparable tires, wouldn't you agree? That doesn't make any sense to mod the Camaro up $25,000 to make it apples to apples.

If you put regular street car tires on the Z/28 it's lap times would significantly decrease. Equal tires would be comparing apples to apples.

Not saying the camaro is a bad car, I just think to say it's faster than the GTR is not 100% accurate.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The suspension of the Z was designed specifically to run the Pirelli Trofeo R's, so it's an unreasonable handicap to take them away just to give advantage to the GT-R.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
The difference in performance between the nismo GTR and the Z28 and the F12 can't be explained by simply the tires LOL. The Nismo has 95 more horsepower than the Z28, and the Ferrari has over 200 more horsepower than the Z28 LOL...all three cars are roughly within 20 lbs of each other in curb weight give or take a few lbs...they are all quite portly actually for what they are. Also the F12 and the Nismo had noteably higher straightaway top speeds than the Z28. Sorry but the Z28 didnt post a virtually equal E.T to the $300,000 700+ horsepower essentially same curb weight because of fat tires LOL. The Z28 has superior brakes and superior suspension to make those tires work. It's simply the bargain of the century for the price. 30,000 less than the nismo. I suspect when they tune the Z28 for more horsepower and lighten up even more it will destroy both those cars quite easily on any track. It's simply an AMAZING car....I would take IT over any overteched import that costs 10's of thousands more any day. Tires? :rofl:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The difference in performance between the nismo GTR and the Z28 and the F12 can't be explained by simply the tires LOL. The Nismo has 95 more horsepower than the Z28, and the Ferrari has over 200 more horsepower than the Z28 LOL...all three cars are roughly within 20 lbs of each other in curb weight give or take a few lbs...they are all quite portly actually for what they are. Also the F12 and the Nismo had noteably higher straightaway top speeds than the Z28. Sorry but the Z28 didnt post a virtually equal E.T to the $300,000 700+ horsepower essentially same curb weight because of fat tires LOL. The Z28 has superior brakes and superior suspension to make those tires work. It's simply the bargain of the century for the price. 30,000 less than the nismo. I suspect when they tune the Z28 for more horsepower and lighten up even more it will destroy both those cars quite easily on any track. It's simply an AMAZING car....I would take IT over any overteched import that costs 10's of thousands more any day. Tires? :rofl:
F12 is hardly a track car IMO. That is a grand touring car, a street car that is brutally fast, that can be driven cross country with ease.

Z/28 was designed for one thing and that was to be fast around a track, it's a track car. You think they are just fat tires? Lmao they're racing compound tires, that alone is worth a ton of time on the track, just ask anyone who actually races their car.

Which car are you gonna take? An F12 or z/28? I think that goes without saying. Lol

21 - 40 of 62 Posts