Discuss :D

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Top speeds achieved:
STI 126.9 mph
WRX 124.1 mph

other tidbits: VIR was repaved over the winter, and widened in some areas. Some will rightfully argue that the new times above cannot be compared to the old times.

As for me, I take delivery of a 2015 STI any day now. I cannot wait to return to my home track (Road America) to see what lap time I can pull. My 2013 STI did a best of 2:44.25.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2013 STI was on the stock tune and had BFG Rivals on 17" Kosei wheels, Cobb front/rear sway bars, Com C Top hats, lower H brace, and -2.0 camber up front. With the 2015 STI I have a 22 mm rear sway bar ready to be installed and similar camber up front. With any luck I'll dip into a 2:39.xx. I'm very interested to see if my telemetry will show higher top speeds on the straights to validate the extra unofficial hp the 2015's have. My 2013 was a dog on the straights :lol:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Car and Driver's Lightning Lap 2014! 2015 WRX And STI Results!

I can't believe a POS chevy is faster than our cars -=/
What cave have you been hiding under? :confused: Neither Chevy's listed are pos's. For me personally the Stingray is a world beater for the price. I intend to own one in about three years when they've taken the depreciation hit.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
What cave have you been hiding under? :confused: Neither Chevy's listed are pos's. For me personally the Stingray is a world beater for the price. I intend to own one in about three years when they've taken the depreciation hit.
Fly'nbryan gonna fly'n bryan...don't ever take anything he says seriously.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Top speeds achieved:
STI 126.9 mph
WRX 124.1 mph

other tidbits: VIR was repaved over the winter, and widened in some areas. Some will rightfully argue that the new times above cannot be compared to the old times.

As for me, I take delivery of a 2015 STI any day now. I cannot wait to return to my home track (Road America) to see what lap time I can pull. My 2013 STI did a best of 2:44.25.
Interesting that the GTI got the exact same time as it did in 2010...

Although the Cayman S (which I believe has been unchanged since the last time they tested it) did it 3.6s faster than before, so I guess the new track is somewhere around 3-4s faster than the old one?

Except the new WRX is only 1 second faster than the old one on the same track?

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Camaro z28 for 75k really is a absolute bargain for what you get. You buy the car off the bat for performance, and for that much your taking on cars costing nearly 2 times as much and beating them. If you consider the fact it basically tied with a 400k Ferrari f12 I don't see any better deals out there. Hand chevy its due respect, the z28 Is one of the best track cars money can buy, as well as the stingray.
Also, no ALFA 4C?????? what a disappointment.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah, the Z28 is a beast to be sure, but, but, but... It looks like a Camaro!
I feel bad for all the dudes who bought the old Z28 thinking it was going to become a collectors car since, Chevy was saying then that it would be the last Camaro.

But on a side note Subaru needs to give us a faster car. 305hp is no longer cutting the mustard. Maybe a Turbo H-6 putting out 400ish hp at the crank?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I can't believe a POS chevy is faster than our cars -=/
Umm you need to research your automotive history a bit. GM was making Camaros that were faster than modern STI's in 1969...with technology that looks primitive by comparison. ZL1 427 Camaro's put out over 550 horsepower and could run low 12 second 1/4 mile E.T's Camaros also ran SCCA races in the 60's and were beasts...they can handle with suspension upgrades that were available back then that got them close to 1G on the skid pad. Brakes and tire technology were nowhere near what they are these days...but they could be bought with a SH#T Load of horsepower, and then be modded to handle very well.

I'd be shocked that after 40 years of producing camaros that they "COULDNT" spank an STI all over the place in 2014 and 2015. The New Z28's would destroy an STI in every category except ralley racing and winter driving. They are the culmination of 40 years of high performance development. It would take at least a 375-400+ horsepower EJ and some noticeable suspension mods for an STI to come close to the performance of a stock 2014 Z28. A stock STI is just a toy compared to a Z28.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Umm you need to research your automotive history a bit. GM was making Camaros that were faster than modern STI's in 1969...with technology that looks primitive by comparison. ZL1 427 Camaro's put out over 550 horsepower and could run low 12 second 1/4 mile E.T's Camaros also ran SCCA races in the 60's and were beasts...they can handle with suspension upgrades that were available back then that got them close to 1G on the skid pad. Brakes and tire technology were nowhere near what they are these days...but they could be bought with a SH#T Load of horsepower, and then be modded to handle very well.

I'd be shocked that after 40 years of producing camaros that they "COULDNT" spank an STI all over the place in 2014 and 2015. The New Z28's would destroy an STI in every category except ralley racing and winter driving. They are the culmination of 40 years of high performance development. It would take at least a 375-400+ horsepower EJ and some noticeable suspension mods for an STI to come close to the performance of a stock 2014 Z28. A stock STI is just a toy compared to a Z28.
It's not very hard to make big power when you have a large displacement v8.

I want to see an STI available in the states that is faster the domestic muscle cars.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
It's not very hard to make big power when you have a large displacement v8.

I want to see an STI available in the states that is faster the domestic muscle cars.
exactly and that has been working for over 40 years now with the Camaro. But technology has improved every other aspect of the Z28 to the point where it is practically in super car territory now. We already saw STI's in the states that were faster than domestic muscle cars from 2004-2010. From 2011 on though the Mustang coyote could out accelerate the STI's and equal or exceed the handleing around a track. Now there are 713+ horsepower Dodge challengers and soon to be chargers and cuda's available...500+ horsepower Camaro's and of course the even more powerful ZL1's and GT500's. These cars still have the same bodies that everyone was saying were overweight slugs in 2010 and now they would crush an STI in their top optioned forms...even with the extra weight.

The STI is an awesome performance car for the money and can be made really amazing with mods...but the higher level performance cars in the Dodge GM and Ford lineups now and what are comming are simply far far beyond what an STI ihas had to contend with from 2004-2010.

The STI is still a lot faster than other domestic performance cars that don't have the same heritage as mighty Z28's and stingray corvettes. Just look at that 7 second whooping it gave the ford Focus ST. ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts