IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sti owners in Calgary

I have had my Sti less than 24 hours and have already been pulled over by the cops. Luckily I was obeying the traffic laws. Tough to do in an Sti. I was afraid this might happen. I feel as if I'm 18 all over again. I hope this is not going to be a regular occurence.

Anyone experiencing this?

:wink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
For so reason the cops see the huge spoiler and think punk kid... and pull ya over... It's important that we prove them wrong... It happens enough they might leave us alone

T

·
0 Posts
It hasn't happened to me YET, but suspect it will eventually. The car attracts attention and cops have given me stares on occasion but have yet to pull me over. But if you live in a larger city you will be a target for sure. You'll probably be branded a street racer from the get go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had the same worries, this car is just a little conspicuous! If a group of us are speeding on the highway chances are I'm the one they'll pull over. Hasn't happened to me yet and I'm hoping that the odds are a little lower for me being in Silver, compared to the beautiful "look at me" blue. :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've had the sti for a couple of weeks now and haven't been hassled by the local authorities since.

I was heading north on hwy 2 out of Calgary. In my Sti following a Volvo and a G35 coupe. I was thinking the same thing, if the police were to clock us on radar I wonder who would get the ticket?

I still keep toying with the idea of buying another wingless trunklid and maybe just using the big wing occasionally.

One thing I don't like about the wing is it is right at eye level and creates a flashing effect from other cars headlights in the rear view mirror just like police lights. :-?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Motorhead said:
One thing I don't like about the wing is it is right at eye level and creates a flashing effect from other cars headlights in the rear view mirror just like police lights. :-?
I was telling my husband about this thread and said that I was a little confused about this comment because the police lights on top of the car are red/blue. He laughed and said "You've obviously never been pulled over" and explained that the cop car headlights flash as well. He's an experienced speeding ticket receiver, I've never had a one and hope to keep it that way but it won't be easy in this car!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Until I got the Sti it has been awhile since I have been pulled over.

Of course when I look in the mirror I know it isn't cop lights flashing.

It's just that split second when you know you are over the speed limit and hit a washboard surface that creates the flashing effect.

I briefly get that sinking feeling when you think you been busted. I must get a radar detector and maybe I would be a little more confident that I haven't been caught on radar.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A radar detector isn't an assurance that you won't get pulled over. A couple weeks ago, I got pulled over by one of the dumbest officers I have ever had the opportunity to encounter. I was in my Yukon, not the STi. He was in one lane, and I was in the other of a dual left turn onto an entrance ramp. His police-spec Intreped had the acceleration of a Geo with two bad cylinders, and I got up to highway speed within a couple of seconds (so that I could merge in between to semi's). About a 1/2 mile past the end of the ramp, I see the lights flashing, and I start to get out of the way. Of course, he gets in right behind me and I pull safely onto the shoulder. My V1 never even flinched, which stands to reason, as his car had no radar or lazer equipment. He goes through the routine of asking me "if I was in a hurry," to which I made some subtle smart-ass reply. Then he goes on to tell me that I "must have been really hauling ass" because he "had to drive over 85 to catch up" with me. Wha??? He HAD to drive 85 to catch up with me? I told him that he DID catch up to me going 85, but that he could have caught up with me if he were driving 66 (the speed limit was 65), it just would have taken a bit longer. He got this really confused look on his face, and went back to his car for a few minutes. He came back and told me to slow down, but that he was letting me off with a warning. What was he warning me from? I took it as "Warning: stay away from moron cops!"

By the way, most of the cop cars around here flash the headlights when the take-downs are on. Many "unmarked" cars only have small red and blue lights mouted on the dash, and are hard to see when the brights are flashing. I have had the momentary freak-out when the STi wing bounces in front of a following car's headlights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i live in vancouver. and going to richmond (which is just across the bridge) is soo hurting cuz of the past yr with all the street racing and an rcmp officer getting killed by one of those races. they pull you over for anything!!! ive been pulled over because my exhuast didnt look stock. which my car is. argh. still.. good car to launch off the line..quicker than my friends m3 off the line.. but kills me in the long run haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts