IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sti is my daily driver and I am going to watkins glen to road race in a week and I really dont want to install the sparco bar since the sti is my daily driver. How can I run harnesses without the sparco bar?

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
^ hes right takatas let you strap into the rear seats. I have em but igot a harness bar anyway b/c the harnesses are in there at all times so i would like my rear seat passengers to be comfortable as well

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Normally this would be the time when I would say you shouldn't run harnesses without a roll bar, but lately I have seen some horrific accident photos of Subarus in which the B-pillars remain entirely intact. This leads me to believe that maybe it is safe to run harnesses without a bar/cage. Anyone else have some input? And if you decide to do so, Schroth has a series of harnesses that can be bolted directly to the rear seats.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have the Schroth quick fit. Put in and take out in 5 minutes if you take a break halfway through. They are DOT approved, clip into locations engineered by Subaru for seat belt mounting, have the "ASM" technology, and maintain airbag function. I think they are actually the safest alternative to a full cage and harnesses and ideal for lapping days, HPDE, autocross, and similar events where multicar wrecks are not likely. A cage is a poor idea for a daily driver unless you and all of your passengers plan to wear a helmet and harnesses to go to the movies.

I bought mine from these guys and the pictures you see are actually my car:

http://soloracer.com/wrxstirallye4.html

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
These look like a great alternative!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
LeiboWRX said:
I have the Schroth quick fit. Put in and take out in 5 minutes if you take a break halfway through. They are DOT approved, clip into locations engineered by Subaru for seat belt mounting, have the "ASM" technology, and maintain airbag function. I think they are actually the safest alternative to a full cage and harnesses and ideal for lapping days, HPDE, autocross, and similar events where multicar wrecks are not likely. A cage is a poor idea for a daily driver unless you and all of your passengers plan to wear a helmet and harnesses to go to the movies.

FTW :tup:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not a fan of the ones that clip into the stock rear seatbelts but it is very easy to run harnesses safely in the STi without a harness bar.

Not sure if all belts come with the needed hardware, I know my Deist belts did. If your belts didn't come with the hardware you can get it at any local store that sells track gear/safety gear.

I replaced the 4 bolts that hold in the stock rear seatbelts with heavy duty steel bolts with an O ring on top and a tension washer. When the rear seat bottom is in place these are invisible and you can just clip your shoulder belts into them as needed for your event and remove them for daily driving. The belts will be at a 45* angle or higher so no worries about spinal compression.

The lap belts attach via a bracket with a hole in one end that is a triangle and a square that the belt is folded in half and passed thru. I call this bracket a house bracket because it kinda looks like one. Put one of these on each lap belt and remove the rear front seat bolts that hold each seat to the floor.

I do not suggest using a 5 or 6 point system without a roll bar or roll cage. If the roof collapses you have no place to go so instead of sliding under the belts your head gets crushed.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
PHiL2 said:
The sti is my daily driver and I am going to watkins glen to road race in a week and I really dont want to install the sparco bar since the sti is my daily driver. How can I run harnesses without the sparco bar?
Why would you be worried about a bar in a daily driver? Unless you are hauling the wife, kids, dogs around with you? The bar is very unobtrusive and I can still put people in the rear seat just fine, eventhough I don't....:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harness bar is a nono with rear facing car seat..

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
2fas4u said:
Why would you be worried about a bar in a daily driver? Unless you are hauling the wife, kids, dogs around with you? The bar is very unobtrusive and I can still put people in the rear seat just fine, eventhough I don't....:)
Do you know what it feels like to smash your arm or face against metal at 30mph? Nevermind faster.

I assume your rear seat passengers don't wear helmets and that your bar is unpadded. That can turn a small accident into serious broken body parts for anyone in the rear even with a seat belt on you can't control your arms in a crash.

:tdown:

·
Registered
41 Posts
With esperiance of having an STI flipping multipal times I'd say you def don't want a harness bar.Look at my pics of the 05 in members journal I didn't even have my seat belt on at the time of this accident and I was running between 50 to 65 when it happened. That would not have been good with a harness bar.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I run Schroth 4-Point harnesses with out a bar. They are certified street legal "meets the applicable provisions of FMVSS 209 (US street legal)" and have Schroth ASM (anti-submarining) technology to prevent you from going under the waist straps in the event of a frontal impact. Check out www.schroth.com for more info. I even think they have a video showing how the ASM works.
I have some pics of them installed on post #11 of my members journal.

Ikon said:
id get a bar off ebay 120 bucks shipped.
That's not a good idea AT ALL! :tdown:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
LeiboWRX said:

That's nice. I was going to get a Rallye 3, but I may have to get that instead.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I use a harness bar and 5pt gforce harnesses... however, I only use it for autox, for trackdays I just use the 3pt belts, I just think its safer - and besides I dont have a huge problem with using it on a road course, as its a bit easier to hold yourself stable. Whereas autox there are so many immediate lateral changes that its a lot better to use a harness.

I dont put people in the rear seats with the bar in now, if my lazy butt would just un-bolt it when I need it wouldnt be a big deal, but oh well I dont take many people around in the car - besides its a good excuse to have someone else drive everyone, lol :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Subaru QuickFit harness in my car. The ease of initial install was easy and then the install/removal of the harness is WAY easy, no problems. Snap it in the stock locations and you are all set. :tup: :tup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts