IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the eclipse 8053 with balanced line adaptor and was wondering if any of you are currently using this deck. Also, for the rest of you, what are some other decks that you consider the best in the industry? I want to put a top notch system in, and would love any advice that you all may have. Right now I am thinking about the 8053, diamond audio hex series up front (should I get silk or aluminum tweeters?), running out of a Mcintosh MC420M amp in two channel mode. Are these the best speakers that can fit without custom door panels? I'd love to get focal utopias, Dynaudio, or CDT Eurosports in there, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this successfully yet. Please help :roll: I'd love to hear any and all of your comments/recomendations.

TL

·
Registered
949 Posts
i have the eclipse 8443. similair w/o balanced line outputs.
i love it, you should be able to get a good deal on last year's eclipse stuff as their new stuff is hitting very soon.
sil vs aluminum tweeters: depends how u like your highs?
bright & lively go alum.
soft, smooth, yet accurate go silk
mcintosh amps!?!? wow big bux, nice stuff.

all in all i think the sounds of a rally car will have some effect on a high end audio system. in that i mean it may require some serious sound deadening to truly appreciate what your system is capable of

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
How many here have crooked 'STi' badges on the trunk?

chrisfx811 said:
all in all i think the sounds of a rally car will have some effect on a high end audio system. in that i mean it may require some serious sound deadening to truly appreciate what your system is capable of
agreed! even with a relatively modest system you end up competing with the noises.

if you're going to put a high end system in and expect good quality you're going to have to do some serious "dynomatting".

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya, but why in a STi? I have a layer of dynamatt extreme on all 4 doors and it didnt seem to do anything.... Although I could care less (I got it with my order) and I just bought some nice CDT CL61 components and CDT CL5X coaxials... they sound great and never distort and are amazing. Why not just get something like that rather then trying to turn your rally car into a luxury vehicle? Theres no space in the doors for major SQ speakers.

Robert~

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert - the reason I'm putting a nice system in is because good music and nice systems are two of my passions. I understand that the road noise is less than ideal, but a great system will still sound better than a mediocre one. Plus, there are some pretty good deals to be had on ebay, so why not? So you really couldn't tell ANY difference with the dynamat? Does anyone else have any experience with the effects of dynamat in their STi?

·
Registered
575 Posts
my Dynamat install definetely made a difference. There still loads of tire and road noise coming thru :) but the doors sound better when shuting them, they give me that benz feel. Acoustically it sounds lots better, speakers perform better.

I have Hex with silk tweeter, and MB quarts for rear fill. Using PPI amps.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
With the speakers ON it seems to block out road noise a little better, but... *shrug* i was expecting a little more I guess (that and I took many battle wounds from that dang razor sharp stuff). I understand your need for a high end system, but the CL61 components arent mediocre or junk. That and they are $150 off at thezeb.com (originally $3XX). IA's fitment kits fit perfectly too. So I guess unless you really want to start cutting or fabbing you will probably need to stay a little smaller in speaker size. (Also I wasnt criticizing you for wanting a nice system in the STi, its just going to be VERY VERY difficult to put big speakers in without some kind of modifying). One thing you will definitely want to do... there is a bolt in the window with a plastic tab over it... get rid of this and you will gain another .5"-.75" in depth... which is huge. I went from using 10 washers on one speaker to using 0. Maybe That will help ya! Good luck!

Robert~

·
Registered
23 Posts
yxan2 said:
my Dynamat install definetely made a difference. There still loads of tire and road noise coming thru :) but the doors sound better when shuting them, they give me that benz feel. Acoustically it sounds lots better, speakers perform better.

I bought the HEX for the front as well, where did you mount your crossovers? I want to mount them on the door, but I don't think there's enough space.

·
Registered
779 Posts
NeverT00fast said:
yxan2 said:

I bought the HEX for the front as well, where did you mount your crossovers? I want to mount them on the door, but I don't think there's enough space.
Not sure how large the HEX crossover is, but there can't be much difference. I mounted mine in the doors...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks! Are those M661s? If they are, the crossovers are the same size, just different material. I have the M651s for the back, I have to figure out how to mount the crossover in the rear door too. :(

·
Registered
779 Posts
NeverT00fast said:
Thanks! Are those M661s? If they are, the crossovers are the same size, just different material. I have the M651s for the back, I have to figure out how to mount the crossover in the rear door too. :(
They are actually M651's up front. I don't know if a crossover will fit in the rear doors. Plus, I don't know where you will mount the tweeter other than drilling a mounting hole in the door or something. If I were you, i'd just use the 5.25" woofer as a mid bass and not use the x-over and tweeter. You won't hear much highs from the rear if they are not positioned right. I have the M351i coax in my rear doors and can't hear much highs from them. I get plenty from the fronts. I have the x-over set on +2db and might have to cut it back since I recently installed an amp to run them.

You plan on powering them with an amp, right? I sure hope so. An amp made my Diamonds come to life! Good luck...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: please help, dealer trying to rip me off

stiperformance said:
NeverT00fast said:
They are actually M651's up front. I don't know if a crossover will fit in the rear doors. Plus, I don't know where you will mount the tweeter other than drilling a mounting hole in the door or something. If I were you, i'd just use the 5.25" woofer as a mid bass and not use the x-over and tweeter. You won't hear much highs from the rear if they are not positioned right. I have the M351i coax in my rear doors and can't hear much highs from them. I get plenty from the fronts. I have the x-over set on +2db and might have to cut it back since I recently installed an amp to run them.

You plan on powering them with an amp, right? I sure hope so. An amp made my Diamonds come to life! Good luck...
I finally finished installing the speakers. I mounted the HEX 600s in the front and fitted the Xs in the door(thanks!), and I mounted the M651 in the rear. I couldn't fit the Xs in the rear door, so I mounted them in the trunk. I ended up installing the tweeters for the M6 on the C-Pillar sorta facing the front, it worked out pretty nice I can hear them from the front pretty good. And I'm powering all the speakers with a Eclipse PA5422 Amp, they sound pretty nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts