IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My Dad just sent me this pic along with his disappointment about the power. If what Motortrend wrote is true does this car have a prayer? I think not. At least not in the good ole US of A with the horsepower wars going on right now. I was just curious to see if anyone thought differently.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Easy enough to slap a supercharger or turbo kit and achieve the desired power

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but $35,000 for some brakes and aero. I just think it's priced out of it's segment. I would not even consider paying $35,000 for that car with less than 270HP, but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
This is true, to justify that price it should have a lot more power I feel. At least 250hp

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
lol what a joke.

what good is fine handling arigato superfail if you can't power out of a corner... or a puddle of mud... or snow. Wtf subaru, honda makes faster track cars, guess what, TURBO.

·
Registered
949 Posts
lol what a joke.

what good is fine handling arigato superfail if you can't power out of a corner... or a puddle of mud... or snow. Wtf subaru, honda makes faster track cars, guess what, TURBO.
speaking of honda i saw something about a 2016 type r turbo releasing!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah 35k for 200hp is excessive. I feel like it wouldnt be problematic turbocharging it to the wrx level and having a better platform. ohh well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
This looks like something Mazda would do (cough cough RX8).

Charge the public $30k+ for a car that handles well but doesn't have crap for power.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Unless they literally gave it an ej257 and kept it rwd with that motor, an sti model Brz would be lame. Just buy the crawford turbo kit and enjoy the 440ish rwhp it puts out.
speaking of honda i saw something about a 2016 type r turbo releasing!
old news. Screw honda. Screw FWD and turbo. I dont care how fast its managed around the Ring. While its time is impressive, FWD can piss off. Honda has become so irrelevant for performance.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
It's just an add to sell posters - seriously!

Reactions: Kevin

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
if you want to see what a high powered brz/frs should be and is capable of, check out what phil at element tuning has done with it derived from his racing r&d over the last two or three years. making power is not the problem. the transmission is.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My point wasn't what could be done with the car. These days just about anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. I have a friend that is basically turning an 06 STI into a Group B rally car. At the moment he's working on getting a custom sequential transmission built. I think that alone will be about $20 grand.

I was just blown away at the price of this BRZ for what you get and wondered how others felt about it.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts
My point wasn't what could be done with the car. These days just about anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. I have a friend that is basically turning an 06 STI into a Group B rally car. At the moment he's working on getting a custom built sequential transmission built. I think that alone will be about $20 grand.

I was just blown away at the price of this BRZ for what you get and wondered how others felt about it.
i was just shamelessly plugging phil's development effort.

i feel the same way about this thing as i do the nismo gtr or any other factory tuned car. buy the base car and take the 50k, in the case of the gtr, build it your way and have a much better car when you're done than anything you'd have with the factory version.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's fine. Plug away.

Maybe it's just the times that are a changin'. Back in 2001 the WRX was a great buy for the performance you got. It really was a breakthrough too. Could be we're just in a lull right now waiting for the next sports car revolution though I can't imagine what that might be. I think we've exploited just about every enthusiast pursuit you can with the automobile. We have every configuration available too. AWD, FWD, RWD... small cars and large cars. Cars that focus on handling or going fast in a straight line and some that do both are now accessible by the common man. From small powerful turbo engines to incredibly powerful force-inducted V-8's. It's pretty great actually. If you can imagine it then you can build it given enough money and a good machinist/ engineer. Still though, I wonder sometimes... where do we go from here? What's the next big thing?

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
I wish I could like from phones av pads - like to the last two posts :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts