IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I just did my first timing belt job on my rebuilt engine, I searched around and am aware that it is common for the timing marks to be slightly off. I was hoping someone with experience could look at these pics and let me know if I should leave the timing belt alone, or buy some offset idlers to help pull the gears back into alignment. With the marks aligned when I spin the engine two revolutions the marks will be slightly off / another two revolutions the marks will be slightly off / another two revolutions and the marks are dead on. And it repeat's this order for however long I spin the engine.

Things that could factor into making this decision to leave it alone or get offset idlers...
  • It is a IAG closed deck block
  • My heads were resurfaced for the rebuild
  • I have a .039in head gasket (that's off the top of my head I'll have to check if need be)
  • It is a stock timing belt kit with a hks Kevlar belt
  • The belt went on smoothly with exception to the driver side exhaust cam gear it seemed like it was 1/2 a tooth off so I moved the two gears to accommodate that.
Marks aligned: ( I spun the intake gear slightly to the right to help get the belt onto the exhaust gear)
rev 1 by t0ddp, on Flickr
After two crank revolutions:
rev 2 by t0ddp, on Flickr
rev 3 by t0ddp, on Flickr
rev 4 by t0ddp, on Flickr

·
Registered
367 Posts
i would make sure the outer timing marks line up properly with the marks on the rear timing cover...i usually leave the tensioner off while i get everything else lined up, carefully clamp the belt to the cam gears then put the tensioner on...its a little tight but its been consistent

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Pretty sure that's normal - there are other posts saying the same. Think everyone has this fear the first time. I know my son did. Hmm, I have one due in 20K - which for me isn't all that long!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about it and decided to buy some offset idlers and go for 100%! will update when they arrive.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to update, I did not take any photos, but the offset idlers did in fact correct the slight misalignment. I will say it took me a few hours of going slow adjusting each idler for proper belt tension to keep everything in balance. If you are reading this and have wondered about an offset idler to help correct timing it will help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts