IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STi
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question regarding tires on my 2020 STi.

I just purchased a set of SSR GTX04 wheels (19x9.5 +38 offset) and will be selling my stock (powder coated gold) wheels as a result.

However, I have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires 245/35/19 and while I understand they will fit on my new SSR wheels, they will be stretched out a little since 255/35/19 is a better choice. I don’t want to sell these tires yet because they are fairly new and I love the grip on them (plus a new set of the same tires in a 255 size would be expensive), so would it be safe to use my 245 sized tires on my new SSR wheels for daily use with a few days a year on track usage?
Also does anyone have these wheels and tires setup in their STi and if so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
124 Posts
Assuming 245/35/19 is a square set-up on stock rims 19x8.5. Its quite safe to assume stretching +1 inch is okay. Some shops will not mount any amount of stretched tires but that is in no way an insane or dangerous spec. On my old set-up (different car, lexus is250), I had 19x9.5 with 225/35 tires because it was quite low and needed more clearance from the fenders. And I rode that wheel set-up for years.

So in conclusion, it should be fine.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STi
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming 245/35/19 is a square set-up on stock rims 19x8.5. Its quite safe to assume stretching +1 inch is okay. Some shops will not mount any amount of stretched tires but that is in no way an insane or dangerous spec. On my old set-up (different car, lexus is250), I had 19x9.5 with 225/35 tires because it was quite low and needed more clearance from the fenders. And I rode that wheel set-up for years.

So in conclusion, it should be fine.
Thanks for the reply! How can I tell if it’s a square setup? I know that my Michelin’s are stock tire size 245/35/ZR19

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
124 Posts
Thanks for the reply! How can I tell if it’s a square setup? I know that my Michelin’s are stock tire size 245/35/ZR19
Squared in reference to rim and tire means the side wall of the rim and tires are flushed/flat with each other. Stretched means the tire's width is smaller than the rim's width therefore is stretched to be able to be mounted to the rim. I am not sure what having wider tires than rims is called lol.

Squared in reference to all wheel set-ups means all 4 wheels are the same size/spec. Which you should always have on an AWD car (i.e. subarus). Example of non-squared, aka staggered, set-up is a car with 20x9.5+35 in front and 20x10.5+22 in rear. Typical for RWD cars.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STi
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squared in reference to rim and tire means the side wall of the rim and tires are flushed/flat with each other. Stretched means the tire's width is smaller than the rim's width therefore is stretched to be able to be mounted to the rim. I am not sure what having wider tires than rims is called lol.

Squared in reference to all wheel set-ups means all 4 wheels are the same size/spec. Which you should always have on an AWD car (i.e. subarus). Example of non-squared, aka staggered, set-up is a car with 20x9.5+35 in front and 20x10.5+22 in rear. Typical for RWD cars.
Thanks for the reply and explanation, that helps.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
266 Posts

This guy has 245/35/19 Michelin 4S's stretched onto 19x9.5 et38.
While it isn't the exact same tire, most high-performance Michelins are similar in how the sidewall profile is.
It will drive and ride fine, but tbh a 255 or 265 tire will be 'better' in that you have a little more meat protecting the edge of the rim/wheel from the coping and you are truly taking advantage of the 9.5" wheel you just put on the car.

On my 'fun car' I used to have 245's on 19x9's on the front but I actually ended up switching to 255's on 18x9's for that little extra bit of meat and traction.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STi
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 63231
View attachment 63232
View attachment 63233
This guy has 245/35/19 Michelin 4S's stretched onto 19x9.5 et38.
While it isn't the exact same tire, most high-performance Michelins are similar in how the sidewall profile is.
It will drive and ride fine, but tbh a 255 or 265 tire will be 'better' in that you have a little more meat protecting the edge of the rim/wheel from the coping and you are truly taking advantage of the 9.5" wheel you just put on the car.

On my 'fun car' I used to have 245's on 19x9's on the front but I actually ended up switching to 255's on 18x9's for that little extra bit of meat and traction.
Wow, those wheels look like my new SSR wheels!

I've actually decided to purchase a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (265/30/ZR19) to have more contact points on my new 9.5" wheels, and I have posted my stock 8.5" wheels (powder coated gold) with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for sale.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
266 Posts
Wow, those wheels look like my new SSR wheels!

I've actually decided to purchase a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (265/30/ZR19) to have more contact points on my new 9.5" wheels, and I have posted my stock 8.5" wheels (powder coated gold) with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for sale.
Sounds like a great plan!
Those 265's will be like glue covered steam rollers :LOL:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question regarding tires on my 2020 STi.

I just purchased a set of SSR GTX04 wheels (19x9.5 +38 offset) and will be selling my stock (powder coated gold) wheels as a result.

However, I have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires 245/35/19 and while I understand they will fit on my new SSR wheels, they will be stretched out a little since 255/35/19 is a better choice. I don’t want to sell these tires yet because they are fairly new and I love the grip on them (plus a new set of the same tires in a 255 size would be expensive), so would it be safe to use my 245 sized tires on my new SSR wheels for daily use with a few days a year on track usage?
Also does anyone have these wheels and tires setup in their STi and if so, how do you like it?
I was interested in getting the SSR GTX04 for my 2018 STI but could never really find a pic. Do you happen to have some pics with them on your STI?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts