IW STi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a samco intake elbow and my intake calibration table went out the window. I ended up having to add 15-20% in some areas. This is the accordian elbow that connects the intake to the turbo inlet. Seems to have screwed up my mid/high rpm WOT AFRs too. I'm richer by .4 now or something. Didn't get to log it but I saw it on my SM3, I dipped in to 10.5:1 at one point.

Not sure if I want to mess with the intake calibration up top now or just specify leaner readings in the fuel table. I think its easier to just adjust the fuel table. Or since my WOT readings are messed up, maybe lower my scaler number to lean out the top and redo the whole intake calibration table?

I would have thought the intake calibration would be okay since the changes were done after the MAF. I have a 65mm APS CAI which I had pretty much dialed in except for one area that wanted another 12% that I never got around to fixing.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
I know this is crazy so sorry for suggesting it. But, what happens if you take it off and reinstall it? You might have an air leak somewhere (explains the need to add fuel - but I can't explain the richer readings up top). FWIW, I am using that elbow with my 70mm.

I think something is messed up because 20% is way too much for just an elbow - IMHO.

t

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is a leak I'll bet its where the samco hose meets the perrin turbo inlet. The samco hose seemed to be a larger diameter than the stock hose.

I'll remove the elbow and go back to the previous map I was using.

Did you have your elbow before or after you got ST?

WolfPlayer said:
I know this is crazy so sorry for suggesting it. But, what happens if you take it off and reinstall it? You might have an air leak somewhere (explains the need to add fuel - but I can't explain the richer readings up top). FWIW, I am using that elbow with my 70mm.

I think something is messed up because 20% is way too much for just an elbow - IMHO.

t

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the intake elbow off and found the metal ring to the perrin inlet hose was out of round!! I'm not buying perrin products anymore. The only perrin product that hasn't given me trouble is the tmic and the throttle body hose.. =( So I straighten the ring out and adjust it so there is more ring sticking out of the inlet and put the samco back on. AFRs seem to be okay again. Looks like it was a post maf intake leak.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I took the intake elbow off and found the metal ring to the perrin inlet hose was out of round!! I'm not buying perrin products anymore. The only perrin product that hasn't given me trouble is the tmic and the throttle body hose.. =( So I straighten the ring out and adjust it so there is more ring sticking out of the inlet and put the samco back on. AFRs seem to be okay again. Looks like it was a post maf intake leak.
Woo! That was my guess. Great to hear it's coolio again.

t

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! It still scares me to think of all the people modding their cars without all the monitoring equipment that we have.

Thanks Wolf!

WolfPlayer said:
Woo! That was my guess. Great to hear it's coolio again.

t

1 - 8 of 8 Posts