IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I made a hood scoop protective mesh about a month ago, out of metallic window mesh screen. The squares are very small (about 2mm), and I'm wondering if this somehow is affecting performance.
The reason why I ask is because a few nights ago, a friend from the board and I went out, and we ran our STi's and he could pull on me like crazy. He is stock as well as me but only has the silencer removed.
The only other thing that I could think of is that I had 2 friends with me on the car, and he had his girlfriend only (little weight advantage).
Is it possible that the mesh screen is somehow affecting performance?
I was thinking about resetting the ECU and driving the car hard, that way it will adapt better, would this help at all?

Thanks
-d

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
mkewrx said:
Hey guys,
I made a hood scoop protective mesh about a month ago, out of metallic window mesh screen. The squares are very small (about 2mm), and I'm wondering if this somehow is affecting performance.
The reason why I ask is because a few nights ago, a friend from the board and I went out, and we ran our STi's and he could pull on me like crazy. He is stock as well as me but only has the silencer removed.
The only other thing that I could think of is that I had 2 friends with me on the car, and he had his girlfriend only (little weight advantage).
Is it possible that the mesh screen is somehow affecting performance?
I was thinking about resetting the ECU and driving the car hard, that way it will adapt better, would this help at all?

Thanks
-d
I wouldn't put anything in front of the intercooler. What's the point, for protection? You can bend back minor dents in minutes. A screen will definitely be a restriction to airflow.

-st

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my name is not Mike ;) but yes, I'm talking about Amir. :D

-d

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STi_Thunder said:
Well ... 2 friends @ 160lbs each + 3263 = 3583 pounds ... you are at disadvantage ...
I always thought that weight advantage would only play a role from a launch, but not from a roll. :-?

·
Registered
129 Posts
it's a huge issue with the STi. you dont notice it as much in larger cars or torque monsters. But I ran at MSR with an instructor. When he got out, it was a night-and-day difference in acceleration.

·
Registered
347 Posts
anytime the car is accelerating, additional weight will make a difference. if the car weighs 200lbs more, it doesn't matter whether it's a standing start, or a rolling start.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
So, sticking a mesh over the TMIC will definitely block air to it. What about putting the mesh on the scoop?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Strut Bars or Sway bars?

get rid of that screen dennis! ill race you again for like the 10th million time! i guess my baby is hella fast!!!! ;-)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well I think that if you must have some sort of screen protecting the intercooler, putting it directly over it would be the best solution. But anything that you put in there is going to reduce airflow to some degree.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm keeping my mesh screen in for daily driving. I've caught lots of bugs, and after 5k miles the IC looks like new. For AutoX or expected 'spirited' driving, take it out. Quite simple -

M

·
0 Posts
HELP...is 15.5psi safe to run on an sti with no tuning?

Snax: I've heard the logic, and I've seen the 'math' from others, but the power charts are not affected on my car with or without the screen.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
I can see it having an effect when driving in auto-x/track days where u need airflow to keep things cool... but in everyday driving in short bursts i dont see the screen having an effect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I really doubt that anyone will notice some performance loss because of an IC screen. Yes, it does lower the cooling capacity slightly. What would you expect the difference in temperatures to be with the screen vs w/o the screen. Probably ~2-5 degrees..... maybe, translating to ~1-5hp difference. I keep mine in all the time especially in the summer. Bugs are a real PITA to pick out especially the big ones like dragonflies, wasps, etc.

Weight is a HUGE factor in the way your STi feels. For example look up the new EVO RS. It is lightened ~150lbs and has a 0-60 time that's ~.4 secs faster and a 1/4 mile time that is also significantly faster.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
its also a driver issue ;-)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FasStAsS_sTi said:
its also a driver issue ;-)
Ok, that does it!! I'm calling you out!!! LOL

-d