IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: Just dreaming outloud but has anybody ever done a 4cyl to 6cyl swap and made it work? If possible, do tell, if not, oh well.:confused:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, I'll have enough money after this winter to do a engine swap to H6.
I would like to twin-turbo it if possible. Maybe a stroker kit if it exists.
You guys know more about this stuff than I do. What would I have to do to make this work? I'll have about $40,000 left over to make it work. Will that be enough? WTF am I talkin aboot, it better be.
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
the best thing to do would be to call up Perrin Performance, or Gruppe-s as i know they have both done H6 swaps. they'll be able to explain the costs to you much better than almost anyone here.

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
Why dont you do a single 40R turbo? With the extra displacment should spool somewere near what the EJ25 can do with a 35R.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said, you guys have a better idea of what to do than me. I just wanted some ideas on building something unique and extreme. I prefer rallying but that's to hard on cars and alot of $$$. I know, my old man did it.

I just help get the oil we use out of the ground. You talking pressure, try 5000psi + 2,000,000cu/ft per 24hour of gas. Now thats cyl pressure LOL.

I've had my sti for 18 months and only have 18000km on it. The only time I have to do ANYTHING is spring, summer and begining of fall. Winter is about 5-6 months and a total writeoff for any kinda life or days off so I'm planning ahead now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
EZ30R motor is your best bet. The "R" has AVCS. Don't stroke it, just give it high REV capabilities (HEADS) to get the most out of a GT35R, GT40R, or GT42R. You will need the rest of your $$$ for what is going to break. Look into PPG DOGBOX and so forth. I'm sure parts will start to snap off with all that TQ. Good luck!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Spooln

Thanks Spooln. I actually thought about using the new Porsche twin turbos because of their new "Variable Impelar Fin Angle"turbos. It's something along the lines of when you lift, the fins change their angle to almost flat and the turbo dosen't lose any spool to air friction. Almost no lag.

I'm doing the reasearch now. I got the shop and mechanic lined up no prob.
Now all I need is ideas and make a pile of money this winter.

Keep the ideas and comments commin guys.

BTW, PPG Dogbox? What is that?

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Now the H6 motor is 3.0 litre displacement, correct? If so, out of curiousity, why do they not look into an SVX sized motor. If I recall it was a 3.3litre H6, while the newer edition H6's are 3.0litre. If there is no replacement for displacement in regards to making these large sized turbos spool, I'm confused why this route was not considered.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe the new motors are built tougher and more reliable. I dont know.
I just want some feedback in order to get some ideas of what to do come spring.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
if you have 40k, put a rb26dett in there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
He's talking about a nissan skyline motor.

www.linaracing.com
It's been done by this guy in an older 2 dr imprezza. He swapped the EZ30, which doesn't have the DOHC or variable valve timing of the EZ30R. The EZ30R is very new, and will probably cost you in the neighborhood of 4k to get a good running example. I thought of jamming one in my honda project, but went a different route. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh OK. I've seen vids of 1300hp skylines dyno'd. I work oil rigs but i'm not that eagar to get killed.

check it out on

www.dpccars.com in the video gallery

If you can think of a car, they probally got 100 vids of it on there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I expect some criticism for what I am about to write. Please take it as my educated opinion. The EG33, SVX motor stock can take more abuse than a stock EZ30R. The EG33 has thicker cylinder walls, has been tried and trued for many past builds. The cons are the rotational mass of the internals, the motor has to be special fabricated to fit the engine bay (custom radiator placement) and will never be able to REV like an EZ30R. What the EZ30R looses in displacement more than makes up in technology and engineering. The main thing that sets the EZ30R apart is the "R" AVCS (subies version of VTEC). Not that i'm a HONDA fan I respect their technology. The EZ30R is just a mere 20mm or (0.8'') longer than a EJ257 motor in an STI. It's almost a drop in minus the motor mounts. You won't loose your cars balance and there isn't as much of a weight increase. Not that the EG33 weights much more than an EZ30R. It's not always how much it weights but, how it carries it's weight. Modded vs modded raises another debate, being that both will cost similar and both will hold plenty of whp. I would say a 1-1.5k higher rev limit, the EZ30R will more than make up it's .3ltr of displacement, especially when a GT40R is thrown into play. The EZ30R's full potential has yet to be proved and it's still climbing. Soon enough there will be a handful of EZ30R's roaming the streets at a 600-800+ whp range. It's only a matter of time and money. Not to debate and undermine someone elses valid educated opinion it's only my opinion. I hope this brings another point of view to displacement. Good luck, I'm happy to hear people go against the grain.

Good resources would be Perrin, PDXTuning, and KingPin. Check them out.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
SPOOLN STI said:
I expect some criticism for what I am about to write. Please take it as my educated opinion. The EG33, SVX motor stock can take more abuse than a stock EZ30R. The EG33 has thicker cylinder walls, has been tried and trued for many past builds. The cons are the rotational mass of the internals, the motor has to be special fabricated to fit the engine bay (custom radiator placement) and will never be able to REV like an EZ30R. What the EZ30R looses in displacement more than makes up in technology and engineering. The main thing that sets the EZ30R apart is the "R" AVCS (subies version of VTEC). Not that i'm a HONDA fan I respect their technology. The EZ30R is just a mere 20mm or (0.8'') longer than a EJ257 motor in an STI. It's almost a drop in minus the motor mounts. You won't loose your cars balance and there isn't as much of a weight increase. Not that the EG33 weights much more than an EZ30R. It's not always how much it weights but, how it carries it's weight. Modded vs modded raises another debate, being that both will cost similar and both will hold plenty of whp. I would say a 1-1.5k higher rev limit, the EZ30R will more than make up it's .3ltr of displacement, especially when a GT40R is thrown into play. The EZ30R's full potential has yet to be proved and it's still climbing. Soon enough there will be a handful of EZ30R's roaming the streets at a 600-800+ whp range. It's only a matter of time and money. Not to debate and undermine someone elses valid educated opinion it's only my opinion. I hope this brings another point of view to displacement. Good luck, I'm happy to hear people go against the grain.

Good resources would be Perrin, PDXTuning, and KingPin. Check them out.
Excellent post, I have wondered why the SVX motor was not used or considered. Technology of the new EZ30R is a fair enough answer for me, as the SVX motor has not progressed into newer vehicles, it seems obsolete at this point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts