IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
At 17 I promise that OP does not grasp how much money what he wants will cost or be able to afford it. Most full salaried adults couldn't afford to build or maintain a 500 whp STI.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Re: Re: Can a 500+ HP Built Subaru be a Daily?

You don't need to, just protune it and consider better tires when the stockers wear out. I was driven in a N/A BRZ recently that just had a stage 1 flash and while not super fast, nowhere near stay stage 2 STi levels, it could hold its own with some decent pull. It's definitely a car that doesn't need 350whp to be fun. Stock the tune is also very restrictive, and according to the owner (which can always inflate claims so take it as it is) he got his dyno tuned for another 30whp with minor exhaust mods which is a stretch, but still believable. More importantly the car felt more than quick enough. He was keeping up with much "better" cars on the track, but he also had track tires on.

In other words a little modding, particularly bushings and brakes and swaybars and springs and mild stuff is fun. The more you push the power, the bigger the risk you take, there's always something prone to more forces than it was designed to hold or more temp thus raising the chance that you will break something expensive.

Perhaps the first mod time and again recommended on this forum for which to save up is not a physical mod, but 5k (more is better) for broken driveline things like a shortblock. If it takes you "painfully long" to save up that amount, it means you cannot afford to mod your car and therefore shouldn't.

EDIT: Wait, OP is 17? There are better things to spend your money.

Go to school, get a good, high paying degree, run a $500 dollar clunker until you get a real job. This is not the time in your life for a 500whp money pit!
I never said anytime soon buying the car. I know I'm 17 and have a long road.. I was asking questions because I'm an information whore... I like to know. I like to research for the future. Its good insight for the future.. This is a dream of mine and it isn't something I can obtain tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Why do you want a 500 HP Subaru? Mine is 500-650 HP depending on my fuel choice (94 oct. or E85) .... it's boring as f--k to drive on the street, because well ... I generally follow the speed limit. The time I open it up, it's laggy and then goes dangerously fast ... it's very loud so I usually park it in my garage before 9pm not to piss off people I live around, hops all over the place, every dick revs on me and wants to race (not knowing they will get smoked), gets horrible gas milage, I have to warm it up for about 5 mins before I drive it, and wait about 5 minutes before I turn it off so it can cool down ... basically, my 3.0 Litre Outback Automatic is WAY more fun to drive as a daily -- comfort, leather seats, no hard ass clutch, no noise, nice climate control, and nobody messes with me.

Sure, underground garages are fun to go into, during the summer it's nice to cruise it past people to feel "manly" -- and the ocassional woop ass on a GT-R, M3/5, Audi, etc ... is fun ... but for the most part, sucks. My advice is if you daily drive, keep it stock. A stock or Stage 1 STi is probably the best fun wise ...

Reactions: Toivonen

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Why do you want a 500 HP Subaru? Mine is 500-650 HP depending on my fuel choice (94 oct. or E85) .... it's boring as f--k to drive on the street, because well ... I generally follow the speed limit. The time I open it up, it's laggy and then goes dangerously fast ... it's very loud so I usually park it in my garage before 9pm not to piss off people I live around, hops all over the place, every dick revs on me and wants to race (not knowing they will get smoked), gets horrible gas milage, I have to warm it up for about 5 mins before I drive it, and wait about 5 minutes before I turn it off so it can cool down ... basically, my 3.0 Litre Outback Automatic is WAY more fun to drive as a daily -- comfort, leather seats, no hard ass clutch, no noise, nice climate control, and nobody messes with me.

Sure, underground garages are fun to go into, during the summer it's nice to cruise it past people to feel "manly" -- and the ocassional woop ass on a GT-R, M3/5, Audi, etc ... is fun ... but for the most part, sucks. My advice is if you daily drive, keep it stock. A stock or Stage 1 STi is probably the best fun wise ...
I guess its about opinion? And taste? What you find boring I might find exciting.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Yup. Even donig a lot of my own work, it's a total money pit -- it's fun when it works and I can use it, but otherwise ... waste'o money. If I were 17, I'd get a used RS and have fun with that ... and save the rest for a house with a big ass garage to play in ;-)

At 17 I promise that OP does not grasp how much money what he wants will cost or be able to afford it. Most full salaried adults couldn't afford to build or maintain a 500 whp STI.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
So cruising the speed limit next to hoopties in a ticking time-bomb is fun to you? If you don't plan to race it, why waste your money? I mean, if you've got deep pockets, go for it -- but you asked for advice so you're getting it.

I guess its about opinion? And taste? What you find boring I might find exciting.

·
Super Moderator
8,794 Posts

BTDT, and is exactly why I kept my STi pretty tame in every department. I still enjoy driving it on the street.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
I guess I won't be getting a 500+ HP Subie Lol
If you really have the bug, personalize your own car. Get a couple exhaust mods (can buy some decatted exhaust and aftermarket headers 2nd hand on NASIOC reel cheep) and a pro tune and you'll break 145whp. That's not bad for a base Impreza. Want to go a little more, upgrade your brake pads to something halfway decent, nothing too crazy, upgrade the steering bushings, shifter bushings and maybe get some springs or a master cylinder brace. Do most of these yourself, learn how to work on your car, see how you like it for size. None of these mods is terribly expensive and except the springs requires taking apart a whole lot of things.

Try some local autocrosses or save up for a track day. Learn the art of HP driving. Do this over the course of the next few years getting you through a decent college program as your limited budget will allow. You'll come in with a better understanding for how cars and mods work and see if you still want more.

Most people are so quick at wanting a better car. The only time you should truly consider a better car is when another person can no longer post a faster time than you if they as your instructor take it for a spin around the track or autocross, that's when you know you've mastered it and are ready for more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·

If you really have the bug, personalize your own car. Get a couple exhaust mods (can buy some decatted exhaust and aftermarket headers 2nd hand on NASIOC reel cheep) and a pro tune and you'll break 145whp. That's not bad for a base Impreza. Want to go a little more, upgrade your brake pads to something halfway decent, nothing too crazy, upgrade the steering bushings, shifter bushings and maybe get some springs or a master cylinder brace. Do most of these yourself, learn how to work on your car, see how you like it for size. None of these mods is terribly expensive and except the springs requires taking apart a whole lot of things.

Try some local autocrosses or save up for a track day. Learn the art of HP driving. Do this over the course of the next few years getting you through a decent college program as your limited budget will allow. You'll come in with a better understanding for how cars and mods work and see if you still want more.

Most people are so quick at wanting a better car. The only time you should truly consider a better car is when another person can no longer post a faster time than you if they as your instructor take it for a spin around the track or autocross, that's when you know you've mastered it and are ready for more.
You know that honestly doesn't sound too bad. I'll work at it and keep you guys updated!

Thanks so much for all your input!

41 - 60 of 99 Posts