IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm Pretty new to all this and I'm a newbie so I just have a few questions.

My dream car is to have a 2007 WRB STI at about 500+ AWHP. Is that possible to have as a daily? I mean I know a lot of people build their cars and use them as track cars or weekend warriors but is it possible? And i mean just driving to work and back in slow town traffic and stuff like that. Would I have to worry about other problems? (Stalling..? Etc.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Yes it is possible.

1. Call IAG, there are very few shops with the expertise and coordination in terms of engine buildling, fabrication, and tuning that can build 500whp daily driven monsters with a 12k mile/1year warranty that they standby. People from all over have driven to their shop and even shipped from foreign countries. Their turnaround time is fast too (2-3 weeks tops for whatever your dream setup).

2. Follow these rules: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-m...y-built-setup-protecting-your-investment.html

I'm stuck in traffic all the time :lol: No adverse effects.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Can a 500+ HP Built Subaru be a Daily?

Yes it is possible.

1. Call IAG, there are very few shops with the expertise and coordination in terms of engine buildling, fabrication, and tuning that can build 500whp daily driven monsters with a 12k mile/1year warranty that they standby. People from all over have driven to their shop and even shipped from foreign countries. Their turnaround time is fast too (2-3 weeks tops for whatever your dream setup).

2. Follow these rules: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-m...y-built-setup-protecting-your-investment.html

I'm stuck in traffic all the time :lol: No adverse effects.
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It can, but that doesn't mean it's not an absolutely awful idea.
Even as my daily driver I still would be able to drive it hard and do long pulls with it. Not everything would be slow.. What about the 500+ HP BMW and Mercs out there? They get stuck in traffic sometimes too..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm talking from a reliability standpoint. A 500whp Subaru will be far from a model example of reliability.
So where do I draw the line then? How much HP can I get out of a car before its super unreliable?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
These motors can blow if you even look at them them funny however, I've been lucky to have had 2 STis with no issues over last 8 years. Both tuned on stock turbos by a knowledgable tuner. Max power is 350 whp / 390 wtq on E85 @ 19.5 psi. Thats pushing it and most would say the limit to what these cars should be pushed with stock motors. The great thing about the stock turbo is it spools so quickly. Once you start swapping out for bigger turbos there will be more lag which will make daily driving more of a chore. I dont know of any quick spooling 500 whp set ups. Something like a dom 1.5xtr on E85 will spool quickly and hit mid 400s on E85. You could put a built motor in and a bigger turbo and run it for many miles with no issues, or it could be sitting in your garage not running.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
Sure. Its not even a terrible idea if you have plenty of money and a second car :)

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
So where do I draw the line then? How much HP can I get out of a car before its super unreliable?
I say it becomes unreliable when you have to put drag radials/slicks/R888s on it to get traction which becomes a problem if it rains for a daily driver :lol: That point being 700-750whp.

If you properly build it (meaning everything from the assembly, to choosing the right parts to handle the power, to tuning it) and properly monitor it (knock, oil levels, identifying potential failure points), you can make it mechanically reliable at whatever obscene horsepower level you desire.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
Can a 500+ HP Built Subaru be a Daily?

sure, as long as you have 1) lots of disposable income for a mind numbing level of maintenance (youre going to go through every wear item on the car faster) 2) more disposal income for upgrades to the ecu, brakes, bushings and everything else (because a 500+hp mil changes EVERYTHING 3) a plan "b" car for when it's down and 4) a high toleration for loud noises and nvh and neighbors who'd like to kill you.

for additional discouragement, follow the link in my sig to "big project builds". if youre going to be stupid you better be tough.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
neighbors who'd like to kill you.
That is a problem for me on cold starts :lol: You have to cover your ears if god forbid you are outside in the vicinity of the car. Quiet when it is warmed up and when I want it to be ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I say it becomes unreliable when you have to put drag radials/slicks/R888s on it to get traction which becomes a problem if it rains for a daily driver :lol: That point being 700-750whp.

If you properly build it (meaning everything from the assembly, to choosing the right parts to handle the power, to tuning it) and properly monitor it (knock, oil levels, identifying potential failure points), you can make it mechanically reliable at whatever obscene horsepower level you desire.
700 HP seems a bit much to me..:eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Can a 500+ HP Built Subaru be a Daily?

sure, as long as you have 1) lots of disposable income for a mind numbing level of maintenance (youre going to go through every wear item on the car faster) 2) more disposal income for upgrades to the ecu, brakes, bushings and everything else (because a 500+hp mil changes EVERYTHING 3) a plan "b" car for when it's down and 4) a high toleration for loud noises and nvh and neighbors who'd like to kill you.

for additional discouragement, follow the link in my sig to "big project builds". if youre going to be stupid you better be tough.
Yeah I suppose. I guess I might as well keep it in the 400-450HP range.. But I have no problems with loud noises I'm always around them.... And I'm sure I'll have a few neighbors that will want too:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

These motors can blow if you even look at them them funny however, I've been lucky to have had 2 STis with no issues over last 8 years. Both tuned on stock turbos by a knowledgable tuner. Max power is 350 whp / 390 wtq on E85 @ 19.5 psi. Thats pushing it and most would say the limit to what these cars should be pushed with stock motors. The great thing about the stock turbo is it spools so quickly. Once you start swapping out for bigger turbos there will be more lag which will make daily driving more of a chore. I dont know of any quick spooling 500 whp set ups. Something like a dom 1.5xtr on E85 will spool quickly and hit mid 400s on E85. You could put a built motor in and a bigger turbo and run it for many miles with no issues, or it could be sitting in your garage not running.
Is 400HP possible on a stock turbo??

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
lidrew just wrote 350 on E85. Full supporting mods on 91 will be closer to 300 in real numbers. See EFI's dyno database.

·
Super Moderator
8,794 Posts
I kept my goals at 400whp. Apparently I planned the build so well, it made 430whp before the clutch started slipping. With that said, I do have some money in the car, but not nearly as much as one would think. I did upgrade all the bushings and suspension, however, the car came with a few good parts where I did not have to spend the money. I was pretty much forced to upgrade the suspension because the lowering springs rode like trash. Aside from the ELH, the KWv1's are the best think I did to the car.

For the most part, my car rides pretty smooth (firm but forgiving), is pretty quiet (new Group-N mounts and shifter bushings gave a little transmission whine), and the exhaust does not drone and is about as quiet as a stock car. The only real noise I have to speak of is the EWG... That will be silenced soon as I simply do not like the obnoxious noise it makes for a street car.

Do have a lot of confidence in the motor... Not really. I built it and I'm confident in that, I just know that these motors aren't exactly strong and pushing them as hard as many want to push them these days, really increased the chance of something happening.

Is 400HP possible on a stock turbo??
At the wheels? No.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I kept my goals at 400whp. Apparently I planned the build so well, it made 430whp before the clutch started slipping. With that said, I do have some money in the car, but not nearly as much as one would think. I did upgrade all the bushings and suspension, however, the car came with a few good parts where I did not have to spend the money. I was pretty much forced to upgrade the suspension because the lowering springs rode like trash. Aside from the ELH, the KWv1's are the best think I did to the car.

For the most part, my car rides pretty smooth (firm but forgiving), is pretty quiet (new Group-N mounts and shifter bushings gave a little transmission whine), and the exhaust does not drone and is about as quiet as a stock car. The only real noise I have to speak of is the EWG... That will be silenced soon as I simply do not like the obnoxious noise it makes for a street car.

Do have a lot of confidence in the motor... Not really. I built it and I'm confident in that, I just know that these motors aren't exactly strong and pushing them as hard as many want to push them these days, really increased the chance of something happening.

At the wheels? No.
Well I guess I have a lot if research and work to do before I get anywhere close to 500+ HP..

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
I just know that these motors aren't exactly strong and pushing them as hard as many want to push them these days, really increased the chance of something happening.
even with stock internals, the 04-05 engines were pretty robust. I know phil used to tune them to 500hp without blinking. i'd be a lot more concerned if it was a later model gr. sumptin' metallurgical going on there.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts