IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a hypothetical question and situation

is it possible to get a million miles out of a new 2020 WRX STI?

This of course means that the car was broken in properly, and through out the cars lifetime wear and tear items are replaced and the car was well maintained and left STOCK.

However no changing of the cars engine( EJ257), heads, transmission, or differentials.

Do you guys think its possible?
With the exception that turbos can be replaced.

If so, or no im curious as to see why.

If you have any other questions in regards to this one please feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
No, and no other car I am aware of.

FYI: Pistons, bores and bearings will all go sooner or later. Later is near 300K which is the "known" record as we know it - was an 05 if I remember correctly. Engine-wise a 2020 is barely different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, and no other car I am aware of.

FYI: Pistons, bores and bearings will all go sooner or later. Later is near 300K which is the "known" record as we know it - was an 05 if I remember correctly. Engine-wise a 2020 is barely different.
There are Toyota’s that have gone 1 million miles. It’s kind of their thing...

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
"It’s kind of their thing..."

Sounds s if you believe it is common. The article says otherwise

“Having a million-mile truck in as pristine condition as this one with original parts is a truly rare find,”

It's not an STI . . .

We've owned a few Toyotas - only one at end of life - under 300K - don't remember exactly - not a Tundra. Actually I know of a few that got near 300K, but they were not like new.

Anyway it's not the only million mile claim ever made. There are web pages with a few. Used to be most were diesel.
But statistically You'll never make it in any car you own, and we can be sure enough about this to place long odd bets on it . . . more sure in an STI.

Never seen a higher one than this:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
For a car to last a million miles is pretty rare. I dont see an sti of any generation really being that kind of car. Normally cars that last for even 200K on the original powertrain are usually economy NA type set ups.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Another answer; sure!
On a car carrier!

·
Registered
4 Posts
"It’s kind of their thing..."

Sounds s if you believe it is common. The article says otherwise
I meant their reputation for reliability and longevity. Like people saying “those things will go a million miles”. Even if just a few cars, not many manufacturers can even make that claim.

It's not an STI . . .
[/QUOTE]

True. I thought you meant in general and maybe hadn’t heard of these Toyota’s. It’s possible. Regardless I thought it’d be cool to share as car people we can appreciate that.

Anyway I didn’t meant to derail. A 300k STi is pretty amazing though. Gives me hope!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dad drove a 99 forester for 450k before we finally had to rebuild the motor, that was the highest I have a Subaru on its original motor. My wifes 02 Outback is currently close to 300k

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
My dad drove a 99 forester for 450k before we finally had to rebuild the motor, that was the highest I have a Subaru on its original motor. My wifes 02 Outback is currently close to 300k
either of those turbo?

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Tis what I thought. NAs have longer lives . . .

My STI was rebuilt at 184.5K. I probably could have gotten it to 200K.
It's current built block is due for a rebuild now at 262K - but i have done a lot of work to keep this car on the road - including having the trans rebuilt.

My prior WRX went 227K. Head cracked and burnt a valve.
Rather than rebuild (it was all original with 227K) I bought a used STI - why build a 5sp 2.0L WRX when you can just buy an STI . . .

·
Registered
441 Posts
used to have fun looking at Packards that read 30k miles in the 90s...several reports showed that they regularly rolled over and ran just as good as long as they were taken care of...i will be happy if my STI makes it over 300k...sitting just over 160k currently and still going strong! Am a little worried so have extra engine on a pallet and another sourcing parts for so i have yet another block to keep my chassis going!

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
most old cars rolled over at 100K . . .

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
The best they could say was "

but there was a really big catch. All of the vehicles above had managed to drive 1m, 2m even 3m with very few replacements.

Not the Beetle. This vehicle truly was a terribly built car, but Albert was…um…persistent. Or maybe a bit obsessed? Either way, the final tally of replaced parts reads like a part list from a junk yard.

• 7 new engines
  • 3 transmissions

So the above only had a few engines . . . One or two do say original block. A milage record isn't a record for original stock miles . . . not that millons of miles isn't a lot for a body . . . This was about mechanicaks in STIs though . . . And I havent seen an STI in a million mile list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts