IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a 07 STI be modified to run with a 08 Corvette Z06?

Call it a test of wills, or just a rival among brothers for bragging rights.

With no more of a budget of $10 g's to maximize the STi's power, brakes, and handling to "Safely" compete with an 08 Z06 on a road course and drag strip. Can it be done? And if so, with the vast amount of knowledge this board carries, I would like to hear from every knowledgeable person what type of mods they would go with. Remember that the budget is only $10 g's and the STi must prevail or hold its own on both a road course and drag strip against the bone stock Z06 with reasonable street manners for every day driving use. The 07 STi has only a mild stage 2 setup.

So gentlemen fire away at what you think would work.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,257 Posts
id say no. To compete with it, youd need some serious power like 500+whp which is basically bully built motor and a fat turbo. Then you gotta build up the tranny, brakes, wheels, suspension (coilovers can be over 2500 alone) probably a roll cage, seats and the list goes on. If the budget was closer to 30k Id say that you could have a good chance of beating a 08 z06 "safely"

I guess if you didnt need reliability, you could bolt on a 35r on stock block for about 5k, get some nice coilovers for 2000, wheels and tires for 3k and strip everything out of the car. You might have a chance at that point but theres a chance you'd lose and then you would really look silly.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I don't think it would take THAT much to take one at the drag strip... just need to run deep into the 11's.

On a road course, well, you need a good amount of power with a lot of suspension mods. If you did the labor yourself, you might be able to get all of this done for 10-15K.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
well i think you can but you may have to skip things such as roll cage and brakes...but tranny and big turbo is a must...do you want this to last some time?

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,257 Posts
haha i can just see it now. 550whp rolling on stock wheels and stock brakes with a slipping clutch at the track.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
haha i can just see it now. 550whp rolling on stock wheels and stock brakes with a slipping clutch at the track.
stock brakes are find(for the drag) (for the track you'll need them)..he can find used tires from somone on here... as for the clutch thats a must thats part of adding power. i say work on beating him at the track first...then save an work on the road course.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,257 Posts
if we're talking doing it with all used parts and doing your own labor then yea ok i can maybe see it working, but even then the z06 is no joke. the gearing alone on the z06 makes it way faster than a sti at the strip. All the z06 owner has to do is put some slicks on there and its game over.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if we're talking doing it with all used parts and doing your own labor then yea ok i can maybe see it working, but even then the z06 is no joke. the gearing alone on the z06 makes it way faster than a sti at the strip. All the z06 owner has to do is put some slicks on there and its game over.
On very rare occasions, the ZO6 has ran 10.9's on drag radials... but that's with an exceptional driver, which is not the norm. Typically, they run mid 11's. This is not very hard to do with the STi... given the right mods.

Now, beating one from a roll... that could be very difficult. You would need to trap about 130 MPH to do this.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,257 Posts
a proper turbo kit will set you back at least 5 grand alone for parts. And how long will the stock motor last on 550 whp? The z06 is just as light as a sti, not to mention itll easily hit 55 in 1st gear where as in the sti you'll be getting ready to shift to 3rd. Im not saying it cant be done but you'd be likely to snap an axle launching or have some other failure before you beat the z06.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,257 Posts
ok going back to the OP's original question.

"With no more of a budget of $10 g's to maximize the STi's power, brakes, and handling to "Safely" compete with an 08 Z06 on a road course and drag strip. Can it be done?"

The answer is no.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
a proper turbo kit will set you back at least 5 grand alone for parts. And how long will the stock motor last on 550 whp? The z06 is just as light as a sti, not to mention itll easily hit 55 in 1st gear where as in the sti you'll be getting ready to shift to 3rd. Im not saying it cant be done but you'd be likely to snap an axle launching or have some other failure before you beat the z06.
There's an FP red already in the high 10's... I don't think that's going to be a problem. He never said anything about reliability. To be able to beat one on a road course... it's very possible with the 10K budget.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Use N20 at the strip for 50++ HP gain for the run...on the track, suspension rework and let's face it you can win if you're a better driver...take a bunch of driving classes and practice a lot and set your car up better and you can win, (that and pray for rain)....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok going back to the OP's original question.

"With no more of a budget of $10 g's to maximize the STi's power, brakes, and handling to "Safely" compete with an 08 Z06 on a road course and drag strip. Can it be done?"

The answer is no.
Yea I new it would be very hard press to take on such a car given the limited cash flow. And yes I know I could win a drag shoot out with heavy mods but I know sooner or later the car would not be very streetable. And yes even trying to compete on a road course against bro's Z06 would be very hard press indeed. I guess I will keep reminding him my car is $35k less.;) But it still sucks getting beat like a drum at family gatherings.:mad:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts