IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just got into tracking the STi and want to document my future outings by borrowing my friend's mini-DV camera and buying some kind of mounting hardware.

I've seen camera mounts that use the passenger headrest holes, but this obviously isn't an option on the STi. Nor are the ones that clamp to the roll-cage (don't have that yet). Given that the local club doesn't allow duct-tape or bungee cords as part of the anchoring, what options do I have?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the rear deck sounds like the best option, but I wonder how the picture will be from that far back? Time to experiment. I'd like to get some of the dash in the frame to add some kind of perspective, so I think the rearview mirror is out. And I'm not comfortable screwing with my headliner yet.

Thanks for the input, renichms.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No problem. Bolting to the rear deck can be done a number of ways...straight bolt it down so it just looks forward or with a mount of some sort to lift it off the deck itself. Some mounts can swivel and be adjusted to face at nearly any angle. Zoom could also be adjusted before beginning to drive for the camera, in order to get what you want of the interior. I've been considering this a long time, so it's not long before I permanently mount a few small cameras.

RN

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering about the safety of the back-seat passengers with that bar. I think in the end, I'm going to use something like this, mounted to the rear-deck (but maybe a version with a swivel ball):

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw that mount here:

http://www.futurehomesystems.com/s223.shtml

But there are other similar things out there, some more or less than the $29 they want for that one. I want a mount that I can screw into the deck, but I also want to be able to remove it when I'm not at the track. Or at least so I can remove the tall part so it's not always in my rear view.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: Waiting Germany delivery of my STI

fryguy said:
I have been thinking about installing a harness bar and mounting the camera to it:
i've seen that bar before. it if was something i could install and remove easily (e.g. <=20 minutes of wrenching) when not tracking, it's love to have that thing. regarding use of the back seat, i hadn't noticed it until now, but there are LCDs in the headrests, so somebody expects to have people back there. hopefully that means the bar is removable.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
HarlanPepper said:
I guess the rear deck sounds like the best option...
i think it'd be cool to suction mount a bulletcam to the inside of the windshield next to the rearview mirror. it'd be high (so you can shoot more ground than sky, getting a better sense of speed) and would give you a view close to the driver's view. you'll still need to borrow the mini dv camera of course.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CLOSE OUT!

Yeah, I was briefly considering something like this, too:

But 1) it's pretty big, 2) I don't think it would hold a mini-DV safely, and 3) it would block your field of view. Or maybe not? Says it holds 3 pounds. It's $32. Here's the link:

http://www.securityideas.com/securitycam/pancamwinmou.html

Looks pretty similar to the one in the "Suction mount" section of the link TRM provided there, but with 1 big suction cup instead of 3 small ones. And a more complicated arm.

·
Registered
334 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
fryguy said:
I have been thinking about installing a harness bar and mounting the camera to it:
i've seen that bar before. it if was something i could install and remove easily (e.g. <=20 minutes of wrenching) when not tracking, it's love to have that thing. regarding use of the back seat, i hadn't noticed it until now, but there are LCDs in the headrests, so somebody expects to have people back there. hopefully that means the bar is removable.
I have the Speedware bar in my STi. They say it is removable in about 5-15 minutes. Personally I haven't tried it, but it is pretty clear how it would come out (you leave the support struts in and they fold down, while the bar itself removes, so just four points to detach). I've had passengers in the back at the autocross and they say the bar is great as a Oh SH** bar :) I would never put someone back there at the track though. My kids go in back but they're all strapped into 5 point car seats (I take the extinguisher out since I'm nervous about their playing with it).

You can see some video samples from it here:

http://www.jacobsensation.com/dana/Autox_2003_11_08_run6.wmv
http://www.jacobsensation.com/dana/Autox_2003_11_09_run3.wmv
http://www.jacobsensation.com/dana/bb_2003_r2.wmv

The first two are autocross, the last is a hill climb. Constructive criticism only please -- it was my first year of autocross and my first hillclimb. This is with the IO Port camera mount on the bar, with all three articulations pushed back since I'd like a wider field of view. You can see on the hillclimb video especially how it bounces around on the straights -- I think I need to use the strap to better tie the camera to the bar since I'm guessing a lot of that is the mount being springy.

I took some pictures of the bar after they installed it, and could take more if anyone wants. I still have the stock STi seats and Schroth 6 point harnesses. Racing seats later.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i was at wine country motorsports on monday picking up my harness, and they had a small suction cup mounted video cam mount. i think it was about $115.00. if you are still looking, let me know and i'll check it again this monday, since i have to go out to the track again.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When do we get to do our own STI meeting

no noo no no.. get the sticky pod. go to sticky pod.com and u will see what i am talking about nice little pod i am getting

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
WRX Mundi Are you referring to the bar pictured above? If so how far back can you have the seats with it installed. Do you stock belts stay in also? How easy was the install? Haven't found anyone with it so sorry to ask so many ?s. Also what harness did you get? 4pt 5pt? I need a 5pt but not sure where to secure the 5th pt.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best camera systems I know of are available from Chasecam (aka Conecam) at http://www.chasecam.com . They just came out with a new bullet cam that I plan to get. They also offer a 3 suction cup mount for most MiniDV cameras that works well. My friend uses one and he routinely mounts it to the outside of his S2000 with no problems. To see what you can expect from the conecam click the following link...

http://www.shimmysideways.com/temp/event11.mpg

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I'm a little hesitant to put a camera on the outside of my vehicle due to the possibility of a rock flying up and breaking the lens (and especially because I would be using my friend's mini-DV). Are these fears warranted? Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts