IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Whats opposed forces? My car came with aftermarket rear camber bolts from this previous owner and I want to replace with OEM.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Whats opposed forces? My car came with aftermarket rear camber bolts from this previous owner and I want to replace with OEM.
Again, there are no OEM camber bolts available for the rear. The rear comes from the factory with just regular bolts. There's no camber adjustment.

Opposed Forces is a website that allows you to look up Subaru part numbers.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Again, there are no OEM camber bolts available for the rear. The rear comes from the factory with just regular bolts. There's no camber adjustment.

Opposed Forces is a website that allows you to look up Subaru part numbers.
Yeah I checked the site, unfortunately I'm not very smart.

I have aftermarket adjustable bolts in the rear, I'm looking to take those bolts out and use a factory OEM bolt in place, non adjustable. I don't know if you call the bolt something else?

The reason I'm asking for the front is Is one of my bolts maybe damaged. Want to bring everything to the alignment shop.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
If you aren't comfortable looking it up on OF, just go to your local subaru dealership and ask in the parts department. They'll know what you're talking about and the bolts aren't that expensive.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
This may be a stupid question. Do you need to get an alignment after installing camber bolts?
Absolutely. You may have opposing settings that will make your car unsafe to drive and also ride horribly.

Did you add aftermarket camber bolts in the front strut (lower clevis hole)?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I have not got them yet just see what all is involved

If you install them yourself, follow the detailed instructions at the beginning of this thread and take your time. I installed Whiteline's in my driveway, then took it to a local alignment shop.

Unless you have a performance shop who does alignments or someone very experienced dealing with cars, you will have a difficult time getting custom settings. A local shop here couldn't get the camber settings I wanted. I went to another shop, and had to get under the alignment rack to show the tech how to set the OEM bolts to the negative camber I wanted while not touching the WL's.

I want to learn self alignments, saving me lots of headaches. :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
So I did this setup...OEM Subaru camber bolt in top hole on strut and aftermarket camber bolt in lower hole when installing my Tein street basis coilovers. Took it to Firestone since I have lifetime alignment there and the guy that was gonna do it said the top bolts were not camber and that I had everything backwards. Keep in mind this guy drove a GR sti! I simply told him I ordered the OEM camber bolts from Subaru and installed everything myself but he didn't believe me just because the head of the OEM bolt was too big to be a camber bolt?! I told em to give me my car back....

Even if I was right I'm not sure they would have done the alignment cause of the bolt setup. Should I just take it to another shop?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
So I did this setup...OEM Subaru camber bolt in top hole on strut and aftermarket camber bolt in lower hole when installing my Tein street basis coilovers. Took it to Firestone since I have lifetime alignment there and the guy that was gonna do it said the top bolts were not camber and that I had everything backwards. Keep in mind this guy drove a GR sti! I simply told him I ordered the OEM camber bolts from Subaru and installed everything myself but he didn't believe me just because the head of the OEM bolt was too big to be a camber bolt?! I told em to give me my car back....

Even if I was right I'm not sure they would have done the alignment cause of the bolt setup. Should I just take it to another shop?
I have the firestone lifetime alignment too. I've been there 4 times already in less than 6 months LOL.

Anyhoot, ask for a different tech. Or, if you're like me I have two firestones in town, just go to another one and get a different tech that doesn't know too much. :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
In the front, the adjustment is the same. The rear end is MUCH different from 08 on because they went to the multilink rear end.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In the front, the adjustment is the same. The rear end is MUCH different from 08 on because they went to the multilink rear end.
From what I understand rear camber is not adjustable via a bolt on the 2015 but front camber is? For the front are the bolts the same for all years or are they specific?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Check the part numbers to see if it's literally the same bolt in the front. They may have changed the bolt size but, even if they did, the operating principle is the same.

For the rear, yeah, you have to replace some stuff they did with a different bushing to allow camber adjustment.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Back from the dead again...

I am pretty confused. I have never seen a washer with the tab and handle on my cars before.

I have a 2013 wrx hatch (put REC regular guys lower springs on it myself, marked front camber bolts and just put them back in same way they came out, zero issues). 2015 sti with fa500 coilovers. 2000 2.5 rs still stock and not sure whats in there but need to do struts soon. And a 2003 wrx wagon. The 03 wagon is what I need some info on asap.

Just put 2008 fxt struts on it for a lift, front has oem camber bolts and but no washer with a tab and handle, just normal washer. Front camber seems ok from my adjustments, getting an alignment on Saturday but worried I need some adjustment for the rear. The lift has added some positive camber so i probably need camber bolts for the rear. What bolts should I get? OEM bolts? Are they the same on the front? what years/cars can I find them on to get used? What hole should the bolt on the rear go?

Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Back from the dead again...

I am pretty confused. I have never seen a washer with the tab and handle on my cars before.

I have a 2013 wrx hatch (put REC regular guys lower springs on it myself, marked front camber bolts and just put them back in same way they came out, zero issues). 2015 sti with fa500 coilovers. 2000 2.5 rs still stock and not sure whats in there but need to do struts soon. And a 2003 wrx wagon. The 03 wagon is what I need some info on asap.

Just put 2008 fxt struts on it for a lift, front has oem camber bolts and but no washer with a tab and handle, just normal washer. Front camber seems ok from my adjustments, getting an alignment on Saturday but worried I need some adjustment for the rear. The lift has added some positive camber so i probably need camber bolts for the rear. What bolts should I get? OEM bolts? Are they the same on the front? what years/cars can I find them on to get used? What hole should the bolt on the rear go?

Thanks!
The OEM camber bolts are a better design that doesn't require the tabbed washer nonsense. However, it can only be used in the front upper location. You'll have to buy stupid aftermarket bolts with the damned washer to use in the rear.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Also would it matter what side the bolt head and nut are on, like should the bolt head always be towards the front of the car or something or would it not matter? When I took the 03 wagon struts off it had the passenger side and driver side camber bolts going in from opposite sides; like one was with the bolt head to the front of the car and one side had the bolt head to the rear of the car (I think it was drivers side bolt head on front side of car). Is this maybe so that turning the bolt the same way on either side moves the camber in the same direction? Would it really matter what way they are tho?

Thanks!

81 - 100 of 100 Posts