IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
in my search for better understanding how bolts and plates change camber differently, and looking through a bunch of SAI articles, I came across a Whiteline response regarding the placement of the front camber bolts found here.

Re: Fitting Front Camber Adjusters.

Secondly, "undersize" camber bolts are perfectly safe and recommended for road use if replacing the upper clevis bolts which takes the minor share of the load. (Lower bolt takes the majority). There are 3 large companies using this method, one of which is Monroe which has their product manufactured in Germany and is sold with TUEV approval. Whiteline bolts are between 1 – 3mm undersize depending on absolute size – that is, a 12mm bolt has a smaller difference than a 17mm bolt, etc.

Jim Gurieff, Whiteline
Australia
So, Whiteline is claiming that the upper hole is safer because it takes less load than the lower hole. You state that the lower hole is safer because it is less likely to slip. I would think that the bolt taking less load would be less likely to slip, so my question is: Why would putting and aftermarket camber bolt in place of the stock one in the upper position would make it more likely to slip?

I'm trying to get all of this figured out before I go in for a fresh alignment next week, as I have new aftermarket camber bolts I was planning to use until talking to Jack from EFI at the track this past weekend. Now, I am a bit confused by the conflicting recommendations I am hearing, so I am trying to sort out and understand the facts in order to make the determination myself.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
1) There's no argument that the top hole experiences lower shearing loads than the lower hole.

2) Because of #1, most vendors of aftermarket camber bolts call lower hole placement "for race use only".

3) I'm VERY willing to bet that "undersize" in Jim's statement is referring to shaft diameter, not lobe diameter. He's saying that, when replacing a "normal" OEM bolt with a camber bolt (such as in the Impreza rear end), the reduced shaft diameter of the camber bolt still provides sufficient tensile strength.

4) The reduced lobe diameter, not shaft diameter, is why you should never use aftermarket camber bolts in the upper front hole on an Impreza to replace the OEM camber bolt.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
so, the actual lobe on aftermarket camber bolts is smaller than the OEM bolt's lobe, but it happens to be the same size as the lower bolt's diameter? If that is indeed the case, I can see why the upper hole would make it easier for the bolt to slip, but then it surprises me that the bolts would be designed that way by multiple companies with the intent of putting them in the upper hole.

I was just reading the online installation instructions from Ingalls (the bolts I bought from you guys at TiC), and although there are all kinds of disclaimers about these not being intended for racing use, it only specifies using just the upper hole or both holes. Of course, the TiC page where they are sold says the same thing you do about putting them in the lower hole.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
so, the actual lobe on aftermarket camber bolts is smaller than the OEM bolt's lobe, but it happens to be the same size as the lower bolt's diameter? If that is indeed the case, I can see why the upper hole would make it easier for the bolt to slip
You are correct. The upper OEM camber bolt has a honkin huge lobe. That means the hole in the clevis is honkin huge as well.

but then it surprises me that the bolts would be designed that way by multiple companies with the intent of putting them in the upper hole.
Welcome to camber bolts. Almost all the data from the manufacturers is this bad. I have a feeling what happened is that the "default" recommendation for all aftermarket camber bolts is to be put in the upper hole. Then, someone in engineering measured the Subaru knuckle, realized that the only logical place to put the bolt was in the lower hole (because why would you replace a camber bolt with a camber bolt?) and spec'd the correct size bolt for the lower hole (as well as both holes in the rear). However, somewhere along the line, the left and right hand didn't talk to each other and no one realized that the size recommendation plus the location recommendation were at odds with each other.

I was just reading the online installation instructions from Ingalls (the bolts I bought from you guys at TiC)
As I said up top, the reason I wrote this FAQ is that all the instructions are wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a question then.

Would it be possible to put OEM camber bolts on the top and bottom holes instead of using the aftermarket ones?

Recently when I put on new springs, I put a bolt through the bottom hole just to hold the strut in place while I positioned it into the strut tower. I believe the bolt I grabbed was the camber bolt. I did install them properly in the end but I just grabbed a bolt next to me and stuffed it in the hole for the time being.

I could be wrong as my mind was obviously somewhere else. But if so I would be tempted to just use 4 OEM subaru camber bolts instead of using any aftermarket ones. Stronger and less likely to slip.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Color me corrected, you can't fit the OEM camber bolts in the lower holes without grinding out the lower hold (not recommended unless you have a drill press)

How much additional camber w/ camber bolts in lower strut holes? - NASIOC

It would have been impossible for me to accidentally stuff the camber bolt down there.

I have a question then.

Would it be possible to put OEM camber bolts on the top and bottom holes instead of using the aftermarket ones?

Recently when I put on new springs, I put a bolt through the bottom hole just to hold the strut in place while I positioned it into the strut tower. I believe the bolt I grabbed was the camber bolt. I did install them properly in the end but I just grabbed a bolt next to me and stuffed it in the hole for the time being.

I could be wrong as my mind was obviously somewhere else. But if so I would be tempted to just use 4 OEM subaru camber bolts instead of using any aftermarket ones. Stronger and less likely to slip.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
what is the part number for the front top camber bolt for an 06 sti? I ordered this (Front camber bolt (05+): 901660036) and it is the wrong one. Any help?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok. I haven't tried fitting it yet, but I'm not sure it will since it is thicker than the stock one that I pulled out. I'll look at it tomorrow, but the washer that was listed (Front camber bolt washer: 20560AA040) doesn't fit the bolt. Maybe that bolt doesn't run with a washer? Or I need a different washer?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The washer should fit the narrower threaded portion. The bolt must be inserted from the back of the strut to the front.

·
Registered
235 Posts
o ok so the washer just goes on the other side? cool. thanks for you help and fast responses. I'll check it out tomorrow

·
Registered
28 Posts
When installing the camber bolt in the front, the handle doesn't clear the brake caliper bolt when pointing outwards away from the engine. Am I installing this correctly? I'm installing in the same direction as the normal bolt. Installing it on the other side of the strut would clear since there is no brake caliper.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I almost already know the answer to this but would like to hear it from some gurus here...

Can you fit a camber bolt to the rear of an 08+ wrx/sti? I've seen venders selling camber bolts for these model years but doesn't specify if the rear will work

·
Registered
12 Posts
Camber bolts are fairly universal. As it's been mentioned way earlier in this thread, only 2 manufacturers make all the camber bolts available and both are essentially the same.

With that in mind I wouldn't think that the 08 sti wouldn't be able to utilize them.

Looking at some of the shots of the rear suspension in the article below, it looks like the 08+ impreza's strut to knuckle connections and bolts are pretty much identical to the GD chassis.

Project GR STI- Generation 3, an Introduction

In short, I think they'll work perfectly fine for you.

Hope that helps.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts