Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Scooby Newbie
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello (especially you track guys),

I am selling a used AIMS Lap-timer mounted on the factory Subaru dash bezel. The Lap-timer, transmitter, receiver, and bezel are in like new condition. Each item works perfectly and will make a great addition to any enthusiast that enjoys track days and wants to log his progress. In addition to the lap-timers function, it looks great mounted to the dash bezel and will definitely get some attention from other enthusiasts.

This specific AIMS model is not operated using batteries and is designed to be wired into the cars electronics. However, I used a 9 volt battery to power this lap-timer when in use. The 9 volt batteries worked great for one full day at the track (8-10 hours) I would install a new battery at the beginning of each event. You can install the lap-timer any way you like.

The lap-timer and transmitter work perfectly the way they are mounted to the dash bezel. The transmitter was mounted using Velcro (so adjustments can be made if necessary) on the top of the dash bezel, above the lap-timer and clears the left side mirror for an accurate shot at the receiver lap after lap.

Please keep in mind that there are a couple compromises with the installation of this lap-timer. One, the AIMS lap-timer will block your view of the lower portion of the gauge cluster (check engine, low fuel, low intercooler sprayer indicator, ect.) Second, it will block about ¼ inch adjustment of the steering column in the upper position.

The only ugliness of the project was the wiring through the upper portion of the dash bezel. And the reason for this is because the lap-timer has six tiny individual wires that communicate to the transmitter. Each of these wires had to be cut, re-joined, sodered, and coated separately to be mated properly. In doing this, the wires above the bezel don’t look as professional as I would have preferred.

$200.00

I will recommend (if you do not already own one) that you purchase a camera tri-pod to mount the AIMS receiver so that you can confidently place it on the side of the track to record your lap times.

Why are you selling your AIMS Lap-timer? My STi has been returned to stock and is sold! Why don’t you keep it and use it on your next vehicle? Because it was already cleanly mounted to the factory dash bezel, I figured it would make a good addition to someone’s STi and I will purchase another unit when the time comes.

The buyer will pay shipping and I can arrange a COD if necessary. I prefer a local pickup. Paying with PayPal is also another payment option.

Please PM me if you are interested in the AIMS lap-timer mounted on the factory dash bezel.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
928 Posts
Wow Mike cools set up. What kind of range does the receiver/transmitter have? Is the receiver included? How close to the track does this have to be placed? For example could I set up the tripod in the pits at SOW and still get a time?

·
Scooby Newbie
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^^^^
Thanks for the compliment. The installation of this laptimer is the cleanest I have seen on anybody's STi or track car for that matter. Most of the time they are secured by velcro, tape, zip-ties, or glue. :)

I will have to check the instruction manual for the range. I know that you have driven "Big" Willow and it works great from the far side on the main straight to the "yellow" wall hot pit area. Works just as good at Buttonwillow and Streets. Yes, you can use a tripod along the side of pit wall and it will definitely still record your lap time........It has worked for me on that track in that location in the past.

Mike

·
Scooby Newbie
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops, my bad. I did not entirely answer you question......Yes everything is included, even batteries. :)

So you can even use it on your street to check your lap times. :lol:

I still have not found an answer to the question regarding range. The owners manual was of no help, even the website did not offer any assistance. However, I did not contact anyone from AIM. Here's the site;

http://aim-sportline.com/

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I am soooo tempted right now.

I assume you also want a stock bezel in exchange?

·
Scooby Newbie
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^^^
Actually no, I don't need the stock bezel back in exchange. :tup:

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Rdrcr said:
^^^^^
Actually no, I don't need the stock bezel back in exchange. :tup:

Mike
Okay.

Is it easy enough to swap out the bezels? I would want to sawp the one with the Lap-Timer in only for track days.

And could you also go in to a little more detail how to run the unit off a 9-volt battery.

Thanks.

·
Scooby Newbie
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^^
You can easily swap the bezels for your track days. It does not take long and only requires a phillips-head screw driver.

The power wires that are meant to be hard-wired to a direct source from the vehicle have been adapted to a 9-volt lead. So all that is necessary to run a 9-volt battery, is to connect/snap on that lead and store it in the left side, lower storage/change compartment in the dash.

****Responded to PM's****

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Rdrcr said:
^^^^
You can easily swap the bezels for your track days. It does not take long and only requires a phillips-head screw driver.

The power wires that are meant to be hard-wired to a direct source from the vehicle have been adapted to a 9-volt lead. So all that is necessary to run a 9-volt battery, is to connect/snap on that lead and store it in the left side, lower storage/change compartment in the dash.

****Responded to PM's****

Mike
Oh, that's great! I am very interested. I will get back to you ASAP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.