IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bypass or Blowoff, any recommendations? My turbo XS one is taking a schit.

(posted in wrong forum, please move for me mods..sorry!~)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Forge, APS, HKS, or Tial

Tial is the only one that won't recirculate.
Normally people don't run the HKS recirculating, but you can get a recirc kit for it.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
oce420 said:
Bypass or Blowoff, any recommendations? My turbo XS one is taking a schit.
Unless you're tuned for it, use a BPV; otherwise, you go stupid rich between shifts or upon partial boost dumps.

What is your's doing?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I would hope since he has a GT30R he is tuned......

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had assumed he was tuned for the GT30R, but he didn't specify whether or not he was running a recirc, or VTA previously. As for tuning for VTA, according to my tuner it involves nothing more complex than a couple of tweaks to 2 fuel trim maps. With my recirc system, the tuner actually adjusted the throttle off fuel trim to be a tad rich just to assist with cooling.

Back to the question: what's going on with your valve?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Flycaster said:
I had assumed he was tuned for the GT30R, but he didn't specify whether or not he was running a recirc, or VTA previously. As for tuning for VTA, according to my tuner it involves nothing more complex than a couple of tweaks to 2 fuel trim maps. With my recirc system, the tuner actually adjusted the throttle off fuel trim to be a tad rich just to assist with cooling.

Back to the question: what's going on with your valve?
I just never knew a blow off valve could be "tuned" for on a MAF sensored vehicle, like the STi :confused:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I am protuned by harman motive for 100% atmospheric. The reason why its going bad is because I can move the blow off stem around in like its loose even though everything is tight. Harman says to stick with non recirc, so it seems like the HKS ftw. I just don't like the way it sounds now everyone has this bov... I'm looking for something with a super strong spring thats fairly quiet, and of course good quality///

·
Banned
875 Posts
You can't tune for VTA.

W/ a MAF based system, recirc is always prefered. However, sometimes that can be an ordeal. In my experience the HKS works the best w/ MAF based Subaru's as it doesn't leak and shuts quickly before idle... it's not that it fixes the VTA problem, it just minimizes it.

I would never recommend a Tial 50mm for a street car.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Harman Motive said:
You can't tune for VTA.

W/ a MAF based system, recirc is always prefered. However, sometimes that can be an ordeal. In my experience the HKS works the best w/ MAF based Subaru's as it doesn't leak and shuts quickly before idle... it's not that it fixes the VTA problem, it just minimizes it.

Regards,

Dan
When you say HKS, do you mean that by the SSQV?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Harman Motive said:
You can't tune for VTA.

Regards,

Dan
Just curious about why you wouldn't recommend the Tial for a street car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts