IW STi Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 STI
9 Posts
Hopefully HPT can use the iWIRE Wide Band properly. Fingers crossed.
I had to look up that product. Looks like iWire is just selling an AEM X Series Wideband kit with the plug and play harness to plug into the stock rear oxygen sensor harness. I bought the pigtails separately from Ballenger, but same principal - you're tapping into an existing 0-5v input to then "transform/scale" the data from voltage to display AFR, Lambda etc. They say they are working on this via mass updates to the Subaru tuning "suite". They're implying that we should be able to tap into/transform data from the left/right TGV connections plus the rear oxygen sensor connector (your kit).

I have an open support case with HPT, and almost two weeks ago they told me it would be 1 to 2 weeks until update completion.

·
Registered
2019 STI
9 Posts
any updates to this with HP Tuner?
I reached out to my contact via my support ticket email. I contacted him after a little over one week had passed, and once more after a couple weeks (from the end of the initial conversation). I heard back from him, and yesterday he told me that it was still in progress, and he noted that

"Hi Kevin,
Nothing as of yet, I'll reach out again and let you know what I hear later today."

I didn't hear back from him yesterday.

I plan to wait until late Thursday or Friday to contact him again.

·
Registered
2019 STI
9 Posts
Sounds familiar. :p

That said, I am now an authorized dealer, so I'll happily sell you some HPT hardware and credits. :D
If you get any kind of benefit from the sale, I still need to buy my credits. I'm waiting for them to iron out their issues first. I'm still optimistic though that they'll pull through. Since we got through the "can't pull your data because Cobb was on it before" debacle, and also since I've seen the Speed Density/VE stuff on that 2011 file that Jason sent me, I think we'll be good.

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on this, but I think it has to do with 2019 having a different "part number" ECU from the previous years. I'm kind of wondering if they "over-applied" their fitment claims (year, make, model), knowing it should work, but that they'd cross that bridge when someone contacted them. It does kind of disconcerting though because the custom features patch require a "write entire" when flashing as opposed to a standard "write." I wanted to wait until they have it all together so that my first "write" is a "write entire." Who knows.

Either way, I'm eager to be able to use the TGV inputs and rear O2 for my cool guy wideband and other 0-5v stuff, so the sooner that's turned on the better.

·
Registered
2019 STI
9 Posts
I'm looking into solutions for flex fuel in the post Cobb era. Does anyone have experience with the Flex Link Pro HP Tuner kit? what are the credits for?
Credits are the way you marry to the car. Unlike COBB, HP Tuners can be used on multiple vehicles. They use the credit system to keep you buying from them to license more vehicles.

The TGV inputs are 0-5v inputs which will allow you to do a flex fuel kit. Basically the flex fuel module/sensor outputs a 0 to 5 volt signal depending on the ethanol content, and the Flex Fuel Map (completely separate from the standard fueling/ignition timing/ cam timing etc map) allows you to adjust your timing and fuel etc based on the content. There's a "Blend Ratio" that basically interpolates between 0% ethanol and "85%" ethanol. We don't have ethanol around me, so I'm going to use the flex fuel mapping and the TGV input for an AquaMist system (outputs 0-5V).

That kit looks like a total rip-off. You don't need their flex link module. That's just for their App. You can get an OBD2 Plug-In, get the Torque Pro App, custom PID parameter for Ethanol Content on that Parameter ID and see Ethanol Content on your phone. What this requires is the GM/Continental Ethanol Content Sensor, a connector to go from the ethanol content sensor to the TGV pigtail, a 5/16" SAE Quick Disconnect (From Firewall) to a 6 AN push lock style fitting, some push lock hose, two 3/8" SAE to 6 AN Push Lock Fittings (to fit onto the E Sensor), more Push Lock Hose, then a final 5/16" Quick Disconnect (to the factory fuel line on the rail). Boom.

You could also use the rear wideband as well. Ballenger Motorsports will sell you a TGV connector/pigtail as well as the rear O2 connector/pigtail. That's what I did. I bought two TGV connectors, rear O2 connector etc. I can provide part numbers if you'd like. All the iWire stuff is overpriced, just like COBB. It's a premium price because they remove the need to do a little bit of research to find what you need.

Ballenger's part numbers for the 5 way TGV Pigtails (To go INTO the harness to the ECU) are CONN-85823 ($8.99 a piece). The pigtail to tap into the rear O2 receptacle (to go INTO the harness to the ECU) is part number CONN-85836. If you need to block off the connector on the rear O2 sensor (because it's still plugged into the pipe unless you remove it and cap that off) is connector part number CONN-100708 plus 4x CONN-100550.

Just looking again at Ballenger's site. It looks like the part number for the Continental sensor is SNSR-25032. The connecting pigtails and stuff are all spelled out for you on the site. I love the transparency of these guys. Here's the link

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
If you get any kind of benefit from the sale, I still need to buy my credits. I'm waiting for them to iron out their issues first. I'm still optimistic though that they'll pull through. Since we got through the "can't pull your data because Cobb was on it before" debacle, and also since I've seen the Speed Density/VE stuff on that 2011 file that Jason sent me, I think we'll be good.

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on this, but I think it has to do with 2019 having a different "part number" ECU from the previous years. I'm kind of wondering if they "over-applied" their fitment claims (year, make, model), knowing it should work, but that they'd cross that bridge when someone contacted them. It does kind of disconcerting though because the custom features patch require a "write entire" when flashing as opposed to a standard "write." I wanted to wait until they have it all together so that my first "write" is a "write entire." Who knows.

Either way, I'm eager to be able to use the TGV inputs and rear O2 for my cool guy wideband and other 0-5v stuff, so the sooner that's turned on the better.

I can understand waiting on them to fix their shit. It really isn't ready across the board. They are learning on the Subaru and Polaris, the differences between years. They had to create a datastream for the XPT RZR to data log abd they had no idea until I pointed it out. They've since added it, but there is more work to be done. They will have to hit every single year/type of ECU to make this work, which is something Cobb is exceptional at. I can also say as a dealer tuner among several platforms, Cobb has had the best service, by an astronomical long shot.

I will be doing an STi tune in HPT as soon as my RTD+ devices are done and I have them. This is a repeat customer, previously tuned on Cobb. I have given him a heads up of the potential pain. Currently, OS works better, but it has its caveat as well.

Just let me know when you need credits!

·
Registered
2019 STI
9 Posts
I can understand waiting on them to fix their shit. It really isn't ready across the board. They are learning on the Subaru and Polaris, the differences between years. They had to create a datastream for the XPT RZR to data log abd they had no idea until I pointed it out. They've since added it, but there is more work to be done. They will have to hit every single year/type of ECU to make this work, which is something Cobb is exceptional at. I can also say as a dealer tuner among several platforms, Cobb has had the best service, by an astronomical long shot.

I will be doing an STi tune in HPT as soon as my RTD+ devices are done and I have them. This is a repeat customer, previously tuned on Cobb. I have given him a heads up of the potential pain. Currently, OS works better, but it has its caveat as well.

Just let me know when you need credits!
I'll let you know on the credits deal. I'll need four, obviously.

If anything I said above regarding the flex stuff/wiring is wrong, feel free to correct me.

Help me out here - the RTD is for the remote tuning stuff, right? Customer puts down device deposit, you send it out, you tune/they reflash etc. Then they send the RTD back, deposit refunded, right?

OS as in Open Source? I downloaded romraider and considered tactrix. But it's a little tooo open source/not supported by people collecting a paycheck to support me, lol. Realistically I would have been fine, but having worked for five and a half years at a high performance company that sold and serviced its own in-house ECUs etc, there's something said about being able to pick up a phone and call someone.

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
Correct, the RTD+ is the Remote Tuning Device, however, the user buys the dongle, which is cheaper than the MPVI2. It allows for a tuner to send maps via an app and you use your phone to Bluetooth into the device abd flash the ECU. You also take logs with it... It's sorta like an AccessPort, but with your own phone.

Yes, OS = Open Source. I don't like using OS either.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts