IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered this kit Flexlink Pro for HP-Tuners for my STI. There is very little to no info on this kit online for our cars. My Tuner has had great results on other vehicles and looks like they finally offer a kit for our platform. I have my order coming in some time next week. Also since it is not a Cobb software that operates it, I am excited to see what results we get. Trying to go for 370whp on Ethanol my tuner said we can get more with my build but I want to keep it a little conservative. Also it is a set it and forget it system like Cobb. All you need is the kit, E85 Tune and away you go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds promising. Posting for updates.
There has been a lot of people that used HP Tuners and they said that they like the software more than Cobb. Plus the tune will only cost me $350+$500 for complete kit. That’s what Cobb charged just for their kit so they can go kick rocks. I am still gonna enjoy some E 😄

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I was looking at this. As I understand it, HPT is going through the same thing with emissions that Cobb is. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at this. As I understand it, HPT is going through the same thing with emissions that Cobb is. Buyer beware.
Where did you OFFICIALLY read this? I talked with their reps and asked this and they say is a lot of hear say from every company but from their end they have no plans on stopping support for their products. Check their FB they are proud to advertise as a replacement stepping in for Cobbs absence for our platform.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I read it on their forums. Just throwing a warning out there so you don't waste your money. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What's hp tuners word on this? Will their tuning software be able to block CELs and support flex fuel like Cobb used to? or are they adhering to the same epa standards that Cobb buckled to?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's hp tuners word on this? Will their tuning software be able to block CELs and support flex fuel like Cobb used to? or are they adhering to the same epa standards that Cobb buckled to?
Their rep did not verify they were buckling to the EPA as Cobb did. As of now they have no plans on bending the knee and stopping support for their products. Like I said is all hear say they have never officially put out anything relating to this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All tuning will be going the way Cobb has. If it defeats emissions, the tuning company and the tuner can be held liable. If they're not proactive, they'll likely get a visit from the overreach department.
While I certainly believe you are right, I think the bigger question is when? If HPT is still selling their kits and offering it as an alternative to Cobb I would hope that they plan on supporting for at least another year, if not longer. And if they are going to drop support then I would hope they would have the decency to stop selling the kits well ahead of that date so as to not stick people with a nice expensive paper weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
Cobb dropped their stuff with basically no notice... And that counts us ProTuners. Once the fines start coming, shit changes quickly.

Here is what I do... Keep it emissions compliant. If/when a CANbus option for sensors are an option, that'll fix the FlexFuel, and likely add a bit lore than we previously had.

If it's a track car and you need to do absolutely anything and everything, stand alone is really the way to go.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
I don't turn off emission related items, regardless of what platform is used. People got mad with Cobb, and jumped ship... Even though their changes didn't affect them. I fully expect these changes to be across the board and don't have an issue with them, so long as we are able to meet requirements with better aftermarket.

My main reason for getting HPT was for Polaris and Ford, as I have a Ford Ranger on order.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I believe you are above board with your tuning business. You have been a proponent of the federal emissions standards. This was so everyone can see the impact of the EPA on businesses selling emissions tampering products. The penalties can be substantive and substantial.

Reactions: yamahaSHO

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Here is a glimpse into what is happening to companies that offer ECM modification software. They will get to HPTuners sooner or later...

So my takeaway from that article is that he made $10M, and only got fined $3M, plus a year jail-time??..

Doesn't sound half-bad to me :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: 405HP_Z06

·
Registered
2019 STI
9 Posts
Anyone with HP Tuners that was previously on Cobb mind sending me an OEM HPT-read map (ideally, unmarry the AP, then read the OEM map and send to me)? I had an issue brought to my attention with a phone call today, that I would like to test to provide to HPT customer support.
For anyone following this, I managed to get a read of an "Info-Log" via my HPTuners MPVI2+ of my post-COBB AP3 tuned car. HPTuners MPVI2+ was able to pull the stock tune. However, the custom features, like the Speed Density modification, Flat-Foot Shifting and Launch Control, will not apply. Flex Fuel does apply and come up in the VCM Editor Software.

I am working with an HPTuners Customer Service Rep, and last night I received word that the HPTuners Engineering Department is working to sort out the application of these custom features on the 2019 STI. The rep gave me a timeline of 1 to 2 weeks, so we'll see how it works out. I'll try to remember to post the date when I am able to finally access these tables.

I'm trying to stay optimistic through this process, but it's good news that I was actually able to both read the stock tune and pull the OBD2 VCM Suite Info-Log that the rep requested. Initially I couldn't pull the log, which prompted the rep to suggest I may need a dealer flash back to stock. Jason agreed with me that this didn't sound correct at all. Could have been how I was performing the process, but I was able to get the representative the information he requested.

Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts