IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying an '07 WRX STI (my dream car) and I'm pretty new to the GD platform so I'd like some opinions on whether it's going to be a money pit or not.

Here's what the seller has told me:
190k on the chassis, fully rebuilt engine and trans have about 80k on them.
Apart from coilovers, the seller is running a BOV, wastegate, CAI, on a Cobb Access port tune. Says the car runs well and will last a while, but I've done my research and I know I'm a little skeptical about about the tune; I've read that if it's not tuned correctly it can be a bad deal for the engine (like most aftermarket mods).
I'd like to get a good inspection done for it, but does anyone have any other suggestions on what to keep an eye out for when I go look at it?

Just looking at getting my dream car for a fun daily/autocross experience. I'd appreciate any feedback!

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
I'm looking at buying an '07 WRX STI (my dream car) and I'm pretty new to the GD platform so I'd like some opinions on whether it's going to be a money pit or not.

FYI: I 1/2 time DD a built 05 w over 260K on it. It can be done. But you absolutely should be expect any old car to be a money pit.

Very very odd to have a rebuilt trans in an STI. thought I was the only one :) - but mine was done at app 230K? It functioned perfectly though. Rebuilt because it made clanging noises when very very hot at idle. Scared me to think what might happen if it were to lock up on the highway. Anyway I spent $3K on that alone (There's a thread here on it) - and I pulled and replaced it. Anyway odd.

Apart from coilovers, the seller is running a BOV, wastegate, CAI, on a Cobb Access port tune. Says the car runs well and will last a while, but I've done my research and I know I'm a little skeptical about about the tune; I've read that if it's not tuned correctly it can be a bad deal for the engine (like most aftermarket mods).
I'd like to get a good inspection done for it, but does anyone have any other suggestions on what to keep an eye out for when I go look at it?
Coil overs - depends what they are. Many out there are not worth having - IE stock was better.

BOV: not a good sign. Search.

Block - what was it rebuilt with? An 80K block with 2618 pistons is already at end of life. Absolutely have compression and leak-down done in that inspection!!!

Nothing really wrong with OTS tune. Could it be better? Sure. The real issue is what was run with it. For instance Cobb does not offer one for use with a BOV.

Just looking at getting my dream car for a fun daily/autocross experience. I'd appreciate any feedback!
That could justify owning a GD (They are all old.) :) :) :) especially if you will do most of the work. I've come to the sad conclusion that GDs are special, worth some cost and effort . Not everyone will agree - but the market for them sure seems to. Anyway at nearing 80K on this build with 2618 pistons, it almost time for another. The idea of doing this kind of pushed me to own a spare car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI: I 1/2 time DD a built 05 w over 260K on it. It can be done. But you absolutely should be expect any old car to be a money pit.

Very very odd to have a rebuilt trans in an STI. thought I was the only one :) - but mine was done at app 230K? It functioned perfectly though. Rebuilt because it made clanging noises when very very hot at idle. Scared me to think what might happen if it were to lock up on the highway. Anyway I spent $3K on that alone (There's a thread here on it) - and I pulled and replaced it. Anyway odd.

Coil overs - depends what they are. Many out there are not worth having - IE stock was better.

BOV: not a good sign. Search.

Block - what was it rebuilt with? An 80K block with 2618 pistons is already at end of life. Absolutely have compression and leak-down done in that inspection!!!

Nothing really wrong with OTS tune. Could it be better? Sure. The real issue is what was run with it. For instance Cobb does not offer one for use with a BOV.

That could justify owning a GD (They are all old.) :) :) :) especially if you will do most of the work. I've come to the sad conclusion that GDs are special, worth some cost and effort . Not everyone will agree - but the market for them sure seems to. Anyway at nearing 80K on this build with 2618 pistons, it almost time for another. The idea of doing this kind of pushed me to own a spare car.
Thanks for the advice! I was a little skeptical about the trans being mentioned in the rebuild as I've heard they are pretty bulletproof on these cars until you start making higher power.
I was actually looking to get rid of the BOV and returning it to a stock state (don't think it would even be a good idea to run in the first place with only a Cobb tune).
Given the situation with the engine rebuild and (probably inappropriate) tune, what am I looking at for a rebuild in the near future? (haven't looked into costs for that yet). I know 4032 pistons would be a better option for a DD with a few track days, but I haven't really found much info on the longevity of them. What should I expect for a rebuild cost or longevity with these?

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I was a little skeptical about the trans being mentioned in the rebuild as I've heard they are pretty bulletproof on these cars until you start making higher power.
Not higher power - extreme power - but you can break anything if you try hard enough . . . ?

what am I looking at for a rebuild in the near future? (haven't looked into costs for that yet). I know 4032 pistons would be a better option for a DD with a few track days, but I haven't really found much info on the longevity of them. What should I expect for a rebuild cost or longevity with these?
This is such an open question - and you don't know that you need to rebuild soon. Compression and leak down will is a good indicator.

Cost on a rebuild is not a fixed value. It depends on condition, your goals, and how you approach them. Stock turbo? Stay with a new stock short block. Perhaps even for a 20G or 1.5XTR. This is the lowest cost option, and it is a good one!!! Bigger than them you should want a built block. I spent well over $10K in parts to completely rebuild and fully support a 1.5XTR. But that was before OEM pistons had been improved. I may replace the my aging SB with a stock one . . .

Reactions: Scargo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my list from reading multiple posts. There's a good one on NASIOC. There are other good write ups on general checklists for buying a used car. This list is specific to the GD Subaru.

• Get a compression test on the engine and lead down test. The hypereutectic pistons can suffer damaged ringlands and these tests will give you an indication of their condition
  • Inspect the rear differential for any leaks
  • Check the head gasket for leaks
  • Check the rear struts as they can suffer stiction as the damper rod seals dry out and loose lubrication
  • Check the other suspension components and ask the seller if/when they have been replaced or serviced
  • Inspect the rear wheel arches for rust and corrosion. There is usually a little black strip on the wheel arches that should be removed as they lock in moisture and speed up the corrosion process.
  • Check for corrosion around the front radiator support panels, the front C-subframes
  • Check the Intercooler fluid level. Should be no more than half-full for cold weather
  • Check transmission fluid level, which is also an indication of the level in your center diff for a manual car. The manual transmission dipstick sits beneath the intercooler on the passenger side.
  • When was the gearbox oil was changed?
  • Check for any other leaks, cracked pipes or general wear and tear in the engine bay
  • Is there blue/grey smoke, especially when accelerating? This could indicate a cracked turbo housing or seal failure
  • A whining sound may be indicative of a turbocharger that has lost its balance or suffered damage to the compressor wheel. If the car feels slower than it should do or there are any unusual delays in power delivery, it could be a sign that the turbocharger needs repairs or maintenance
  • Check to see if there are any warning lights on the dash and operate all the dials and switches to make sure there are no faults.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts

mheyman is usually right on. Listen to him. I own two '07's! One is a DD and the other may replace my '08 track car.
You don't mention price. I would not put much value at all in the engine in the car. Yes, it will be a money pit. Is it worth it? From having owned many fun cars, over sixty years, my years racing cars, and a new 2011 STI and my 2008 STi (which became my race car) I wished I had of focused on a 2007. I drove a 2006 STI track car at WGI, so I had it to compare to my '08 at WGI. I drove my '07 DD at WGI for almost three days and was tickled to death with how it drove.
If it's a solid car, just buy it and don't look back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts