IW STi Forum banner

Buying used 11' STi but found strange button?

2446 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  seancusmc
First off like to say hello, name is Tommy 28 in Silverdale, WA. Currently in the NAVY at the Bangor base and own a 2010 Nissan 370Z and 2005 Dodge SRT4. Decided that it is time to go AWD and have been really looking into used STi's. I found a 2011 STi Black hatch that I really like but found a button underneathe the steering wheel that the dealership nor I could figure out. Didn't seem to control any of the lights but am afraid it might be something for tuning side of things. Please help me if you can and would be much appreciated. They first wanted 36,999 for this car which is a 2011 STi hatch premium with 22000 miles which got them to 34,999 because that is what has been advertised on Autotrader and talked them down to 32,500. Still wasn't satisfied because I believe it is still too much and when I got home found out it was. Edmunds priced it a little over 30,000. Didn't want to pull the trigger just yet because of this annoying button! Please help, thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
i've never seen anything like that before - it could be a mute button for a radar detector. is it just the green button? is there another button on the top side?
You could try and see where they go
I traced the wires and couldnt find where they went with just looking under the dash. :mad:
Does the car have an aftermarket alarm? I had an aftermarket Viper alarm that came with a switch to disable it, but the switch is usually hidden.
Reactions: 1
Passenger seat ejection button...for the nagging woman next to you :lol:

I imagine you test drove it...did you push the button while driving? Did it do anything?
I'd look for more handywork like that.
That's the shitties mounting I've ever seen. Who does that?
I have a feeling you'll find more odd surprises around.
It's an immobilizer unit. I have one on my '07. I found it the day I got my car and searched the numbers on the back side of the button. I found another person on Tundra forums had the same device. If you follow the wires it goes to a small black box (mine was attached to the steering column by the pedals) and if you unplug the box, the car won't start. I also thought it was something for tuning, but it's not. If you press the button, nothing happens lol. It was mounted like shit in my car too.

Here is the link to the thread I posted my NASIOC.
Just bought this Sti, what is this?? - NASIOC
Hope this helps!!
It's an immobilizer unit. I have one on my '07. I found it the day I got my car and searched the numbers on the back side of the button. I found another person on Tundra forums had the same device. If you follow the wires it goes to a small black box (mine was attached to the steering column by the pedals) and if you unplug the box, the car won't start. I also thought it was something for tuning, but it's not. If you press the button, nothing happens lol. It was mounted like shit in my car too.

Here is the link to the thread I posted my NASIOC.
Just bought this Sti, what is this?? - NASIOC
Hope this helps!!
That looks similar to the craptacular Karr (rebranded Audiovox) alarm systems that are floating around in many Toyotas and Hondas... Still. My 94 Camry had one, my 99 Accord that I bought 6 months ago has one.
That looks similar to the craptacular Karr (rebranded Audiovox) alarm systems that are floating around in many Toyotas and Hondas... Still. My 94 Camry had one, my 99 Accord that I bought 6 months ago has one.
Oh good call! That's exactly what I have, but I didn't get the fob for it when I got my car. I'm not sure if it even turns on when I use the stock alarm.
I looked at your thread about the strange button and it looks exactly like it! Exactly how does this work and how do I remove it? It looks so shitty. The arm rest doesn't snap down either which the dealer said they fix. Wonder what else is wrong and if I should get this car
For that price, I would buy it new.....hit up Clint from Heuberger Mortors.
just my 2 cents....
nope...i had one too. Its the optional "factory alarm option".

If you follow the wires it will lead to the adjustable shock sensor. If you didnt purchase it, they plug that little chip in that makes it not work. So if you pay the dealer to install a shock sensor, they would just plug in a chip that works and thats that. I removed mine since it doesn't work
For that price, I would buy it new.....hit up Clint from Heuberger Mortors.
just my 2 cents....
Agreed. I bought my 2011 STI with a bit less mileage on it and in VERY good condition, for $32,500 here in Canada, you should be paying less down in the US. I would also look at buying new for the price (heuberger motors is a great suggestion as well)
I'd look for more handywork like that.
That's the shitties mounting I've ever seen. Who does that?
I have a feeling you'll find more odd surprises around.
Agreed...make sure you're ridiculously thorough with your inspection. I see other splicing/taps in the pic, next to the dash frame.
The strange thing is that our cars come with an EIS (electronic immobilization system). So why the F is that thing mounted right out in the open? And what is the point? Can you unplug it when you park your car so you don't have to worry about theft?

I don't know much about EIS's but I do know that it is one of the requirements for importing a vehicle from the US to Canada which I successfully did, so my car must have one.
Oh good call! That's exactly what I have, but I didn't get the fob for it when I got my car. I'm not sure if it even turns on when I use the stock alarm.
If you didn't pay for it, it shouldn't do jack.

Agreed...make sure you're ridiculously thorough with your inspection. I see other splicing/taps in the pic, next to the dash frame.
+1

nope...i had one too. Its the optional "factory alarm option".

If you follow the wires it will lead to the adjustable shock sensor. If you didnt purchase it, they plug that little chip in that makes it not work. So if you pay the dealer to install a shock sensor, they would just plug in a chip that works and thats that. I removed mine since it doesn't work
These seem to be the most pathetically-installed car alarms I've ever seen. They really DGAF about how quality the installations are.
I just bought my 2010 STi black wagon with 40,000 miles for $27K. They are asking too much money IMO. Try to talk them down to around what I paid. If you are going to pay $32K for a used car with $22,000 miles and a button that no one is sure what its there for, you might as well pay $35K for a brand new car with piece of mind that there's nothing fishy going on.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.