IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on going and looking at a 2007 STI tomorrow. Will be my first one if it turns out to be the right one. Car has 136,000 miles on the clock. Only mods are a CAI, straight-pipe and coilovers. I plan on running a car fax and have a compression/leak down test run on it. Body and paint of the car is very clean which is a rare sight up here in Ohio. Asking price is $14,000, I plan on trying to talk him down a little bit.Going to ask if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced since I know that those are usually the things that will go first around this mileage. I've been reading a ton of forums posts these last couple of days about what I should look out for but most of these posts are several years old and the prices in the posts may be out dated for all I know. Car won't be a daily driver, more of a car to drive on the weekends and nice days. Just for reassurance is there anything that I should be looking out for while I'm out there? Have never replaced a timing belt or water pump on a Subaru but I'm willing to learn on this car since it won't be a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Timing belt and WP and idlers should have been done long ago, and in fact 136K is nearing a 2nd change. That's a non issue as far as I am concerned. No one should be buying a 10+ year old car and not expect too put a lot more into it than that. Seriously. OK mine was "OK" till past 175K. That's a bit over a year of commuting for me. I could have pushed another 16K to 200K, instead I built it at 184K. Previously I had a WRX that was "economical" to 200K

What will you do with it? What do you expect from it? Sounds like the going price. Perhaps a bit high. Hard for me to judge. I paid 15K for an 05 with 94K on it in 2012. GDs are in demand . . .

We tell everyone buying a used Turbo Subie to do compression and leakdown. Thats not going to help with bearing wear. The rest, trans body, etc., you have to judge - and make a choice. I would not assume any maintenance you can not seen has been done. IE you can see and measure tires, pads, and rotors. You can not see the clutch or timing belt. Without very official records, you can only assume they need to be done - and if purchased do the timing belt right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing belt and WP and idlers shout have been done long ago, and in fact 136K is nearing a 2nd change. That's a non issue as far as I am concerned. No one should be buying a 10+ year old car and not expect too put a lot more into it than that. Seriously. OK mine was "OK" till past 175K. That a bit over a year of commuting for me. I could have pushed it to 200K, but instead I built it at 184K. Previously I had a WRX that was "economical" to 200K

What will you do with it? What do you expect from it? Sound like to going price. Perhaps a bit high. Hard for me to understand. I paid 15K for an 05 with 94K on it in 2012. GDs are in demand . . .
I expect the car to have problems due to it's age. Going to be parked in the garage and driven on nice days unless my daily decides to explode its self again. I can do most maintenance myself as long as it doesn't require pulling the engine. I plan on teaching myself to work on StI's with this car. I really just want the car to be able to be driven two or three times a week at the most without costing costing me $2000 every time I take it out of the garage. What would be a reasonable asking price for the car in it's current condition? Keep in mind clean bodies in Ohio seem to cost a nice premium.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Not going to comment on price though it does not seem GD prices are going down. What you will pay depends on how much and how fast you want one, location, and whether you are willing to travel to get it - and I would highly recommend traveling to a place with no winter if that's what it takes.

If it has not been abused it's not going to die. Despite issues, mine has never died on the road. I think my WRX was towed once in its 227K life when a heater hose went, and it was old enough for me to have replaced it prophetically as maintenance. If you use cheap parts it won't cost that much if you do the work. Nice performance parts, or stock parts might.

Engine maint: you just get used to removing intercooler or left or right engine bay parts to do maintenance. Not a big deal after you've gotten used to the idea :). Clutch is on undertaking if you have to do it on the ground . . . All in all though, there is nothing you can't do if your are mechanically inclined and driven to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts