IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what it sounds like most of you have your own AP's and do your own flashes...is this nessasry though? Cant I just go to a tuner and tell him to flash me to whatever map i want? Is it more cost effective to buy your own AP....how much does a tuner charget per map flash? Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Imo it is a lot more cost effective to buy the ap. You pay the $700 or so and you have the ability to switch maps when ever you want. And if you ever go back to stock you can sell it and pretty much make your money back.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
If the tuner has Ecutek software then yes you can get just a flash. Ecutek is tuning software that reflashes your ecu, all you have to do is pay a licensing fee of around $800. Its more cost effective to get a Cobb Access Port for around $645 and just upgrade in stages. Then eventually you can get a protune by a tuner for your particular mods. Protune software gives a professional tuner the ability to make custom maps for your car using Cobb software. These maps can then be stored into your access port so you can just switch them as you need to. You can have your tuner make you multiple maps. For example: you can have a daily driving map for 91 / 93 octane, and then one for race gas for track days. Then all you have to do is switch the map depending on the gas you are running in your car.

If you are at all interested in tuning the car yourself, you can always get Cobb street tuner software. This will give you the ability to access some of the engine tuning parameters so that you can tune yourself. Obvisouly you will need to have quite a bit of knowledge of how to tune in the first place so you don't blow up your car's engine.

The nice thing about the cobb AP is that it gives you some other features like reading live boost, and pulling CEL codes. These are some of the reasons why a lot of people get the Cobb Access Port.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.