IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rattle on the back seat belts

I was driving along today in 4th gear and i totally have my foot off the clutch. All of a sudden i get that burnt clutch smell...i'm kinda worried now cause i'm not sure where its comming from. i've not had it since but i'm still concerned of where it came from. Have any of you experience this?

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gear Oil Smell?

I remember when I first got my STi, I'd park it inside and smelled something like burnt gear oil. Somewhere on this site or NASIOC this smell has been discussed. The smell is gone but I'm sure someone here can shed light on it. How many miles have you got SubaruBen?

TerraJumper :)

PS. Make sure it's not burnt plastic bags on your struts! :eek:

·
Registered
432 Posts
It could be as simple as maybe there was a car in front of you a little ways that had a bad clutch or was just learning how to drive stick?
Just a thought.

Ive been behind cars and been able to smell there clutch knowing it wasnt me, and it either goes away, or if they turn down a road it goes away.

·
Registered
647 Posts
TerraJumper said:
Gear Oil Smell?

I remember when I first got my STi, I'd park it inside and smelled something like burnt gear oil. Somewhere on this site or NASIOC this smell has been discussed. The smell is gone but I'm sure someone here can shed light on it. How many miles have you got SubaruBen?

TerraJumper :)

PS. Make sure it's not burnt plastic bags on your struts! :eek:
Yeah...I noticed the bags weren't off mine when it was raining heavy and I got an odd noise...pulled over, in the rain, found the bags filled with water and hanging on the tires. Had to get out my knife and cut the @#$% bags off right there then find some way to dry off and clean up to get back in the car and not totally screw it over...

Sorry for the rant.

RN

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
SubaruBen said:
I was driving along today in 4th gear and i totally have my foot off the clutch. All of a sudden i get that burnt clutch smell...i'm kinda worried now cause i'm not sure where its comming from. i've not had it since but i'm still concerned of where it came from. Have any of you experience this?

Thanks

Ben
holy crap... does it kinda smell like burnt oil or something? I'd randomly smell something of the same degree, with my foot all the way off the clutch and mainly under WOT, but it does vary.

Robert~

also I use MOBIL 1 super syn 10w-30 and i've not lost a drop in my engine for 2300 miles now.

also again, do you have any mods done to your car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have read on some other posts that people are getting the same smell. I would not be too concerned. It is probably just part of the breaking-in process for the car. I have the same smell with only 2000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys thanks for the replies. yah i don't have any mods on the car yet and i did check for the plastic bags but there is none. as for the mileage i got around 2200km on it....i thought the break in process was over cause i did get that burnt smell for the first 1000km then it went away. could some of the coating still be residual and at that time it just happend to burn off? anyways still clueless but have not smelled anything since.

ben

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
sti close opponent...

kebs said:
I have read on some other posts that people are getting the same smell. I would not be too concerned. It is probably just part of the breaking-in process for the car. I have the same smell with only 2000 miles on the car.
also I have 5900 miles, I was just saying since I swapped to synthetic I hadnt lost any oil for the last 2900 milse or so. Ya I guess its nothing to be worried about though.

Robert~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts