IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a regular day I drive about 30-40 miles to and from work, my sti still sadly is a daily, following last night home (around 2:40am) I noticed a burning clutch smell (71k miles bought it at 60k miles). It is a 2018 Sti stock. Anyways following back with the story I decided to let it sit for about 20 minutes when I noticed the smell getting out of first gear, since it’s a daily it’s maintained properly and regular everything that needs to make the car last. After letting it sit for 20 minutes I started the car up and clutch smell again. I went about my way home no grinding, no slipping, not having issues getting it into gear. Let it sit over night woke up for work and started the car SAME THING CLUTCH SMELL. Drive it to work again everything is fine nothing damaged transmission wise just the smell. Go out on my first break to move the car, yet again as you guess clutch smell. What are some thoughts on this subject it’s ONLY WHEN I START THE CAR!! Please help lol.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
852 Posts
I mean, just a shot in the dark; if the smell is present even when the car isn't moving, it's possible something is against the exhaust/headers/turbo that's melting.

It's a bitch on these cars to do but you could try pulling the intercooler and scanning all around the exhaust and engine bay to see if you can find anything.
Under the car, pull the engine cover and check the headers and such.

Otherwise a shop can do it too, but DIY is free if you have the resources.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, just a shot in the dark; if the smell is present even when the car isn't moving, it's possible something is against the exhaust/headers/turbo that's melting.

It's a bitch on these cars to do but you could try pulling the intercooler and scanning all around the exhaust and engine bay to see if you can find anything.
Under the car, pull the engine cover and check the headers and such.

Otherwise a shop can do it too, but DIY is free if you have the resources.
DIY will probably be the move, one I learn more and two I get experience. But it’s mainly only when I turn the vehicle on it’s just a weird situation because I drove my first one up to 50k miles from 54 solid miles and this one not even 10k later and get that god awful smell lol

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You sure its clutch smell? Burnt plastic and burnt clutch have 2 very distinctive smells and both are very different from each other in my opinion. Like Austin suggested, it could be something burning on the exhaust. I would first try looking under the car and seeing if there is anything burnt on the exhaust system, downpipe, and header. It may be a good idea to jack the car up for this and get yourself a flash llight to really get a good look around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts