IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
From WRC. com:
"Richard Burns will not take part in the 2004 World Rally Championship, after tests have revealed that the Englishman is suffering from an Astrocytoma, a form of brain tumour. Doctors have advised Richard that he would be wise to sit out the season in order to fully recover from the illness that befell him in the run up to Wales Rally GB. Burns fainted at the wheel of his road car and was advised by doctors to miss the event while it was established what was wrong. Richard will undergo a course of radiotherapy treatment which the doctors are confident will prove successful.

"I would really like to thank everyone for their continued support - it means a lot to me," Burns said. "My fans, the Peugeot WRC team and also everyone at Prodrive and Subaru have all been tremendous. The doctors have advised that I am unable to get back in a rally car for the 2004 FIA WRC Championship and I have to accept that. I'm obviously extremely disappointed but I am feeling very positive and I am determined to focus all of my efforts on getting back to full fitness as soon as I can."

David Lapworth, Subaru Team Principal, said, "We are very concerned at this news about Richard. There will always be future rallies and future championships, but for now Richard needs to put his own health first."

"Richard will always be welcome at Subaru and we hope that he may again, when fully recovered, work with us once more. The team has offered to do what it can to help Richard back to health and return as one of the leading drivers in the WRC".

It is not yet clear who might replace Burns in the Subaru line-up as team mate to World Champion Petter Solberg is hotting up. Lapworth has made it clear, however, that appropriate decisions will be made soon.

"We were excited about the prospect of the Burns and Solberg line-up at Subaru next season," he said, "and until recently were optimistic that he would recover in time for the first rally. We have not yet had much time to consider all the alternative driver options for next year, but we hope to make an announcement in the coming weeks."

One of the favourites for the drive is 1995 World Champion and former Subaru driver Colin McRae. The Scot has temporarily called time on his WRC career after losing his Citroen drive due to regulation changes for 2004. One possibility that has already been ruled out is Tommi Makinen postponing his retirement to remain with Subaru. His management team have confirmed that the four-time world champion will retire as planned, despite the news of Burns' illness.

wrc.com wishes Richard a speedy recovery and a return to the winning ways that landed him and co-driver Robert Reid the 2001 World Title. "

I wonder who Subaru will put in car #2 now :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just saw that as well. What a pity. I hope he recovers.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
im sure he will be ok! but maybe this happened to keep colin out of those damn nascars! :p

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Re: STi screensaver, anyone know where I can find again?

I hope Richard is going to be OK. Colin come on in, we need you now!!

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
fords pulling out? why? do you know?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i saw on dave dispain about richard having the tumour, they spoke of mcrae driving for subaru being the rumor, but they said mcrae has signed to drive in the 4x4 rallying (like the paris dakar style) and althou the seasons wont overlap each other there will be pretty much no time for testing with mcrae in the subaru... interesting... will it happen if the reported news is true?

·
Registered
273 Posts
eatV8 said:
i saw on dave dispain about richard having the tumour, they spoke of mcrae driving for subaru being the rumor, but they said mcrae has signed to drive in the 4x4 rallying (like the paris dakar style) and althou the seasons wont overlap each other there will be pretty much no time for testing with mcrae in the subaru... interesting... will it happen if the reported news is true?
McCrae is signed up with Nissan to drive on their Paris-Dakkar team (his teammate is Ari Vatanen :) ). As far as him driving for Subaru, I think chances are pretty slim (at least from the timing perspective). Paris-Dakkar starts on Jan 1st and lasts about 3 weeks. The 1st WRC rally (Monte Carlo) starts on the 20 or 21st of Jan, so he is cutting it real close. Not to mention, how exhausting Paris-Dakkar is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going BACK to Stock Exhaust! Got lucky w/ warning!

You must mean McRae wojo :wink:

Paris-Dakar runs form the 1st to the 18th of January (over 6500 miles!). Monte Carlo recce starts on Monday 19th (Monte Carlo and Sweden aren't using the Mille-Piste system, which starts in México).

He'll be co-driven by Tina Thorner, who co-drove for Kennth Eriksson a few years back in the Octavia.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ford is going to stay in for 2004. That eliminates Martin. I think That McRae is going to come back, but theres still the nightmare that they might pick up Harri Rovanperra.

As you can tell, I dont think Rovanperra would do very well in a Subaru.

Bring on McCrash!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts