IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after i back in my car to the garage from semi hard drives around the town i smell something burning from the car, i think it's burning rubber smell but not totally sure. Is it normal to smell burning smells after you run your car pretty hard even on streets? I don't think it's clutch since i don't ride my clutch(hopefully im not lol)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Other than the VERY few times I've burned the clutch, I've never had any burning smell after a hard drive.

·
Registered
263 Posts
usually burning rubber or brakes are pretty easy to disntinguish. burnt clutch kinda smells like a burning corpse. usually you only smell the rubber/brakes right after you floor it or brake hard, burnt clutch usually comes on after you park the car from backing up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talon said:
usually burning rubber or brakes are pretty easy to disntinguish. burnt clutch kinda smells like a burning corpse. usually you only smell the rubber/brakes right after you floor it or brake hard, burnt clutch usually comes on after you park the car from backing up.
... and how do you know what a burnt corpse smells like? :lol:

I died when I read that!

·
Registered
451 Posts
i had aserious burnign like smell for hte first 4,000 miles. it was kind of clutch but i think it was brakes. it would be worst when slowing down on the highway.

but if you have less than 1000 miles it could be that coating they put on the exhuast parts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Check your undies after a hard drive?:naughty:

Poss backing your tailpipe into your "velvet Elvis" tapestry hanging off your wall?:eek:

Most likely you are getting things hotter than before and burning off more assembly grease or cosmoline etc.

Any mods such as DP? You may be burning your AC drain hose on the pipe or something else when subjected to lots of G loads. Check all exhaust clearance and brake area clearances.

Clutch and brakes have a distinct smell so you would prob recognize that if that was the case.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sti-lysh said:
is there a downpipe on the car? if so check to see if the A/C drain hose is touching the downpipe. That hose is rubber-like so this may be the smell your getting
so thats the hose? i was looking at another cars' downpipe and thought wow thats awefully close to the exhaust. no one has problems with that hose melting??

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks. the car's totally stock and it has around 12000 miles on it. I only smell when i come home from semi hard drives around town.. weird. If I did burned my clutch, I should be able to smell it inside the cabin right? I can only smell it when im outside the car

1 - 20 of 31 Posts