IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I just installed Pinks/FSB/PDE Camber plates. I knew that I needed to cut the bumpstops, but when the dust cover was removed, there weren't any (As I'm finding out now, they aren't there). Not having the internet to research bumpstops, we assumed they weren't there!? So now I'm stuck with pinks with untrimmed bumpstops. Some say that with pinks you don't need them, some say you do need to. Do I really need to waste all that time to redo the setup? Does Subaru (Japan) tell the buyers of the JDM Pinks to cut them? I'm a little upset considering all that time we spent... :mad:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
twiSTies said:
You would want to cut one of the front bumpstops off with the pinks, but at this point its up to you since to redo the entire install and alignment is a bit of a pita.
OMFG! I am such an anal retentive person! If I don't cut the bump stops, I will forever be bothered by it... So looks like tomorrow I will try to find time to do it. I really hope this is not one of those forum fads where it spreads like the wild fire. :lol: I guess we'll see!

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
STEye said:
If I don't cut the bump stops, I will forever be bothered by it... So looks like tomorrow I will try to find time to do it.
If you are going to take the time to do the work, why not look at selling the PDEs and getting RCE plates instead? Just a thought since you aren't happy with the drop... http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60219

When I had pinks on my '05 (no plates) the rear dropped a bit more than the front - I can't imagine it with the PDE plates adding to the front ride height. (note that I actually have the PDEs and am happy with them, but with Prodrive springs.)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With your setup, PDE Plates + Prodrive springs, what does your drop look like? Is it somewhat even? To be honest with you, I would rather get new springs than new plates, as I really dig the adjustment on it. From what I've read and felt, the pinks ride close to stock. How do the prodrives feel? IIRC, the prodrives are a little rougher than pinks?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and I cut the bumpstops today.... lets see if I can notice a difference!?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
austinpike said:
If you are going to take the time to do the work, why not look at selling the PDEs and getting RCE plates instead?
Well one of the concerns of mine is not having caster adjustment. The PDEs allow it with the alternate bolt position. As far as I know, the RCEs are camber only?

How important is caster anyways? I am looking for the daily driver/autocrosser setup.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick, I guess waiting for the new "neutral" RCE plates would go well with Pinks. What do you think of me ditching the pinks for Prodrives, that will allow the PDE's to offset the lower front drop of the Prodrives?

I know you swear by Pinks... But aren't Prodrives similar in ride?

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
STEye said:
With your setup, PDE Plates + Prodrive springs, what does your drop look like? Is it somewhat even? ...How do the prodrives feel? IIRC, the prodrives are a little rougher than pinks?
It basically looks stock. The Prodrives barely drop at all. (note that these are '05 specific, which drop less than the '04 version.)

Pinks on my '05 dropped 1/2" in front and 3/4" in the rear. Prodrives (no camber plates) brought it down 1/4" in front and basically zero in the rear. I have not actually measured since putting on the Prodrives w/ PDEs; to my eye it looks a touch lower in the front, but really it should be almost nothing based on what I measured previously.

Since the Prodrives ultimately drop less, you should have more bump travel all around.

For my comments on the ride quality of Prodrives vs Pinks, see this thread. Basically the Prodrives are a little smoother.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39589

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
austinpike said:
It basically looks stock. The Prodrives barely drop at all. (note that these are '05 specific, which drop less than the '04 version.)

Pinks on my '05 dropped 1/2" in front and 3/4" in the rear. Prodrives (no camber plates) brought it down 1/4" in front and basically zero in the rear. I have not actually measured since putting on the Prodrives w/ PDEs; to my eye it looks a touch lower in the front, but really it should be almost nothing based on what I measured previously.

Since the Prodrives ultimately drop less, you should have more bump travel all around.

For my comments on the ride quality of Prodrives vs Pinks, see this thread. Basically the Prodrives are a little smoother.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39589
So, you're saying the '05 Prodrives are less drop than the Pinks? I always thought it was the reverse. If I were to switch to Prodrives and use my PDE plates, I would have a even a higher gap in the front, and an equally high rear?

I hope I'm not installing these suckers wrong, my wheel gap in the front is equal to a vertical fist size... and the rear is about 2/5's that... :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
STEye said:
So, you're saying the '05 Prodrives are less drop than the Pinks?
Yep. There is a chart around here listing the drops of various springs, but it doesn't specifically list the '05 Prodrives, and the drop I obverserved with Pinks is not what it shows. (13mm F and 19mm R, vs 10/10 on the chart.) Some have reported closer to 10/10, but then I have seen others comment on the saggy-butt look, so who knows...

As for the Prodrives, I think if you do more searching you'll see that most people note them barely dropping at all. Not what you want if you are looking for a visible drop. The new RCE springs might be a good option if you want to keep the PDE plates. Supposed to be 23mm F and 20mm rear. The PDE plates would bring it back to ~17mm front, so still not even, but it shouldn't be as bad as what you are seeing now.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have 05 specific Prodrives and it doesn't look like the rear dropped at all, but you can tell it brought the front down a hair and gave it more of an even look.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AP,
Do you have any pics of your cat with PDE + Prodrive?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can probably mess up the internals of your struts.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahhh Austin, you are the man! I took your word for it, I ordered a set of Prodrives! Some people have said that there is less bump travel, do you think that might mess up the valving? Since it's not a drastic drop, I guess it should be fine..

Did you use the included bumpstops?

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
STEye said:
Some people have said that there is less bump travel, do you think that might mess up the valving... Did you use the included bumpstops?
Yes, I installed the prodrive bumpstops. Since they drop ~1/4", but the bump stops are 1/4" shorter, you essentially have the same travel as stock. But at max compression they would be slightly beyond what Subaru intended, so I imagine there is some increased wear involved. They shouldn't be any harder on the struts than any other aftermarket spring with cut bumpstops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts