IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what type of bulb our high beam uses?
I want to replace them so they look closer to the HID low beam color.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
9005s I believe. Check the owner's manual for sure.

I replaced mine with SilverStars. Still not HID color, better, but nothing short or high beam HIDs will match perfectly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree.. nothing will truly be the same. But for limited funds, I just want it to be a little closer.
I have had very good experience with PIAA SuperPlasma bulbs, they are very bright (at same wattage)with a light blue or purple tint and are most similar to the Xeon's on BMW's and Audi's. Japanese HID's seem to be much more white than all the other ones.
Is it 55W that's used for high beam?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually did spend a lot of money on these damn PIAA's. I got the SuperPlasma before they were DOT approved and available in US. Had to have friends bring them back from Japan for $80/pair. OUCH!! Good thing that economy was good back then, and I was pretty paranoide about them burning out, so I bought so many that I am still running on my inventory.. hahaha
But honestly you get what you pay for. I had some crappy ones before, either they look weird or they burnt out very quickly. The PIAA's are awesome in my mind. 3 years and still going in my MR2.

Are there any H1 bulbs on these Subbies?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Mister2cool said:
Are there any H1 bulbs on these Subbies?
Some of the 'enhanced' halogen light bulb reviews I came across a few weeks back on the Internet indicated that PIAA bulbs are not as bright as competing vendors' products (e.g. Phillips). Threads of the Usenet articles are making similar conclusions. I wonder whether different PIAA bulbs have different brightness.

How do you find the bright white / blueish white halogen lights in bad weather (rain / snow / fog)? I read that yellowish light (lower Kelvin?) tends to provide better visibility in bad weather conditions, which is why fog lights and all weather halogen bulbs usually yellowish in their colour tone.

Anyhow, the Canadian STi's lowbeams use H1 bulbs, but I don't think the USDM uses any H1.

-Rich

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a simple and well proven fact that yellow light panetrate better in foggy condition. That's why originally I wanted to get PIAA Ion Plasma (2200K color temp vs 4500K SuperPlasma) bulbs for fog lamp on my MR2, but couldn't get them even in Japan.
From my past experience, the blue\purple\white light worked pretty well in bad weather. But they did light up the surrounding so much that you can see a little glare when the fog is really heavy. Since I never got yellow ones that I wanted, so I couldn't really compare them.
As far as brightness goes, there maybe slight variance between brands if you really measure the output with lightmeter. The more expensive "enhanced" bulbs use exotic gas to increase the color temp and acheive higher output, and different mixture used by different manufactures could result in slightly better result. But at that point, the difference is really so small, the determining factor becomes a personal preference on brand and color.
I have used Hella, Philips and PIAA and so far PIAA was the only one that met all my expectations, so I am sticking to them. :wink:
Only if money grow on trees, I'd have HID for turn signals.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Option Code 81

also, I heard a lot about this new Phillips bulb (silver something?) Maybe I'll give that a try since I don't have any HB3 PIAA left. Anyone know where I can get the Phillips for a good price?
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes I did.. I just have some really bad short term memory. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts