IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a fully built Cosworth EJ257 block, heads, intake manifold, etc. Putting down 470wtq/442hp.

For fuel I'm running Husky 94 Octane, and do Meth injection. Also considering switching to straight race gas.

Currently running a Rotated GT30R71 @ 24'ish PSI. Thinking of going to a GTX 28 or 30 series.

Hate lag, ETS claims their TMIC intercooler ran fine with a GT35R.

Anyone here running a TMIC with these kind of power levels?

I'd like to end up on the high side of 550 AWHP, and a similar amount of torque, but with a huge, tasty powerband.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
P&L has ran Spearco TMICs on their rotated 30R and 35R kits. Not sure how much boost they were running though.

I think you're really going to be pushing it to make 550whp. I don't know if any tmic is going to be able to keep the temps down trying to hit those numbers. The meth injection will help a lot, but you're really gonna have to push the turbo. I also don't see your motor holding up very long at that power level. Good luck though trying to reach your goal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Eh, If it blows up, time for a 2.3L Destroked block that revs to 11k :D

And what Facts/Data do you have to back up that a Built, Forged Cosworth longblock will blow up @ 550 AWHP? I can find nothing on the Cosworth site stating any power limits, other than the block isn't meant for extreme high horsepower applications which to me means 700+awhp.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
There are plenty of "blown" built motors out there. Not saying it will blow up right away, but having a built motor and pushing it that hard constantly isn't going to be necessarily reliable. Plus you are throwing in meth injection which can add a bunch other variables as well. I'm all for meth injection, but only if the highest quality kit is used and it is tuned right.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My car is making 503whp on a APS TMIC. This is on E-85 so there is some chemical intercooling going on too. Running a PTE 5557 ceramic BB turbo. All is good so far after 12k miles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My car is making 503whp on a APS TMIC. This is on E-85 so there is some chemical intercooling going on too. Running a PTE 5557 ceramic BB turbo. All is good so far after 12k miles.
I know this is an old thread but I thought it'd be better for me to resurrect this one than to start a new one. I am going to be doing this very soon (in about 2 weeks with the same PTE turbo) and was wondering what supporting mods so you have?

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
this should have been posted in "built".

a rotated setup with a tmic is lame, roy. it would be especially lame in az where the underhood temps in the summer have to be nuts.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
^^^agreed, you want all the cooling you can get living in the desert. The amount of timing that gets pulled with a heatsoaked TMIC is way worse than the minute amount of additional lag you get with a FMIC

·
Registered
258 Posts
It does get pretty warm here. Even now we're in the 70's during the day. I had opted for the TMIC location for a couple reasons, one being price. I was going to use the GS unit and was getting a good price on it plus the wife had agreed on the budget and I didn't want to add another $800 +/- to the bill. Another reason was to keep the lag as minimal as possible. I have read that the lag can be minimal but seeing as the car isn't going to be tracked anytime soon (as much as it sucks to admit) I had thought that it would be a good alternative to get me around until I can dedicate more funds to the car where I can build up the motor and add a few more things to it. I have also read where it has been a successful setup for a lot of people. I'd like to keep the stealth factor up and this will help

I am open to suggestions as to what would be a better option and appreciate your input!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If you're going rotated, just forget about the top mount and go front mount. The lag from a front mount is so overrated and really only a big deal to the people that have only ever had top mounts. I have been really underwhelmed by the performance of the Grimmspeed unit in some friends' cars. If you MUST go tmic, I would go either ETS, Spearco, or maybe PW. Want stealth? There's a front mount for that:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
It does get pretty warm here. Even now we're in the 70's during the day. I had opted for the TMIC location for a couple reasons, one being price. I was going to use the GS unit and was getting a good price on it plus the wife had agreed on the budget and I didn't want to add another $800 +/- to the bill. Another reason was to keep the lag as minimal as possible. I have read that the lag can be minimal but seeing as the car isn't going to be tracked anytime soon (as much as it sucks to admit) I had thought that it would be a good alternative to get me around until I can dedicate more funds to the car where I can build up the motor and add a few more things to it. I have also read where it has been a successful setup for a lot of people. I'd like to keep the stealth factor up and this will help

I am open to suggestions as to what would be a better option and appreciate your input!
budget:
- find someone parting their car out.
- an ebay special has got to be better than a tmic for where you live.

fmic 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2.5L | eBay

listen to user and 8cd03gro about lag. have a relationship with your gear box instead of worrying about it.

your wife have a good looking sister? at least she agreed to a budget. i had to launder money past mrs. lovely.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
To help reduce lag you can reverse your intake manifold. Or get rid of the 35r and go with one of the EFR turbos.

·
Registered
258 Posts
How over rated are we talking? I really like the punch you in the face burst of power that puts you in the back of your seat. I'm not too worried about the actual numbers or the power up high.

with the front mounts, which one would you recommend? If I went FM, I have a specific way that I want the tubing routed (see pic). Perhaps I could find a core, then have my shop route piping?

I don't like it when the cooled, charged air goes back over the turbine:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
How over rated are we talking?
for most people, talking about lag is like talking about a chick they never met. if you had a 75lb compressor on a street car, the lag may be a pita because you'd always be in a lower gear to keep it in the sweet spot.

however, a 65lb compressor is the perfect match for this engine. lag is not punch. you won't be missing punch. don't worry about when a 35r comes on. youre already making way more power before it does.

·
Registered
258 Posts
for most people, talking about lag is like talking about a chick they never met. if you had a 75lb compressor on a street car, the lag may be a pita because you'd always be in a lower gear to keep it in the sweet spot.

however, a 65lb compressor is the perfect match for this engine. lag is not punch. you won't be missing punch. don't worry about when a 35r comes on. youre already making way more power before it does.
Good Point. I may be switching to a FM after all this. I already have an upgraded radiator so I really won't have to worry about cooling. Plust I plan on using a PTE 5558. The 35r is a littile bigger than I'd like to use right now. Especially since the block and all the internals will still be OEM

To help reduce lag you can reverse your intake manifold. Or get rid of the 35r and go with one of the EFR turbos.
I would love to do that. I'll probably do it when the motor eventually goes.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
How over rated are we talking? I really like the punch you in the face burst of power that puts you in the back of your seat. I'm not too worried about the actual numbers or the power up high.

with the front mounts, which one would you recommend? If I went FM, I have a specific way that I want the tubing routed (see pic). Perhaps I could find a core, then have my shop route piping?
Overrated enough. It's really not a big deal at all. I have a Perrin core with custom piping exactly the way you said you want it. Most cores will work out fine though, I just like the solid bumper beam of the Perrin core for a street car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Us Canadians on the east coast dont have to worry so much about the heat soak, we are right at sea level and have pretty cool temps all year long. That being said we have shitty 91 octane that we have to put up with :(

I have a friend thats going to be running a GT3582r and a Torx (ebay) TMIC lol. I guess we will see how it will hold up!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts