IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Replaced all water lines with braided hose and AN fittings for the water to air. Also revised the crossover pipe for BOV recirculation. Re-routed oil and fuel lines to suit cosworth inlet manifold.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Initially had the .86 rear housing with the 7164 and while it made ok numbers it was lazy. After installing a back pressure sensor in the up pipe it was clear the turbo was experiencing choke flow. A 1.03 Tial rear housing was ordered as well as a 3.5" dump pipe was fabricated...And what a difference it made! Like a different car to drive :p. Low rpm and transition onto boost is great and the thing just pulls hard on boost:cool:

Graph below is .86 rear 3" dump pipe std inlet manifold vs 1.03 rear, 3.5" dump pipe and Cosworth inlet manifold....same boost

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Have a few more mods on they way:

Cylinder 4 cooling mod (Dom's kit)
BNM ELH with individual cylinder egt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also have a 25 row oil cooler and duct behind passengers foglight...can't find the photos at present

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
AES muffler and resonator keeping the note nice and a bearable dB level...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beautiful build!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice setup. I haven’t seen the air to water intercooler too often on Subi’s. Any idea how much more boost/hp that allows for vs a stock intercooler?

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Depends how you look at it. Boost at a given IT? No gain. Thats not what it is about.
But it should gets you a few degrees more cooling and that could justify a tiny bit of boost as a side benefit.
You do it over a FMIC to get the performance of a FMIC, with the volume of a TMIC - at least that's why I want to do it. So it's about response.

You also kill heat soak from low airflow at low speeds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice setup. I haven’t seen the air to water intercooler too often on Subi’s. Any idea how much more boost/hp that allows for vs a stock intercooler?
These Plazmaman water to air cores are far superior to a stock item. This core is rated to 1000hp and they have an off the shelf kit with a 700hp rated core for stock location turbos. I went this route for a couple of reasons, 1) is the short pipe length for increased spool and 2) retain factory rebar/crashbar for insurance purposes. As for boost levels this intercooler has seen 30psi and almost 600whp and coped no problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thermocouples arrived today. Just waiting on my Motec E888 to arrive and I'll wire it up and mount next to the ecu. Going tools stage my fuel pumps and set up the Magnus Motorsport launch control/clutch release valve as well. Also toying with the idea of a rotary toggle for multiple boost setting. Still waiting for my BNM headers to arrive which can't be helped with the restrictions due to the pandemic...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Had the BNM header ceramic coated and installed the other day along with thermocouples for individual cylinder get. Absolutely amazing fitment and build quality from Evan! Still have to wire up the Motec e888 before car goes back for a tune touch up. Without tuning the car feels AMAZING!!! So smooth, boost comes on much quicker, more linear linear and it's quieter with no rasp :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts