IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently debating whether or not to do a GT30R. If I am looking for mid to high 300 awhp, do I need to build the motor? How much stress can the stock block take?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry should have searched first. I found that 450awhp is pretty much the max, if any body has any other info or personal experience that would be great.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
mk112288 said:
I am currently debating whether or not to do a GT30R. If I am looking for mid to high 300 awhp, do I need to build the motor? How much stress can the stock block take?
Do you need to build the motor? Depends on the tune and how aggressive it is. You can get the GT30R and run a conservative tune (to be on the safe side) on your motor and easily get "mid to high 300whp"... depending on the dyno. How much stress can the motor take? Some say not a lot, some say a lot. Im one of those that believe that with a good tune, the EJ25 can take some beatings. There are some people that are running GT35R setups with 500whp on the stock block with out any problems. Then today I just saw Ultimate-Racings new turbo kit on the stock block making 450whp on 93 octane. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The most seen on a stock block is 565 whp w/ a GT40R. This is with C16 race fuel. The heads on a STI is really the limiting factor and compressor stall with start showing signs above 31-34 psi. I have heard a few (4 or 5) STI's with 20k+ w/ 450 whp on pump gas. Most running the GT35R kit from either Ultimate Racing or Kingpin. I would personally not build a block if you only wanted up to 400 whp. You will need supporting mods to accomplish your objective such as, 720-850cc injectors, FMIC, 3'' TBE, boost controller, stand alone EMU (hydra, UTEC), fuel pump, fuel rails, water injection (not needed but, recommended) and maybe a clutch that could handle the extra tq. The capabilities of your tuner is really the deciding factor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Would be nice to K.I.S.S. and have a conservative tune and stock block. Sometimes OEM fit and finish can't be beat (moreso with JDM engines and not with STI blocks... some of their tolerances are straight terrible fromt he factory).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts