IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find an answer anywhere for this question, but being new to the community I may be looking in the wrong places. I was hoping someone here could help.

When building a vehicle, is it best to only build what's needed or better, for lack of a better term, to "over-build" the car? Ex: If I want the car to put out 500 whp, should I build for that and run the car at 100%, or should I build for 650 whp and have the car run at around 75%?

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
I'ts not by %. It's by part and use. But in general a little bit of overkill in many things is good. But say a turbo presents trade-offs by going "bigger"

What you need to learn is what power levels require and how much they cost. Then you can make an educated decision.

ADDED: I'll start a list of things to understand

ULH vs ELH
TMIC vs FMIC
Stock location vs rotated and the parts that go with them
4032 similar alloys vs 2618
headwork: necessity/tradeoffs/cost

What not directed power related that you should include in a build

Truth is, tif you find a great shop you just need to come up with either a budget, or a must have power you will pay anything to attain. Unless you are doing the work. Plenty of people her could give you advice.

You have a GD. How many miles are on it. Is it modded now?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I get what you're saying. Its better to have a bit more headroom when it comes to power builds. I dont think its ever good to run anything at 100% max at all times. If your power goal is 500whp then you should make sure the engine and all the supporting mods can handle that kind of power and then some. When it comes to power, i dont think the goal should be the max.

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
The issue is diminishing returns for the cost. Building a 500hp motor is one thing, but 650 is a different matter. Once you cross the 500hp mark you're going to need to upgrade a host of components like axles to be able to withstand the more than doubling of power over stock. Components will wear out faster leaving you with even more maintenance cost over and above the increased cost for the extra 150 hp.

Basically, how much budget do you have, what are your goals with the vehicle, and can you support the vehicle after the build?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts