IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Sorry I thought this would be more useful as its own thread. I drive a 2012 hatch. I stopped by my dealer today and checked out a BRZ.

The seat/rail system is radically different. Nothing is impossible and it would be possible to make brackets or spacers etc to make this work but it would not be easy.

The BRZ seats sit flat on the floor and are bolted right down directly to a flat surface. See image of rear and then front (sorry for crappy iPhone pics).

The STI rails have wacky looking brackets that sit at odd angles. The fronts bend over a hump and are angled at about 45 degrees downwards. The rears have one side that is similar to this but bent backwards in the other direction. The rear inboard mounting point sits on an intricate bracket so the bolt is at an odd angle pointed inwards. The brackets on both ends are riveted to the rails and cannot be removed without drilling them out. See below:

Some other notes. The center to center distance between the rails on the BRZ is about 16" and on the STI this is more like 17.5".

The height of the BRZ seat measured from the flat place where the rail rests to the front edge of the seat bottom is 8 inches on the passenger side and on the drivers side it is about 8-9 inches when adjusted. On the STI the range is about 9-10", again measuring from the flat spot that defines the bottom of the seat rail as the zero point. Therefore no matter what kind of brackets you made the seats would be 1" lower to start.

I think that about covers it. I am a mechanical engineer and I work for a machine shop and I desperately want to try this, but I don't think this can be tackled. Maybe if I could get a seat for free from a wreck I might consider making something, but I hate to mess with something so critical like anchor points for seats.

I don't have any info on the heaters or airbag connectors. I really wanted to see if they were the same but my guess is 99% that they would not be compatible.

UUuuggghhhhhhhh!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm actually in the process of fitting a BRZ base seat in my GR. FYI the airbag harness is different as well. I'll make a new thread when I'm successful.

467 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just seen that bracket the same day that I posted this, which is the reason I had asked. Anyone know of how the bracket and seat works in the 08+? Any height issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just seen that bracket the same day that I posted this, which is the reason I had asked. Anyone know of how the bracket and seat works in the 08+? Any height issues?
In my '12, the height was correct and you could center the seat in the space very easily, but it was still a lot of work removing the old mounting brackets from the BRZ seats and swapping electronic items that needed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts