IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cam exhast cam gear broke and has probbly bent all of my valves not sure if warrenty will cover. My mods are APS FMI,CAI and that has nothing to do with the cam pulley. Any adivice please help

·
Registered
44 Posts
HOW did you do this? I have about the same setup and am worried that this could happen to me. Another thing, this not be cheap to fix.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacement of stock USDM fog bulbs

Not sure the dealership said that the exhast cam pulley is made of a plastic type stuff and it just cracked and then shaddered

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fun in the snow...

just got back from the dealership and they are going to fix it .
They said that i just happens to during manufactuing and a curtain ppm fail and i was the luckly one to get it. I you want pics email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
??? What? You were lucky to get it? What did they mean by that? Do you know how much damage has been done? If it shattered, make sure it didnt get anywhere else down in the engine and whatnot. :(

Robert~

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they said that a certain number of parts per million are faulty not sure of full damage becouse they havent opened it up yet becouse they were waiting to get the ok to fix it, Due to the mods. but i will find out the full extent of the damage in a day or 2

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
man... so this should only be a 1 in a 10000000000 chance of happening ot other people right?

Robert~

·
Registered
586 Posts
Timothywrx said:
Not sure the dealership said that the exhast cam pulley is made of a plastic type stuff and it just cracked and then shaddered
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Plastic?!?!?!
Briggs and Stratton has been using plastic camshafts on its lawn mower engines for years. My friends and I always joked of the day when cars would have plastic camshafts. Even though it's only the cam pulley, the end of the quality automotive world is nigh.... :cry:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure about car engines, but the plastic cam gears in the briggs engines increased longevity. The plastic allows the engine to run smoother and there is less wear on the gear and at the contact point between the crank and the cam.

I know these engines pretty well, I've done a complete disassembly and rebuild on several of them.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
plastic timing pulleys for camshafts (they are not gears) are quite common. The plastic makes for longer belt life and is plenty strong in most cases. The Subaru engine uses three plastic pulleys and one metal one. This semi-technical PDF explains the pulleys a bit. This was written specifically for the EJ20, but I don't think the STi 2.5L is much different. http://www.endwrench.com/current/summer03/WRXTurboTech.pdf

Sorry to hear about the breakage, but that is definitely something the warranty fully covers. Enjoy your new top end (at least).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: our sti's awd system vs the evo's

You should push for a complete engine. You can't be sure of all the damage, especially the stress on the rods, crank, bearings, etc, from the pistons impacting the valves. The top end is not the only thing affected in this type of catastrophic failure.

Otherwise you could have a motor that lasts just a little past warranty, and well, you know...

·
Registered
586 Posts
My concern for the plastic engine parts is not so much for stock setup. If that part couldn't handle the stress, it wouldn't have been built like that in the first place. What'll happen when you run 200 hp more through that plastic part. That's why I'm leery of it...

·
Registered
65 Posts
M said:
My concern for the plastic engine parts is not so much for stock setup. If that part couldn't handle the stress, it wouldn't have been built like that in the first place. What'll happen when you run 200 hp more through that plastic part. That's why I'm leery of it...

You're not running 200 more hp through that part. It's job is to spin the cam shaft. The only way you would increase the load on a cam pulley would be to add stiffer valve springs and or a higher lift cam. If you are doing that, then i would assume you would have switched to adjustable cam gears by then anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NEW Member in Wormtown area

Im just called my dealer and i asked when they were going to start work and they said they r still waiting for the ok. They said that they sent the pic to japan for teck to look at.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
this delay is a drag, but it is a good thing that subaru is committed to learning all it can from these failures.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where can i buy the sti lightweight flywheel?

good news subaru is going to start today and are going to replace all damaged parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts