IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
only post in this thread if you have broken one...

please let us know as much of the following (if you have the info available):

• what your power modifications are/were
  • what numbers your car was laying down (HP & Torque)
  • mileage on your car at the time
  • drivetrain modifications
  • clutch you were using at the time
  • approximate # of times you launched your car
  • what you did that finally broke the axle(s)
  • what physical location on the axle broke

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
A guy from a dealer ship told me that people snap them with stock engines when you launch at 5500-600RPM. I sort of don't belive him, hard to believe that subaru would make them that weak. Is this possible to do with just a couple of hard launches??

·
Registered
422 Posts
MGizzle said:
A guy from a dealer ship told me that people snap them with stock engines when you launch at 5500-600RPM. I sort of don't belive him, hard to believe that subaru would make them that weak. Is this possible to do with just a couple of hard launches??
I remember from a thread about 3 years ago that one of the execs of Subaru NA took on the fun job of dragstrip testing of the '04 STi drivetrain. Rank has it's privileges... It supposedly took just over 100 launches to snap the right rear axle snub shaft.

Bone stock, but not just a couple of.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Subaru techs will know exactly what you were doing when you bring your car in for warranty work. Their AllData website that they use for diagnosing vehicles has a specific page dedicated to finding out how to prove you were abusing the car when the axle snapped. Let me see if I can find the page and i'll post it

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
after 200+ launches my rear driver side axle snapped on my first launch with a new exedy triple disc clutch. currently 549whp/509tq. I've launched my car multiple times with whp as high as 590 with no problems. My axles dont like my exedy triple disc, cause after replacing the stock axles with dss axles, I broke something else on my very next launch. taking everything apart tomorrow to see what is broken.

with that being said, I believe the stock axles will hold 500+ for a long time as long as your not dropping the clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
well our axles are the weak link and I like it that way. I would rather break an axle then the tranny or other major component....I've broken two now on the C16 map running over 500 WHp...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Majin said:
only post in this thread if you have broken one...

please let us know as much of the following (if you have the info available):
  • what your power modifications are/were
  • what numbers your car was laying down (HP & Torque)
  • mileage on your car at the time
  • drivetrain modifications
  • clutch you were using at the time
  • approximate # of times you launched your car
  • what you did that finally broke the axle(s)
  • what physical location on the axle broke
just did it friday night! launched around 5000 and 6000 rpm slipped the clutch and snap she went! I was on the track and she finally decided to hook up and it couldnt handle it! gonna take it in today and see how warranty goes! gonna reallign the clips on the cv boot! keep you updated! oh yeah im basicly am stock ecu reflash, lightweight crank pulley and turboback exhaust.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
here's a pic of my broken axle

after installing new dss axles, I broke this on my first launch

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hey it finally happened. I was at the track frid. night and bam i broke my left rear axle. I had the perfect launch and heard something pop. I let off the throttle and decided to coast all the way down the strip. I heard this loud clicking noise until i parked in the parking lot. I called Subaru and got it towed to the closest dealership. They told me that since my motor is technically stock and the the turbo is stock, that they WILL cover it under warranty. :D

As for my mods, i have tein flex coilovers, short throw shifter, protuned ap with water/meth, and falken Azenis RT615's 245/40/18's(they're 2 weeks old)

·
Registered
307 Posts
jasv11 said:
Is it possible to drive the car slowely home at all after this happens as long as its not wacking anything back there?
Not recommended. You run the risk of the cv joint entirely disintegrating and the axle dropping entirely off the wheel side, flopping around, and creating lots more damage.

Ever wonder why high powered drag cars have drive shaft loops under the drive shaft? To keep them from dropping down and the car pole vaulting over the drive shaft (assuming it was the front u-joint that let loose, instead of the rear)

·
Registered
402 Posts
well as of last night i can join the club......my car has 40,500 miles and im the second owner. I have utec and tbe....i launched it a 5500 at capitol raceway and pop.

·
Registered
402 Posts
well we tore it apart the other day and it snapped inside the cv joint...the new axle is in at my dealer today so i am going to pick it up and install tonight.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i broke both of my front axles, doing donuts how stupid but i was excited, it was my second month with the STi,had one replaced by the dealer and the other one i had to buy, they didnt brake instantly at the time but later as i used my car they started making noise at WOT, at first i thought it was probably a bearing that i neede to replace then found out it was both of the axles, when the dealer replaced the front left one the noise went away, sometimes at WOT and making a sharp turn it made the noise, i lived for 2 months with my axle like this and just ordered a new one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts